Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 175

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 261989 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #840 on: August 07, 2016, 04:33:11 pm »

Erdö also said that if Turks want death penalty, there'll be death penalty.
Pretty spooky tbh

yurop is not laughing at him anymore

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #841 on: August 07, 2016, 09:51:07 pm »

It's sad that the international community won't intervene, because at this rate Turkey is going to become a shithole like the rest of the middle east.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: August 07, 2016, 09:57:53 pm »

It's sad that the international community won't intervene, because at this rate Turkey is going to become a shithole like the rest of the middle east.
Let Erdogan continue gathering authoritarian levels of power to himself by abusing democratic principles to excess, or turn him into a wonderful martyr and create a lovely quagmire for us, since Afghanistan and Iraq weren't enough.  Or, if you want to look at places without actual boots on the ground, Libya or Egypt.  It's not a lovely solution either way, but at the least, I thought we were past the days of Allende. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 09:59:27 pm by Culise »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: August 07, 2016, 10:06:55 pm »

Let Erdogan continue gathering authoritarian levels of power to himself by abusing democratic principles to excess, or turn him into a wonderful martyr and create a lovely quagmire for us, since Afghanistan and Iraq weren't enough.  Or, if you want to look at places without actual boots on the ground, Libya or Egypt.  It's not a lovely solution either way, but at the least, I thought we were past the days of Allende. 

What do you mean by 'past the days of Allende'?

*looks at wiki*

You mean a CIA backed coup? You don't believe the claims that the US somehow backed the coup in Turkey do you? It wouldn't even have been in our best interests considering the security situation there.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: August 07, 2016, 10:09:48 pm »

Not quite.  I'm saying that the fundamental logic behind calling for an intervention in Turkey would be comparable to the fundamental logic behind calling for the 1973 coup in Chile, either by a direct overthrow (more likely) or by backing powers in the nation willing to conduct such an overthrow (as in Chile, albeit with the caveat that these powers no longer seem to have the means to accomplish such in Turkey, which would likely doom such an attempt to failure).  That is to say, it's the attempt at overthrowing a democratically-elected government pursuing policies that the powers that be happen to dislike (in Chile, "Communism"; in Turkey, what is occasionally termed "Ottomanism" or somewhat less accurately - which is not to say entirely inaccurately - tied to Islamism).  There are also some comparisons to be made between Allende and Erdogan, not in policies, but in their willingness to adopt unconstitutional means to pursue their respective end goals, I suspect, but those aren't the primary focus. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:13:58 pm by Culise »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: August 07, 2016, 10:18:27 pm »

Anyway, it's a pretty hard choice whether to intervene because most interventions we screwed up one way or another and the international community was reluctant to intervene in Syria because of that (not least because it's such a mess) and Syria was probably actually one of those cases where intervention could have been best.

But yeah, what appeared to be a silver lining of a country in the whole MidEast mess is turning out to be as messed up as the rest of the region.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: August 08, 2016, 12:16:20 am »

Iron Dome is perfectly capable of intercepting drones as it is;
At great expense, it has to be said. (And already has been.)

Still relatively cheaper than using it to counter Qassam rockets.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #847 on: August 08, 2016, 02:15:00 am »

Honestly I don't have a clue what the best approach would be, but the repercussions for doing nothing in Turkey appear horrific.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: August 08, 2016, 08:11:46 am »

Honestly I don't have a clue what the best approach would be, but the repercussions for doing nothing in Turkey appear horrific.

Also, Turkey actually has a competent military, so a military solution is non-viable.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: August 08, 2016, 10:02:42 am »

And y'know, NATO membership. I still fully support NATO intervention, followed by all NATO members being compelled to declare war on themselves.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: August 08, 2016, 11:10:29 am »

A good loyalty cascade would be worth seeing, but I think NATO would release a hotfix before it went nuclear.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #851 on: August 09, 2016, 02:15:45 am »

NATO should probably be kicking Turkey out if this keeps up, I think

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: August 09, 2016, 02:51:54 am »

NATO should probably be kicking Turkey out if this keeps up, I think
but muh Bosphorus straights

can't allow that terrific and almighty Russian Black Death Sea Fleet to escape their confinement

it's simply too powerful to stop in the open seas of the Mediterranean
._.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #853 on: August 09, 2016, 06:46:05 am »

Constantinople is rightful Greek clay

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: August 09, 2016, 06:51:44 am »

Turkey has a decent democratic tradition and I reckon they're not too far gone just yet. So they might go back to normal if Erdogan is assassinated. And what's the point of having CIA if you're not gonna assassinate dictators you don't like?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 175