Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Biomes that you know about but have never played  (Read 5169 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Biomes that you know about but have never played
« on: October 20, 2015, 06:11:47 pm »

Was looking around my latest 'Extreme Environments' world, and discovered there are at least 3 different types of Desert :o  Who knew?  Got me thinking about all the possible combinations that I have seen, but never actually experienced.  The top of my list for that is Desert and a proper Jungle (Tropical Broadleaf).  What sort of Biome combos have you never played?  What about Good/Evil aligned?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Biomes that you know about but have never played
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 07:35:24 pm »

I have never tried to play a glacier, I guess it would be pretty cool, never played in a swamp/wetlands either.  can anyone tell me what they're like?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 08:03:55 pm »

I embarked in an evil biome once.  A flock of undead ravens spawned on the edge of the map an instant after I unpaused the first time, and slaughtered my entire expedition before I was able to dig out even 40 tiles.

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 08:11:14 pm »

I have never tried to play a glacier, I guess it would be pretty cool, never played in a swamp/wetlands either.  can anyone tell me what they're like?

I did that, it's easier than it seems. Just tunnel into the caverns and you're laffin. Just remember that you have to construct a stair at the bottom of the ice sheet.
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 03:34:57 am »

Mangrove Swamps and Arctic Glaciers.

I've been rocking custom world gens since 34.11, and I've cut out oceans from the prerequisites, in favor of generating more space for lakes to form. I've since played a variety of biomes, and found out I disliked temperate and freezing biomes.
Through the joys of community fortresses, I was able to experience desert biomes and major rivers. Those didn't appeal to me as much either. So I haven't seen any action with glaciers, though a frozen glacier next to a terrifying arctic ocean is on my bucket list of biomes to play.

I've mostly been on a tropical savage swamp + savage lake biome binge since 34.11, ever since I found out you could get domesticated tigermen from the elves. That feature went away in the new version, but I'm still rocking the swamps and lakes for taming exotic giant tigers, hippos and alligators. Really like savage swamps due to the giant cats you can find there. Lakes are there for the easy non flowing water source with a chance for hippos.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 04:13:37 am »

Yeah I've been genning worlds like mad trying to find a nice swamp/marsh that's not out in the middle of nowhere. I think I've finally got one with high savagery that has nearby elves and humans (I forget if there's goblins, but if things get boring I'll just piss the elves off a bit).

I kind of want to try a volcano embark because I haven't yet done anything with magma, but I haven't found a good one yet. Also arctic and deserts, though I'm wary of the lack of wood.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 04:40:39 am »

For moi it would be the blissful biomes as well as an ocean embark.

many of em are broken currently imo due to the sexual appetite of trees.
Currently digging up the whole damned surface of my dry savannah biome to combat the bark folk, for they hath turned my half-desert eden into a fps-hungry forest.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 05:17:16 pm »

One of my favorite things in this game is to fiddle with world-gen settings. I've played at least a few game years in every biome except desert and glacier, mostly because I don't like the lack of trees and water.

I kind of want to try a volcano embark because I haven't yet done anything with magma, but I haven't found a good one yet. Also arctic and deserts, though I'm wary of the lack of wood.

I personally enjoy a volcano next to a major river. It gives you the best of both worlds, although sometimes it can be hard to find iron. Surface magma lets you make metal products and deadly traps/moats quite easily.

Do you guys have a preference for evil/neutral/good?

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 05:51:24 pm »

I personally enjoy a volcano next to a major river. It gives you the best of both worlds, although sometimes it can be hard to find iron. Surface magma lets you make metal products and deadly traps/moats quite easily.

Do you guys have a preference for evil/neutral/good?
I'm tempted to try the volcano in my current world out, though it's on an island out in the ocean by itself, so it would be boring as hell and hard with minimum dwarf count...but lots of water, even if it's salty, and it's a forested area :|a

I like neutral, mostly because it has the more interesting creatures. I haven't delved too much into good biomes yet, but the one fort I had was nice because of those sun berries. Haven't been brave enough to try an evil biome yet, I've heard too many bad things about those ;;
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 07:25:02 pm »

The goody-goody biomes. I tried one once for about five minutes, took a look at the local flora, and abandoned.

Terrifying is my preference, but neutral with medium savagery is better for megaprojects if you're not Loud Whispers. Evil just supplies so much challenge with its non-bestial aspects...but yes, I would have liked some fauna larger than boars in my current embark. (Zombifying weather, so it would have been extra !!FUN!!)

Oh, and if it counts, I've never settled
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glaciers are fun though, getting polar bears drunk and all. A little boring after a while because you end up sealing yourself off to survive and you often don't have neighbors. Something like the site of Roomcarnage is tempting...

Gotta say, though, all my favorite locations have been gorges. I had one in a few plains biomes, and another in a badlands biomes. Both were legit.

And there was one time I found a 50 or 100z slope (45 degrees and steeper) to build a glorious mountainhome in. Never finished that...

The real question: do you guys prefer flatlands or varied terrain for castles/above-ground construction?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 07:43:19 pm »

Sunberries and Unicorn bone are my primary reasons for seeking out Good-aligned, but Giant Eagles & Turtles are fun as well.  When I want to make above ground contructions, I prefer serious Hills or a Mountain.  Building into and around an existing vertical structure is much easier than needing to do the whole thing yourself.

I wanted to check off a Biome from my to-do list.  My latest Fortress straddles 2 Deserts, 1 red and 1 yellow.  No sign of Giant Scorpions thus far, but I did discover a Magma Pipe in the first Cavern layer :D  I am now sending my Miners out in all directions in an attempt to find some magma safe stone :-\  I will laugh (cry) if there is nothing magma safe in a Desert.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 07:48:00 pm »

Gotta say, though, all my favorite locations have been gorges. I had one in a few plains biomes, and another in a badlands biomes. Both were legit.

And there was one time I found a 50 or 100z slope (45 degrees and steeper) to build a glorious mountainhome in. Never finished that...

The real question: do you guys prefer flatlands or varied terrain for castles/above-ground construction?

Is a gorge an official map feature, or just something you found by looking at elevations?

And varied-terrain all the way, I get bored to tears playing on a flat map (unless I'm doing a caverns-only deal). One of my favorite things is to build walls that follow the natural curve of rivers/cliffs.

This is my central courtyard. There is a river 4 z-levels bellow, along the blue line.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 08:44:01 pm »

Nice. If I end up with cool terrain, I never want to build on it :P I was very much a fan of varied terrain in Minecraft because it was 3D and easier to view, but in DF I'm kind of a fan of flat, for building purposes, at least. Building is so slow and convoluted that complicated surfaces are hard to match unless you just lay a foundation down or something to level it out.

And what I call a gorge is just a river cutting through a plateau. The best ones are the intersection of two rivers; sometimes you get a waterfall down the side of the gorge. So yeah, I looked at elevations to find them.

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 09:52:42 pm »

And what I call a gorge is just a river cutting through a plateau. The best ones are the intersection of two rivers; sometimes you get a waterfall down the side of the gorge. So yeah, I looked at elevations to find them.

Quite the embark profile, I found it for my current fort.

I do ponder whether toady may allow for waterfalls of a greater magnitude in the future, heavy on the fps perhaps but must be quite the place to build something.

More specific biomes, such as desert canyons, bogs(treeless swamps) and more varied mountains/rock formations based on specific stratum that occur there.

Limestone spires, rounded granite hills and sheer sandstone cliffs come to mind. 

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 09:59:17 pm by Camulus »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 10:17:13 pm »

Major rivers are pretty awesome, I'd recommend them :D They're huuuuuuuge
Pages: [1] 2 3 4