Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: History and Art  (Read 765 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
History and Art
« on: October 19, 2015, 10:06:38 am »

Is there any way to play with what events are eligible to show up in engravings, statues, figurines and decorations? I'm a bit sick of having my fortress covered in engravings of dwarves producing masterwork crafts and the slaughtering of tame animals, and not my military reducing creeping eyes into fine paste.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: History and Art
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 12:39:14 pm »

For decorations, search decoration or art in the civ, I'm not sure which. Art: number or something, perhaps, will apply to all art of this kind.

tl;dr the entity, civilisation file will get you what you need after a bit of fiddling.
One wheel short of a wagon

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 02:58:18 pm »

Employ amateurs. It seems that the more skilled an engraver/artisan gets, the more he starts going after arbitrary historical events (which can be limited to like two total, it seems) instead of the art dictated by entity settings.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 02:20:30 pm »

I've looked at my fort in legend mode, and it appears that every tame animal I've ever had is a historical figure, and the production of every masterwork ever was recorded as a historical event. So maybe my problem can be solved by changing what events and figures get recorded as historical events and figures; is there any way to change that?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 04:34:27 pm »

So maybe my problem can be solved by changing what events and figures get recorded as historical events and figures; is there any way to change that?
Nope, that's hardcoded.
Fortress members are recorded as historical figures so you can see what happens to them as the world continues on/view history of what happened to them. Tamed animals should only be included if they get named by some means (becoming a pet, usually), to my knowledge, though.

The real problem you're facing isn't that those are historical events, it's that the other things aren't.
Dwarves don't care about some random creeping eyes. They would care about a dragon, though.
Get a siege or two and you'll start getting plenty of images of dwarves fighting with goblins.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries