Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 96

Author Topic: Might and Fealty (Beyond Battlemaster: Sandbox Strategy-RPG Medieval RP)  (Read 136598 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Might and Fealty (Incredible new Sandbox strategy-RPG medieval RP game)
« Reply #360 on: November 15, 2015, 08:08:08 am »

I think you're extrapolating from very few data points and factors, and little experience, basically. You're not necessarily wrong, but I'm not going to be basing any policy decisions off that just yet.

Well, I'm just giving you my raw numbers. The market was going to take over 1 week for my town, which was grasslands so perhaps no wood and definitely no metal. Boosting workers got it done in a day. Overall, population ended up falling by about 100 while it was built. Perhaps the town where you built a market in a day with only a few workers did in fact have a metal supply or similar?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 08:09:50 am by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #361 on: November 15, 2015, 08:16:37 am »

It's not completely finished yet, which puts it at maybe a day and a half or two days (can't check, not there right now) It's also in grassland. Ehndras has a similar thing before - it's just that you came off as advocating quite strongly for it as objectively the best way to run a settlement in the long term.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 15, 2015, 08:24:58 am »

We were talking about how to get the food surpluses needed to build the really big cities. What I said in terms of that is definitely the correct way to look at things in the long term - you want to fire any farmer who doesn't produce at least his own feed. Sure, you could technically have more people than this in the village, but you're going to be shipping less food out to the big city.

Ratharing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 15, 2015, 08:27:07 am »

Also how do we join the Children of Armok realm? I can't find any of those interaction buttons anywhere.

You need to get in interaction range of any member of the realm you wish to join, not necessarily the ruler. Then Politics > Relations.

However, the information about return from farmers here does seem to say that there's really no downside to constructing everything you can construct, as the workers in the building really aren't missed from the overall food production picture.

There are two downsides. The minor is the workforce employed by the building, which could be working elsewhere. The major is that buildings consume resources, so if you make stables prepare to have a nice food drain in your settlement.

But this system is heavily exploitable. Towns which are anywhere near the cap in this system are massively inefficient. it is similar to Zeno's Paradox of the Tortoise and Achilles". You can maximize production by working out at which point the farmers hit break-even point, then switching everyone over that to some other job.

Actually, you are only taking one variable into account: food. What you say is true if you want to maximize it and disregard the rest. If you want to produce wealth (gold), then you'll need a higher population. Every building consumes resources. Temples (wealth producers), for example, will consume more than they produce at low populations. Same with several others, as building productivity is heavily correlated with population and resource supply.

Whilst I don't know if economic security has any direct impact on the game, it's also decreased by a low populaton.

It does. Economic security directly influences productivity. A certain number of militia will make the population grow (as the food productivity will rise, along with the rest of the resources). Past a certain level, the population will shrink again (as militia produce half of what peasants produce, and at some point the benefit from economic security will be eclipsed by the inefficiency of a large militia). So if you will increase productivity for giving a settlement around 50-100 militiamen, plus defensive structures (palisade, wood walls, so on).

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #364 on: November 15, 2015, 08:28:58 am »

Ah, in that case yes, definitely. Sorry, under a bit of stress right now and probably lashing out a bit more than I should. My bad.

So, does anyone mind if I kill off my Void character to found the True Bloods of the Black Road instead? Since there's significant interest(well, Ratharing), and the Void is hitting the backburner a bit anyway. I'll have loadsa free time to watch it over the next week or so, and then I'm only busy for a few days before I go back to loadsa free time.

Ratharing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 15, 2015, 09:12:05 am »

So, does anyone mind if I kill off my Void character to found the True Bloods of the Black Road instead? Since there's significant interest(well, Ratharing), and the Void is hitting the backburner a bit anyway. I'll have loadsa free time to watch it over the next week or so, and then I'm only busy for a few days before I go back to loadsa free time.

Set a heir from The Void before killing your character, if you hold troops and/or estates.

