Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 175

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 261760 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #2550 on: August 17, 2024, 12:30:18 am »

Israel and Egypt don’t allow international journalists access to Gaza, so where are the Western media supposed to get their news from? Israel have proven themselves to be less than reliable narrators of their actions, understandably so given any admission of intent on their part won’t go down well.

I mean, it’s PR 101 to be perfectly honest: always control the message. Israel has denounced the UN so many times it’s cliche at this point, and not allowing independent eyes and voices in allows them to spin what is getting out as motivated by anti-semitism, regardless the source.

I’ll take the remainder of your response to be a “no” to my initial question, then wonder aloud why there are apparently different standards applied.

… and no, it’s not because of a Jewish conspiracy, of any stripe, or any other bizarre excuse dreamt up by the anti-semites. It is a genuine curiosity. Are western interests in the region such that it’s okay, or just generally necessary to support a regime committing war crimes? The same applies to the other ME allies and their human rights abuses.

Maybe it really is just as vapid as economic interests.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: August 17, 2024, 04:26:22 am »

Edit: Situation in Gaza isn't just propaganda. Actually pretty damn rotten, would hate to be a human being living through that right now.

The rotten situation is an understatement. While I think that Palestinian society is deeply ill (MORE ill than Germans in 1930s) and is suffering from the natural consequences of their actions, the way how they are treated by the world is appalling. And what Israel is doing is not that bad. War is war.

Egypt closing its borders to, at least, women and children refugees is disgusting. Qatar, Iran, and others are fueling the war using those people as a weapon in their religious war against Israel, UNRWA making money on them and also doing everything they can to prolong the war, Western "pro-Palestiners" who give no Fs about the well-being of Palestinians and just want "evil white-colonizer Israel" (c) to lose and cease to exist(which will cause literal millions of dead, including Palestinians), the list goes on.

Not a single meaningful entity does anything directed at helping Palestinians.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: August 17, 2024, 09:14:45 am »

It is a genuine curiosity. Are western interests in the region such that it’s okay, or just generally necessary to support a regime committing war crimes?
Honestly, in some sense I'd have to say yes? There's a reason Russia and Iran support Palestine, and it's not because they suddenly discovered common brotherhood across ethnic and religious (remember, Iran is Shiite) lines.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: August 17, 2024, 10:30:27 am »

This is one of the times when I wish you were wrong.

Realpolitik can be quite disgusting at times.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: August 17, 2024, 11:27:25 am »

Do you think Ukraine would retain the nigh unconditional support of western governments if it treated Russians the way Israel treats Palestinians?

I think that if the Western public would believe Russia Today as much as they believe Al Jazeera [...]
You're seemingly going into the realm of "we get all our news about Israel/Palestine from Al Jazeeraz" there, which is a shakey foundation from where to start the rest of the assessment.

There's various "if this and that then..." bits I wouldn't argue with, and you know where my sympathies lie, but here you definitely start your case off badly. In almost everything you say around this subject, I have to mentally adjust to account for your rather tunnel-vision views.

I'm going to give my answer to the question, by the way: When the persecuted overcompensate and become the persecutors, then that's no longer a matter of cheering on the underdog. The bullied kid who brings his dad's firearm into school and shoots the nasty kids (even just the nasty kids, though it's rarely so neat) can still be a victim as well as a newly arisen perpetrator. This doesn't mean it's acceptable, and there's other problems.

Ukraine attacking Russian territory isn't that, of course. It's more the "learnt to stand up for yourself" level of counter-bully behaviour (a fine line between trading punches as a deterence and going too far, which is why in an ideal schoolyard scenario it should not be allowed to have needed to go that far... real life geopolitics is both easier and harder to 'police' than with teachers/etc in that setup, though... harder to have problems migrate beyond the school gates, as there is no "beyond the school" territory where eyes cannot be kept on things, but we also have no real "adult authority figures" whilstsoever the highest global 'authority' is the UN. Better than the bad teacher ("...he'll just have to learn that the world is a tough place") or the one on the wrong track ("...all I know is that I never had fighting in my classroom until <victim> arrived, and every time I turn around it seems like he's the one in the middle of it"), but very much the ineffectual type who can't ever assert their authority properly.

