Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 175

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 265825 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1380 on: February 22, 2017, 03:38:15 pm »

I reckon the Germans are just salty the Slavs mentioned the war. You don't mention the war

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: February 22, 2017, 04:44:49 pm »

I'm not surprised, winning WWII is basically Putin's greatest achievment, at least if you judge by the amoiunt of propaganda around that you see in Russia.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: February 22, 2017, 04:45:43 pm »

I don't really see anything wrong with children getting to know the best approaches to storm the main building of Nazi Germany government. I mean, it's the Reichstag, its main historical role was to be stormed by Soviet troops and to have a Soviet flag be put on its rooftop to signal the end of the fascist menace.
You know the current German parliament meets in the Reichstag, right?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1383 on: February 22, 2017, 04:46:55 pm »

You know the current German parliament meets in the Reichstag, right?
What's the problem?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: February 22, 2017, 04:49:23 pm »

I dunno, I'm just thinking that maybe having your Ministry of Defence get the next generation to re-create the storming of a building that happens to be the house of government for another nation, at a time when relations between you and that nation are rather low... Feels like that might send the wrong message if you're aiming for a peaceful, amiable relationship. Or at least, not planning on storming their parliament anytime soon.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1385 on: February 22, 2017, 05:03:47 pm »

I dunno, I'm just thinking that maybe having your Ministry of Defence get the next generation to re-create the storming of a building that happens to be the house of government for another nation, at a time when relations between you and that nation are rather low... Feels like that might send the wrong message if you're aiming for a peaceful, amiable relationship. Or at least, not planning on storming their parliament anytime soon.
Don't see what the big deal is, Russia should be making sure that their future generations don't forget just how much they bled for the right and pride to storm Berlin and crush Nazi Germany. It seems funny to think that this of all things would be an obstacle to a peaceful amiable relationship, the Germans are not petty, and military exercises are not indications of intent, only preparation. This is not a military exercise, this is children being taught their history in more personal terms than pictures: a kick ass playground

Moreover it is win win for the Russians. If the Germans get salty because the Russians celebrate storming the Nazis, that is an easy PR victory xD
Besides, one need only see the obvious truth, that in the modern world any attempt to invade Germany by Russia would be bloody, as Germany would be defended to the last Pole

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: February 22, 2017, 05:09:39 pm »

And I feel that Germany is sending the wrong message by having the main house of literally the most Nazi government to ever exist be used as a house of their own current government, but I'm not really complaining about that as long as they don't try to insinuate that it doesn't have the kind of historical significance that justifies its use as something to be attacked by any decent people.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: February 22, 2017, 05:11:44 pm »

And I feel that Germany is sending the wrong message by having the main house of literally the most Nazi government to ever exist be used as a house of their own current government, but I'm not really complaining about that as long as they don't try to insinuate that it doesn't have the kind of historical significance that justifies its use as something to be attacked by any decent people.

You know the Reichstag is much older than Nazi Germany, right? Also, I wouldn't call it the main house of the Nazi government, Nazi Germany wasn't that big on Parliamentarism.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: February 22, 2017, 05:23:01 pm »

You know the Reichstag is much older than Nazi Germany, right?
Swastika is thousands of years older than Nazi Germany. Does this mean that I can go and wear a T-shirt with a Swastika on it in Germany? Can I bring a couple of Swastika flags with me, too? No? But why, it's much older than Nazi Germany, isn't it? It's historically a symbol of sun and good luck, why does everyone think that I'm a Nazi for wearing Swastikas? I don't understaaaaaaaaaaaand!

Also, I wouldn't call it the main house of the Nazi government, Nazi Germany wasn't that big on Parliamentarism.
The fall of Nazi Germany is historically associated with the storming of Reichstag and a Soviet flag soaring on its rooftop. It's maybe not particularly well justified, but... it's a very strong association. An iconic moment. Like that "dumping tea into the sea" thing for Americans, that symbolizes their independence, even though it was IIRC because tea smugglers were losing their profits.
._.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: February 22, 2017, 05:37:33 pm »

I don't really see anything wrong with children getting to know the best approaches to storm the main building of Nazi Germany government. I mean, it's the Reichstag, its main historical role was to be stormed by Soviet troops and to have a Soviet flag be put on its rooftop to signal the end of the fascist menace.
I've been in the Reichstag, and within the Norman Foster dome (yay, British!).

Anyway, we all know that the role of the Reichstag is to be burnt by fascists to fuel their pretexts... :P

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: February 22, 2017, 05:41:40 pm »

And I feel that Germany is sending the wrong message by having the main house of literally the most Nazi government to ever exist be used as a house of their own current government
What, the Opera House that was demolished in the '50s?  How're they doing that?  ;)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: February 22, 2017, 05:59:33 pm »

And the Kremlin is associated with the USSR, the KGB, Stalin, Gulags, etc. Should the Russian government just stop using it? Even though it's older than either the Russian Federation or the Soviet Union? (And, indeed, wasn't even burned-and-rebuilt between the two states like modern Germany and the Nazis)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1392 on: February 22, 2017, 06:01:46 pm »

But Nazi Germany was literally Hitler

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: February 22, 2017, 06:02:58 pm »

And Soviet Russia was literally Commies. Sergarr HATES the Commies now, eh? ;P

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: February 22, 2017, 06:07:57 pm »

And the Kremlin is associated with the USSR, the KGB, Stalin, Gulags, etc. Should the Russian government just stop using it? Even though it's older than either the Russian Federation or the Soviet Union? (And, indeed, wasn't even burned-and-rebuilt between the two states like modern Germany and the Nazis)
They totally should, there's even a nice white house that they can all move into. Kremlin should be open to the people's free movement!
._.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 175