Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do you have cool ideas for a game in the "Dwarf Fortress" - "Rimworld" style ?  (Read 4008 times)

Kiskara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:59:52 pm by Kiskara »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

You'll want this board. Or possibly this one.

Also, PTW the shitstorm.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

* TheBiggerFish PTWs in a sort of morbid fascination as to what will happen here.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I mean, it's almost as if someone set out to design the perfect storm of "this is why we don't like advertisement". I do feel bad, though, since I didn't really give any feedback.

Kiskara: I'll lay out two things for you, the first being why this was a bad idea, and the second being why Rimworld is pretty much the only DF clone worth remembering.

Part the first:, or: So you decided to advertise your game on B12...

1. ...except you only joined the community to advertise your game...
2. ...which is explicitly another boring DF knockoff...
3. ...which you managed to describe while shit-talking the game of choice of the audience you're aiming for...
4. ...with sweeping and only marginally accurate generalizations...
5. ...which also demonstrate that you suffer from one of the most critical problem of would-be devs...
6. ...as showcased by your lack of understanding of the difference between latency and FPS as more than buzzwords...
7. ...as well as your statement that you're the "team's" artist and that you're looking for programmers to do your work for you...
8. ...despite earlier stating that you don't need technical advice...
9. ...which, when paired with unrealistic and oft-repeated goals in the vein of "we're going to remake DF, except without any of the problems, and with full 3D/isometric/sprite-based/&c. graphics"...
10. ...and the fact that you did all of the above without posting even a tech demo, or even something as simple as a roadmap or game art (that is, art that isn't random stuff you've drawn)...
11. ...suggests that you are (say it with me) Yet Another "Dev" With Unrealistic Expectations Looking For Other People To Do The Work, specifically oriented around grabbing whatever scraps of market haven't already been covered by the existing lot of sub-par DF clones which started out with the same intentions.

Part the second, or: Why Rimworld is the only good DF clone.

1. Because it's not a DF clone. Or, more specifically:
2. Because the devs understood the heart of what made DF popular and captured that, then built their own interesting and distinct game around it. Hint: It's not "dwarves digging and building".
3. Tynan wasn't a member of B12 before posting the thread for Rimworld, however:
4. He didn't post until he had an extant demo--that is, a game which actually existed--and a video showcasing it, along with a summary of features which were already in.
5. He didn't come here to ask for programmers to work on his idea (note that this behavioral pattern is also often indicative of the quality of KS and other projects relating to games).
6. He didn't open by insulting DF (yes, we're aware of the flaws, and we enjoy it regardless--that should probably warrant a moment of thought) or by drastically misunderstanding the sort of people which enjoy it; Rimworld was in fact designed to hit a lot of the same buttons.
7. He didn't open by asking for ideas; those were freely offered by the people who were interested in what he had.

So in summary: You came here to advertise your nonexistent game while critically misunderstanding the mindset that you're trying to appeal to (single-player campaign? specific goals? Literally antithetic to the essence of DF) and demonstrating a lot of the classic marks of projects doomed to failure or development hell. It's as I said above, an astonishing pileup of warning signs. Sorry for being so blunt about it. :(
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 09:50:04 am by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Community service badge for FD!

Saying what needed to be said without being a dick about it.

Now, if you're willing to stick around, participate, show us your project, get us interested in it then I see no problem with folks helping you out if you need it. So  I do hope you stick around, mostly because we can always use more art types ^^
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Yep. No reason that a bad first impression has to be the only impression. If you stick around, you'll find that you'll garner far more interest for good original work than you will for another stab at a simplified non-ASCII/tileset DF clone--it doesn't even have to be a game!

3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

snip

This post should be archived for future use.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

In a post titled: "How NOT to proposition the DF community on your DF clone."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kiskara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 05:00:11 pm by Kiskara »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

...Kiskara, this is actually a community forum, not a company forum.
But seriously, you kind of both need to ask here to get the opinion of the DF players, and need to not ask that particular set of questions here to avoid making the DF players start magma-ing you in effigy.
...The words you posted on this forum were attacks on DF, no matter who originated them.
...And it's advertising.  You mentioned you're making a game.  This is, in a broad sense of the word, advertising for that game.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

So yes sorry again to post on your company forum.

This might seem like a nitpick but it's actually kinda important.  There isn't a Bay12 company.  There's just Tarn Adams.  His brother chips in a little too.  What people love about dwarf fortress is that it's Toady's labor of love.  I think he was asked once when it would be done and he said something like "maybe in 30 years, no promises."  That "%1" you dont like is what makes Dwarf Fortress so awesome.  The gameplay is all the complexities of the game.  I felt fucking proud the first time I managed to get a fort to have the entire production chain of thread up to clothing.  Sure there is demand for a streamlined dwarf fortress, it's called the city builder genre.  It's got games like SimCity, Tropico, Majesty, Caesar.  I love the genre, but it's something different from dwarf fortress and it's very saturated.  You could compete in the genre, look at what Banished did, but dont think that your dwarf fortress clone is breaking new ground here.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Kiskara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 05:00:23 pm by Kiskara »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Just be aware, plenty of other people have been warned that so many previous attempts have crashed and burned.  Dont realize six months from now you have wasted six months on an impossible project.  Realize right now that you need an achievable goal and work towards that.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Also the best way to get a feel for a forum/community and how it works is to kinda go and be a part of it. The way you're going about it seems very insincere and kinda douchey imho. Because all you seem to be doing is a survey and promoting whatever you're making, not really caring to be a part of the community. Another telling thing is that you have others write this stuff for you, instead of y'know, reading up the forums for a day or two to figure out what generally goes and going in without a script so to speak.

And if your friend who wrote the intro post did frequent these forums he would've known that posts like those are not really liked or appreciated here :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Also the best way to get a feel for a forum/community and how it works is to kinda go and be a part of it. The way you're going about it seems very insincere and kinda douchey imho. Because all you seem to be doing is a survey and promoting whatever you're making, not really caring to be a part of the community. Another telling thing is that you have others write this stuff for you, instead of y'know, reading up the forums for a day or two to figure out what generally goes and going in without a script so to speak.

And if your friend who wrote the intro post did frequent these forums he would've known that posts like those are not really liked or appreciated here :V
Yeah, mostly this.
Sigtext

Pages: [1] 2