Join the IRC chat if you want to coordinate the foundation of that realm of yours.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 16, 2015, 03:08:39 am »

How are things in the west going  so far ?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 16, 2015, 04:44:48 am »

Well I guess they're going pretty good but the area we're in is getting way too crowded. We should really have settled further west. Some people really want to get out to the far west mountains and get mining happening.

Also, trouble brewing in Rathgar, massive OOC rants in their realm conversation, beligerent rivals threatening civil war. Not sure how much that will play out, but it's interesting to watch.

EDIT: having only 4 character started to get to me, so I bumped for a subscription. I have created Cacame Awemedinade and he will create the Mountainhome kingdom in the northwest of the continent. Gonna make some generals for him who will also have dwarf names. Am looking for some players who want to have dukes in the kingdom.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 05:43:39 am by Reelya »

Ratharing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 16, 2015, 06:05:32 am »

Well I guess they're going pretty good but the area we're in is getting way too crowded. We should really have settled further west. Some people really want to get out to the far west mountains and get mining happening.

There are no mountains in the far west... Whatcha talking about?

You should grab the Void regions between Ryne and Hawks if you want easy mountains nobody else is caring for.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 16, 2015, 06:05:56 am »

...... Yes.  Yes.  ALL HAIL KING CACAME!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 16, 2015, 06:06:33 am »

There are no mountains in the far west... Whatcha talking about?

You should grab the Void regions between Ryne and Hawks if you want easy mountains nobody else is caring for.

Excuse my noobishness, I thought the grey was mountains :/

Okay, Cacame is a go, and I made his wife as well as a dwarfy general or two.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 06:08:25 am by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #371 on: November 16, 2015, 06:19:39 am »

Ehndras, you've made it extremely difficult for me to join you. As things stand, I can't actually get anywhere close to reaching you before Rathgar takes over everything South of Charilos.

I'd make the Spearbreakers their own realm, but since Tom hates free players free accounts are crippleware I can't do that, I'm a bit stuck. Making our own realm would at least make us get taken a bit more seriously.

I've briefly (very briefly) discussed the idea of making the Spearbreakers into a mostly-autonomous border realm with the Children with Reelya, and it's very tempting, especially if you can do remote realm-creation.

The other option is I go 'sod it all' and accept the merger with Arrowdale I've been offered, as an Armok-worshipping province.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:03:29 am by Arx »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 16, 2015, 11:15:15 am »

EDIT: having only 4 character started to get to me, so I bumped for a subscription. I have created Cacame Awemedinade and he will create the Mountainhome kingdom in the northwest of the continent. Gonna make some generals for him who will also have dwarf names. Am looking for some players who want to have dukes in the kingdom.

Oh carp, so full of awesome. Only Cacame can tame the badlands to the far west.

It seems that the Children of Armok could get rather bloody in time. If Rathgar is falling into civil war, that may make things very interesting indeed.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:29:20 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Ratharing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 16, 2015, 12:47:15 pm »

Ehndras, you've made it extremely difficult for me to join you. As things stand, I can't actually get anywhere close to reaching you before Rathgar takes over everything South of Charilos.

Do understand that Rathgar is not a realm in the sense Magvel, Ascalon and Arrowdale are. Not even the Lowlands Confederacy (duchy level) you are bordering in the east is. It is a gathering of clans for communication purposes, nothing else. You can deal with them individually, and they even go to war against each other.

Check the map on a county level to get a clearer picture of the political landscape in western Rathgar.

I've briefly (very briefly) discussed the idea of making the Spearbreakers into a mostly-autonomous border realm with the Children with Reelya, and it's very tempting, especially if you can do remote realm-creation.

Yes, you can do remote realm-creation, once you have sworn fealty to the realm and aligned your regions to it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #374 on: November 16, 2015, 01:33:25 pm »

Ooh, I keep forgetting that. Maybe I'll go feud with Tor Graves or something, then.

Also, Tor Vanhalen. I like it.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 96