Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Downwell  (Read 1119 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Downwell
« on: October 19, 2015, 03:37:53 am »

So, a random Jim Sterling video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6q4eZc22sA

As it turns out, ten minutes of gameplay is enough to get me to buy this 3 euro gold nugget.

Now, for those either too lazy or unable to watch that video, downwell is a rougelite platformer in which you jump down this wierd well and try to get as far as possible using your gunboots and anything else you might find along the way. Different enemies, different powerups, shops, progression even in death (that's the rougelite bit methinks) and a neat retro style that goes all the way and is both simple and easy to read at a glance once you learn which enemy is which.

I also found it great because single runs are really short (atleast until I get better, hopefully) so you can have a couple of rounds in ten minutes and be on your way well satisfied by what you accomplished. Also it's really easy to pick up with only like three buttons to use but there's a lot to getting the timing right and comboing stuff and deciding which weapons work best for you and it's really fun and dirt cheap so you should totally go play it.

Oh yeah, steam store linky: http://store.steampowered.com/app/360740/
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Downwell
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 11:26:20 am »

Sleep Cycles has a good series of Downwell just started. Best I've seen because:

1: He bothers to play the game a bit before putting a vid up (ie: he can play pretty well in comparison to the others and has a clue of what stuff is).

2: It's a series, which gives an idea of if it'll hold your interest (3$ worth of playtime is pretty easy to judge).

3: He has a cool accent.

Here's part 1 of the series: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iioP-Fu3YCY
It's a game. Have fun.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 12:19:25 pm »

I can't get enough of this game, and for $3 I had no problem double dipping. (iOS, PC)
Gameplay is swift enough that doing a level here and there on the go is still satisfying, but it's nice to be able to play with an actual gamepad once I'm home.

I only wish there were more meaningful upgrades, as I tend to always go after the same handful (shop membership card, gem sick, youth if still in the earlier levels.) After that it feels like I'm just picking weak upgrades just to avoid the double edged or ineffective ones (rocket jump, stomp blast, damaging shells etc)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 03:10:44 pm »

Is it really that good?  I keep going to put it on my wishlist and then choosing not to because the screenshots look kinda bad.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 05:18:32 pm »

Well, I'm normally pretty forgiving of graphics, but I have a hard time justifying spending money on a nigh-monochrome game in this day and age unless its pretty freaking interesting.    :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 05:22:32 pm »

Check some videos, would be my suggestion. There's full playthroughs flapping around youtube at this point (which doesn't take long at all -- probably less than 30 minutes if you're actually capable of finishing the game), and plenty of folks dipping their feet into the game (and getting pasted across the screen :P). Still screenshots are very much not going to give an appropriate feel for what this game is like.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 10:38:09 pm »

On powerups, Rocket jump is rather nice to start up a combo with or to get rid of anything above you.

Then there's the whole ultimate combo of Gem Vaccum/Charge with Gems/Drone (along with any weapon with lowish charges per shot). It almost turns into a vertical space shooter at that point.

Can't wait till this is on Android for those boring lunchtimes.

Other things. Combos cap out their bonuses after about 25 (one charge, one life).

Swinging arms style isn't bad if you pick up ALL the weapons, just for the charge/life bonuses. Levitate style is amazing.

MASSIVE SPOILERS (the whole game in one 483 kill combo, WR. It turns out it can be done with levitation style. No, it's not me playing). http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5LIZJHbnDEQ
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 11:22:14 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.