The situation of Ukraine w.r.t. Russia land is so much different from Israel w.r.t. Palestinian territories that I don't think we could really imagine similarities here, so skip that. Let us instead look to what equivalents we might see. e.g. Ukraine regains tacit control over Donbass/Crimea and then marginalises these "Russian pocket" inhabitants (helped by those who weren't Russian enough either voluntarily or forcibly relocated over these last few years or so - which is still a difference from the Jewish (lack-of-)presence in Gaza/West Bank). Then it could be said to be punishing people just for being more aligned to another system. Then we might see Ukranian efforts to "do an Israel" to an equivalent degree.

Given that mere Russian heritage/identity/language was not really so much of a problem in Ukraine until-recently (hence why so many took it upon themselves to stop identifying as Russian, in the light of increased Russian aggression... even the President... can you imagine modern Israel being led by someone of Palestinian/other-Arabic pursauasion?) the anti-Palestine part of the pro-Israel stance just was not so much seen in the Russia/Ukraine version. (Pro-Palestine and anti-Israel opinions, vis-a-vis arabic neighbours, may or may not have present in the Moscow-centric neighbours doing their equivalent alignment of attitude.)

So there's actually a very large reality gap between the current situation and reaching the equivalent of the middle-eastern situation. Which is not to say that they can go far in that direction before being (rightly) vilified. Actually commiting attrocities[1] against Kursk's population would be a step Ukraine should not take. Also clamping down on the Russian-heritage peoples such as the US did with its 'Japanese' citizenry in WW2. From all I've seen, Ukraine has not gone anywhere near that kind of thing (nor the level of "Ukrainians by Russians" acts taken by the Kremlin's forces and (puppet-)governances), and it should definitely not try to match that.

Goodwill by the Western powers and a degree of due diligence against genuine threats (actual internal arrests/etc having happened) can both be maintained. Pushing down too hard on one side can disrupt the other, and it's in nobody's interest (on this side of the equation) to do that.

I would have no hesitation to say that if Ukraine acted like Israel, it might well deserve to lose Western support. But to even be in that position presupposes crossing the Rubicon long before that. Israel seems to have accomplished its situation by "boiling the frog slowly and over a long time" (plus relying upon 'Western guilt' to excuse putting the frog in the saucepan originally). This cannot happen with Ukraine in any sufficiently similar manner, at least not without a lot more future-history to pack in the necessary prerequisites. One hopes that this would pan out differently; firstly by predominating at all against Russia, then continued to be nudged away from whatever Russia (internally) would have people believe that Kiev is capable of.

[1] "...unnecessary atrocities..." was one version of this phrase, though that would admit to the existence of "necessary" ones. "Unavoidable..." is also differently problematic. There will be errors and generally unforeseen consequences of military decisions, though, for which judgement must have to be made after the fact.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: August 18, 2024, 08:32:00 am »

To be honest I doubt the west's alliance with Israel is about sense. The only thing I see is domestic politics. At some point western nations allied with Israel, and probably the decision made sense at the time. It could have been a good decision, it could have been a bad decision but it made sense. All I see right now is cowards, too afraid to upset the status quo because it might cost them votes. In my own country I see politicians trapped behind keeping an old Jewish demographic happy, and a newer Arab demographic happy, so they support Israel, while waggling their finger at the civilian cost.

I see politicians talk about maintaining an "important" alliance. Alliances work both way, and Israel craps on its allies. Israel assassinated people with fake Australian passports, owned by real people. Yet conservatives talk about the "importance" of the alliance. Israel has no respect for its allies period. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2024, 08:40:38 am by wobbly »

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: August 18, 2024, 08:33:57 am »

deleted, hit quote instead of modify and can't work out how to delete.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2024, 08:36:56 am by wobbly »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: August 18, 2024, 08:55:49 am »

To be honest I doubt the west's alliance with Israel is about sense. The only thing I see is domestic politics. At some point western nations allied with Israel, and probably the decision made sense at the time. It could have been a good decision, it could have been a bad decision but it made sense. All I see right now is cowards, too afraid to upset the status quo because it might cost them votes. In my own country I see politicians trapped behind keeping an old Jewish demographic happy, and a newer Arab demographic happy, so they support Israel, while waggling their finger at the civilian cost.

I see politicians talk about maintaining an "important" alliance. Alliances work both way, and Israel craps on its allies. Israel assassinated people with fake Australian passports, owned by real people. Yet conservatives talk about the "importance" of the alliance. Israel has no respect for its allies period. 

