Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My (boringish) discovery of a wonderful thing: cage trap  (Read 1224 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My (boringish) discovery of a wonderful thing: cage trap
« on: March 30, 2008, 01:26:00 am »

Yes, while many amongst ye have been toying with these for months, even years, I have built my first today.

As my fort crashed over the 100 dwarf population count, I was running out of things to build. I had 2 very strategically placed archer walkways across the only path into my base which is moated, walled, and weapon trapped at intervals, I have a three story tower above the only entrance into my subterranean section of my fort, which also has my gate lever, I have a large army, near limitless food supplies, lots of crafts for selling if need be, a wall that encompasses half of the map with only a single route inside (and therefore keeping everything I don't want near my people away).

So I am getting bored. As I have heard lovely things about making goblin arenas and such, and my archers need some live targets, I decide to build one of my own. I make an "island" which is surrounded by a channel, and the only way in is through a hole in the cieling or a trapped door which lets my people scavenge armor and weapons from the deceased. Surrounding this island, across the channel, are fortifications which my marksdwarves can shoot through.

But, how can I get something to shoot at? Cage traps, of course! And, having been buying cages of dogs, I had about 30 lying around. I build a 4x3 cage trap cluster in the front of the road that leads to my base: anything that wants in must pass by these traps.

Within a season of building these traps, I have caught over a dozen goblins: all of which end up being slaughtered by my marksdwarves.

So, I end up with a limitless means of entertainment, and a great way to train defenders.

It's a shame I didn't try the cage trap before, it is quite fun.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My (boringish) discovery of a wonderful thing: cage trap
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:58:00 am »

Yeah i made my first yesterday and put the resulting gobbos in my dog pit/execution by crossbow chambers. that was amusing  :D.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

I have a giant labrynth (sp?) beneath my fort with a tamed hydra, tamed dragon, and packs of war dogs that I chuck goblins into.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »

One use for cage traps is to train up your brain-damaged warriors, who otherwise won't spar.

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

Currently I'm running a Goblin Blender with my caged goblins. I built a shaft about 5-zlevels deep with weapon traps at the bottom and chuck them in. Also have a floodgate "door" to the room so that I can later collect the spoiles. Oddly enough the blender floor is on the same level as my Nobles quarters.... hhhhmmm... how to get rid of nobles.... hahahahahah.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 07:57:00 pm »

Dwarfy McMayor: "Oops! Sorry Baroness, I forgot to shut the floodgate door. What's that? You understand? Awfully nice of you, seeing as it resulted in your brutal death. Okay boys, you can hall this corpse away now!"
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »

To be perfectly honest though, Only one goblin "survived" the fall. He was fairly well ripped apart, but had enough life left to crawl into the next weapon trap. My most recent puree victim activated the trap before I could have claimed him "landed". The traps had thrown chunks of him all over the pit.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 09:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Untelligent:
<STRONG>I have a giant labrynth (sp?) beneath my fort with a tamed hydra, tamed dragon, and packs of war dogs that I chuck goblins into.</STRONG>

How do you tame those kinds of things?

Wouldn't moving them to the kennels let them escape?

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 06:46:00 pm »

You tame animals by giving them food.  Letting them out would be folly indeed.