Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 175

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 265598 times)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1575 on: June 07, 2017, 07:12:09 pm »

I mean, not all of the Iranian leadership was classy after Manchester.

Well at least Rouhani is a sensible person and he hope he manages to sidestep that old fool Khamenei
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: June 12, 2017, 05:01:21 pm »

So, quite massive protests in Russia, called by Navalny. Navalny himself was nabbed by the police right before the protests and condemned to 30 days in jails. Several hundreds arrests both in Moscow and St Petersburg.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: June 12, 2017, 06:02:45 pm »

2.000 according to German media.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: June 12, 2017, 06:18:43 pm »

They had an entire march agreed upon with the government, and what do they do? They change the location the day before the event, thus making it illegal. Good job, Mr. N, good job, you sure do look oh-so-responsible by potentially endangering people through the risk of a mass stampede just to score some political points.

Fucking liberals, I swear...
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: June 12, 2017, 06:22:46 pm »

So why did the guys in St. Petersburg get arrested? Did they change location too?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: June 12, 2017, 06:52:42 pm »

I don't know, since I haven't even heard of them before. But, most likely, yes. If you pre-arrange your march, and don't try to fistfight the police or fragrantly violate the agreed upon rules of the march, you don't get arrested:

See that? That was a march in May 14, against a mayor's building demolition initiative. About 20000 people have taken part in it. Pre-arranged with the local administration. And I'm almost sure you haven't even heard of its existence. It wasn't organized by the Western-backed opposition, after all.

Who cares about people who protest against their homes being demolished? The Western audience could care less about where the Russians live, they need entertainment, and Navalniy provides one, by feeding into the oh-so-heroic narrative of "noble advocates of freedom getting brutally suppressed by the evil tyrannical regime".
._.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: June 12, 2017, 08:35:07 pm »

Who cares about people who protest against their homes being demolished?
The Turks?
See that? That was a march in May 14, against a mayor's building demolition initiative. About 20000 people have taken part in it. Pre-arranged with the local administration. And I'm almost sure you haven't even heard of its existence. It wasn't organized by the Western-backed opposition, after all.

Who cares about people who protest against their homes being demolished? The Western audience could care less about where the Russians live, they need entertainment, and Navalniy provides one, by feeding into the oh-so-heroic narrative of "noble advocates of freedom getting brutally suppressed by the evil tyrannical regime".
The lesson here seems to be "protests that obey and follow rules are ignored, those that aren't, aren't." Is this surprising to you?

I'm not even a fan of protests in general, but "making a nuisance of themselves" is pretty much the point, for exactly the reason you've described. You actually made a perfectly good argument why protests should break the rules and cause havoc, which is something I oppose in general. I mean really, why not ask "why don't unions wait until their company has found people to replace them before going on strike?"?

Are you angry that protests that follow the rules of the regime they're protesting aren't considered an interesting blow against the status quo? Or that protests that don't, are? I don't actually see your point.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: June 12, 2017, 08:58:00 pm »

The point is that the Navalniy's protests are utterly useless from any standpoint of actually having any real change in Russia, because he's supported by, like 2% of Russians. Actually, the most recent polls put him at 1%, below almost every other possible Presidential candidate in Russia. They're ignored, completely ignored by most people in Russia, and those who do pay attention to them do so from an overwhelmingly negative standpoint and are likely to do the complete opposite from what Navalniy pushes for, just to spite him.
._.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: June 13, 2017, 04:58:01 am »

The point is that the Navalniy's protests are utterly useless from any standpoint of actually having any real change in Russia, because he's supported by, like 2% of Russians. Actually, the most recent polls put him at 1%, below almost every other possible Presidential candidate in Russia. They're ignored, completely ignored by most people in Russia, and those who do pay attention to them do so from an overwhelmingly negative standpoint and are likely to do the complete opposite from what Navalniy pushes for, just to spite him.