Israel has no respect for allies who think that they can order Israel around because of their status as an ally. For some reason, some people think that being an ally means you can dictate how others wage their wars.

As for benefits from being allied to Israel... The easiest and the most obvious one - the enemy of my enemy. Radical Islam's goals are hostile to the Western values and interests.

Another reason is values. Israel is the closest to the Western world in its values in the Middle East. By far. It is the most secular, democratic, tolerant, multiethnic country in the region. Isn't it natural to support it?

Then there are the benefits of shared intelligence (Israel has a decent one) and cooperation in Defense Industries (again, Israel has a decent one).

AFAIK USA\NATO never asked for Israeli military assistance. If anything, they usually asked to not get involved (see Desert Storm for example) but should a need arise, you have a sizeable high tech army that can assist in any war in the Middle East.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: August 18, 2024, 09:13:46 am »

Radical Islam's goals are hostile to the Western values and interests.

Can't agree more. It's also true that radical Jewish goals are hostile to to the Western values and interests, and radical Judaism holds seats in Israel's parliament.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: August 18, 2024, 09:30:36 am »

As for benefits from being allied to Israel... The easiest and the most obvious one - the enemy of my enemy. Radical Islam's goals are hostile to the Western values and interests.

I mean yes, this is about the best you can ever say about the Israel - X alliance. It's that maybe Israel's enemies are worse?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: August 18, 2024, 10:24:10 am »

Radical Islam's goals are hostile to the Western values and interests.

Can't agree more. It's also true that radical Jewish goals are hostile to to the Western values and interests, and radical Judaism holds seats in Israel's parliament.

The most radical of radical Judaism fascists want to carve a greater Israel from the Nile to the Euphrates and 'remove' all non-Jews from the land. They have no interest in attacking Western countries in any way. So, it is still a lesser evil than the dreams of a worldwide Islamic caliphate. Also, this kind of radicalism is rare.

Having seats in parliament or, worse, being a part of the ruling coalition is unpleasant but Israel is still a secular democracy with working laws, unpleasant people in the government can't do whatever they want. After all, the USA has very... interesting individuals in its parliament, too. And the next election may create a government full of hardcore Christian fascists. It won't mean that democracy is over and all American allies should treat the US as a fascist country (even if some people think it is how it works).

Radical militant Judaism is demonstrably not strong in Israel. Israel has a very active and open LGBT community. Israeli comedians openly mock Torah on National television. Many people are openly atheists and face no problems whatsoever. Other religions are allowed to practice mostly undisturbed. Hell, they can't even achieve their top dream of rebuilding the Temple.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: August 23, 2024, 05:36:42 am »

Spoiler: Summary of report (click to show/hide)

I highly recommend reading the full report. It is fascinating. There is a great amount of data not covered in the summary in the full report.
Full open-source report (click View on the page linked below to open the report, I think it can also be downloaded as a pdf):
https://scholarworks.brandeis.edu/esploro/outputs/report/9924385084001921
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: August 23, 2024, 11:26:43 am »

...Most of these students felt that Israel does not have a right to exist ... express positive views of Hamas or its actions.

One word - hypocrites. There is no other way to unmake Israel (and it is necessary if they have no right to exist) but Hamas way - A military victory over Israel accompanied\followed by genocide.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: August 23, 2024, 12:40:07 pm »

...Most of these students felt that Israel does not have a right to exist ... express positive views of Hamas or its actions.

One word - hypocrites. There is no other way to unmake Israel (and it is necessary if they have no right to exist) but Hamas way - A military victory over Israel accompanied\followed by genocide.

Does that also mean the politicians in Israel who say Palestine has no right to exist also want to exterminate all the Palestinians, or will we just agree that violence isn’t the only option when it comes to things like this?

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: August 23, 2024, 02:38:19 pm »

Israel has no respect for allies who think that they can order Israel around because of their status as an ally. For some reason, some people think that being an ally means you can dictate how others wage their wars.

I actually have a different hypothesis on this. Israel does not respect its ally, whether they support the government's agenda or not. Israel does what it wants, f' the rest of the world. Netanyahu has already been caught on record talking about how easy the USA is to play, and the USA has ignored this because politicians care about being reelected more than they care about the actual situation. Politicians from the USA know they are being played and the only reason they don't care, is they are playing games themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 175