Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Duelyst  (Read 7957 times)

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
Duelyst
« on: October 22, 2015, 04:12:48 am »

Quote from: From the Wiki
DUELYST is a competitive strategy game focused on tactical combat, squad building, and ranked ladder play. Each battle is a 1v1 match between two online opponents. Gameplay in DUELYST is turn-based, with players taking turns to play cards from their hand to cast powerful spells, equip mighty artifacts, or summon deadly minions to move and attack on the battlefield on their behalf. Each match is fast-paced (less than 10 minutes) with a simple winning objective: reduce the enemy General's health to zero before they can do so to you.

Choose from 6 Factions to play, each with their own unique minions and positioning capabilities.
    Build your custom squad from over 300 battle units, spells, and artifacts.
    For latest Patch Notes, see Duelyst Patch 0.48.0.
    Available for Win PC, Mac OSX, and Linux for Winter 2015.

Has anybody been playing this? It entered Open Beta today and I have to say that I've been impressed with what I've played so far. The game is exactly as it says above, a competitive turn-based multiplayer game and it's really fun and really pretty. Unfortunately I'm awful at it, I've played three games and lost each one but still, fun.

Website

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duelyst
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 05:43:16 am »

Got bored with the slow tutorial, played a few games and lost half of them. Played it again later and lost interest. Not sure what this audacious art-style and story is based off of or if it's just.. "original". It's pretty lame though. Muscletastic -but lame. The multiplayer experience so far doesn't seem that different from all of these other card clonelikes popping up. You know, the card game clones trying to cash in on the hearthstone business model. Duelyst isn't strictly a card game but it may as well be. Still found it entertaining for a bit and that counts for something.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 01:28:12 pm »

Can you play with a friend specifically?  I might give this a shot with my roommate if so.

Edit:  Nevermind, I just looked into it and its just another pay-to-win piece of crap.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:09:30 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 09:18:00 am »

Thirdly, it's not pay-to-win. You can pay for booster packs with real-cash (which you can also buy with in-game cash) but that's it. Obviously paying means you can accumulate cards quicker than someone who doesn't, but there's no exclusive cash-only cards, and there's no guarantee of getting what you want just because you put down money.

How is that not pay to win?  That is exactly what pay to win means, you can pay to have an advantage over others.  In this case, you get more cards which is an advantage.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 09:41:11 am »

Without spending money, I unlocked all the cards of a nation, playing less than a dozen games with them.
It may be because it's still new and that there aren't many cards per nation, but it also means it's easy to have a really viable deck.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 09:45:24 am »

Sure, but its in Beta at the moment.  They'll crank the grind level up as soon as its out I'm sure.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 11:56:29 am »

Looks like something that should be on mobile, but isn't, and I won't play as a result. Not too big a fan of card games anyway.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 03:07:57 am »

Is the Vanar Challenge for the Vault of Generations bugged? I can't seem to pass it.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 03:38:25 am »

Gave it a try.  Dunno if I like it, I guess I'm too new to really get anything but it felt like there wasn't much actual strategy.  Just throwing things on a flat space and losing cause he had a ranged thign.
Shoes...

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 06:09:52 am »

Is the Vanar Challenge for the Vault of Generations bugged? I can't seem to pass it.

Only buff your infiltrator. Focus on the lower guard. Go with the other mob so it dies, then finish it with your champ. Then your infil will gain +2 thanks to being on the opposite side of the field and it's finished. The walls, place them so they won't hinder your movement.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 11:04:44 am »

Looks like a weird tactical version of Hearthstone, with some very generic looking races.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 01:30:38 pm »

So what are the different factions' specialties?  I was playing Vanar cause vikings are rad.
Shoes...

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 07:29:49 pm »

I haven't played much but personally favour the Magmar because their big dumbness suits my big dumb playstyle. I've played against some Vetruvian and Abyssian players and they can be pretty bloody irritating though.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 08:36:02 am »

Kinda cool. It's frustrating to only have a single Vespers card for my buff to buff. Also, Golem Artificer is actually pretty strong. And the 3/3 deathrattle 3/3 is also pretty cool.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 01:29:23 pm »

For anyone who hasn't jumped into the fray yet, use "redditpals" as referral link to get 100g from the getgo.

The game is fantastic as far as CCGs go, giving you 2 draws at the end of the turn and having the possibility to mulligan a card of your choice per turn skews the game towards the more skillful player instead of the luckier guy. Which in turn can make you even saltier than in HS, because here you can either blame yourself for shitty plays, or the fact that your opponent simply has a better deck, but almost never on RNG.
Pages: [1] 2