Quoting from the page you linked:

On March 26, 2017, protests against alleged corruption in the federal Russian government took place simultaneously in many cities across the country. They were triggered by the lack of proper response from the Russian authorities to the published investigative film He Is Not Dimon To You by Alexei Navalny, which has garnered more than 20 million views on YouTube. The Levada Center survey showed that 38% of surveyed Russians supported protests and that 67 percent held Putin personally responsible for high-level corruption.[1] A new wave of mass protests has been announced for June 12, 2017.

The Levada Center also conducted another survey, which was released on the April 6, 2017, showing Navalny's recognition among the Russian population at 55%. Out of those who recognized Navalny, 18% would either "definitely" or "probably" vote for him in the presidential election.

My calculations show 18% of 55% to be 10%.  Not a huge number but enough for Navalniy to be number 2 candidate...

In my part of the world the media is very biased to the current leadership, perhaps it is the same elsewhere?

Anyway, I don't really know much about this but I do not understand why there would be so much ongoing persecution of a person of no political consequence.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexei_Navalny makes for interesting reading.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:59:55 am by feelotraveller »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: June 13, 2017, 05:11:13 am »

Sergarr, sometimes you make me think there's some kind of system in Russia, where posting independant critical posts on foreign forums is an offense punishable by a choice between either
A) a few years Siberia
B) redeem your sins by posting 1000 times the amount of characters used in the offending post, as fake news or Putin Kool-Aid

:D
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: June 13, 2017, 05:34:30 am »

Quoting from the page you linked:

On March 26, 2017, protests against alleged corruption in the federal Russian government took place simultaneously in many cities across the country. They were triggered by the lack of proper response from the Russian authorities to the published investigative film He Is Not Dimon To You by Alexei Navalny, which has garnered more than 20 million views on YouTube. The Levada Center survey showed that 38% of surveyed Russians supported protests and that 67 percent held Putin personally responsible for high-level corruption.[1] A new wave of mass protests has been announced for June 12, 2017.

The Levada Center also conducted another survey, which was released on the April 6, 2017, showing Navalny's recognition among the Russian population at 55%. Out of those who recognized Navalny, 18% would either "definitely" or "probably" vote for him in the presidential election.

My calculations show 18% of 55% to be 10%.  Not a huge number but enough for Navalniy to be number 2 candidate...

In my part of the world the media is very biased to the current leadership, perhaps it is the same elsewhere?

Anyway, I don't really know much about this but I do not understand why there would be so much ongoing persecution of a person of no political consequence.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexei_Navalny makes for interesting reading.  ;)
If he was a target of real persecution, he would long be dead in a ditch, killed by a "random drunk", or had a sudden fatal ricin-induced heart attack. He's still alive, that means he's politically inconsequential. I don't know where did they get that 10%, when the polling clearly shows that Navalniy polls at 1 percent.

Sergarr, sometimes you make me think there's some kind of system in Russia, where posting independant critical posts on foreign forums is an offense punishable by a choice between either
A) a few years Siberia
B) redeem your sins by posting 1000 times the amount of characters used in the offending post, as fake news or Putin Kool-Aid

:D
If you want pure independent criticism of the government, go ask CrocAndBearLover, he's very proficient at that.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: June 13, 2017, 05:40:37 am »

I have no idea of how Russia even handles protests anyhow.

For all I know Russia likes to gimp protests to where they are fancy parades, or intentionally harasses them.

Or for all I know it was a completely reasonable attempt at the Russian Gov to allow a protest without having people get hurt without curtailing the protest at all.

---

Though given Russian Propaganda laws >_>

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: June 13, 2017, 05:58:06 am »

He's still alive, that means he's politically inconsequential.

No wonder Putin's firm favourite.   :-*

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: June 13, 2017, 06:16:04 am »

Where does getting acid thrown in the face count on the scale of political relevence?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: June 13, 2017, 06:59:09 am »

Been trying so hard not to say this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More seriously is that what the 'brilliant green' was?
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 175