Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 175

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 265659 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #2040 on: October 07, 2023, 08:46:36 am »

Hamas fired thousands of rockets, well over 500 Israeli citizens were injured, at least 40 killed.
Nowhere I read about hundreds or thousands of deaths, but the 40 dead number will most likely rise when the captured settlements are recaptured.

It is sad and horrible. This attack by Hamas on civilians is barbaric.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 08:50:52 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: October 07, 2023, 08:49:52 am »

Iran and Hezbollah have pledged support to Hamas. Let's hope this does not escalate into a full scale Middle East war.

EDIT: USA pledged military support to Israel

Airstrikes on Gaza city have killed nearly 200 people and injured 1000.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 08:53:36 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: October 07, 2023, 08:52:38 am »

Local news report 40 killed in rocket strikes. Where's the 'hundreds or thousands' coming from?

It is way beyond a massive rocket strike.

Armed HAMAS groups entered numerous settlements in Israel and are walking around killing and kidnapping random civilians. There are no numbers yet because Israel still doesn't fully control those settlements but there are enough videos and photos to expect very serious casualties.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: October 07, 2023, 08:58:05 am »

If there are no numbers, then you should not be throwing around any numbers, no?
I wish we were less conditioned to form opinions on news just as they unfold.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: October 07, 2023, 12:21:11 pm »

If there are no numbers, then you should not be throwing around any numbers, no?
I wish we were less conditioned to form opinions on news just as they unfold.
I have developed a grim skill of estimating the number of killed by what I see in the news... We can wait but I can't see how it is not hundreds. (not thousands seeing how Israel managed to react quickly and how HAMAS started retreating sooner than I expected).

In any case, no matter what the actual numbers are, I expect that Israelis will treat it as their 9/11. Any internal voices calling for diplomatic solutions will be silenced for some time. The Gaza Strip will be, at the very least, pounded and blockaded.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: October 07, 2023, 06:51:59 pm »

Latest numbers I'm seeing are 300 dead, 1500 wounded. They don't expect to have the ground fully secured until dawn at the earliest, so those numbers will continue to rise.

While I agree with the general sentiment of not wanting to make assumptions or exaggerations in deadly situations like this, I also think it's entirely reasonable to expect a dramatic rise in the death toll when considering the scope and nature of the ongoing violence.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: October 07, 2023, 10:38:10 pm »

I mean… Gaza is basically under siege by Israel. They control land, sea, and air access (with Egypt) and are quite happy to allow their citizenry to abuse and harass Palestinians if it makes them leave - a situation which is not limited to Palestinians.

This is the same Israel with a far-right government that passed a law that only Jews are entitled to self-determination in Israel.

So yeah, without going into more detail on the horrific things allowed by the Israeli government enacted upon the Palestinians, I don’t condone at all what Hamas are doing, but when their back is to the wall and they keep getting pushed by someone that wants to eliminate them, physically, culturally, or both, and the international community has basically abandoned them to that fate… what other option do they have?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: October 08, 2023, 12:34:26 am »

Here's something that I learned a long time ago when I made this mistake, and that is that Hamas is not the Palestinian people, it is a terrorist organization that is in a happenstance and accidental sort of symbiotic relationship with the right wing in Israel. Neither can stay in power without their opponent, because both are examples of bad leadership.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: October 08, 2023, 02:05:41 am »

Sure, any ruling political force is not the same as the nation as a whole. The question is what level of genuine support this political force and its ideology has and I see no reason to believe that it is not extremely high.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: October 08, 2023, 02:47:02 am »

The Israeli army has warned the population of Gaza on X that they should leave their homes and seek shelter. They say that the attacks on Israel by Hamas sadly force them to attack residential areas with Hamas targets.

After rocket attacks from Lebanon by Hezbollah, the Isaraeli army used artillery to strike at Hezbollah targets in Lebanon

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: October 08, 2023, 03:45:45 am »

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone in Israel knew the attacks could happen and in some way allowed it. Being attacked by a weak opponent is the best thing that can happen to the current administration, because now they can sing the song "if you're not with us, you're a traitor" while they target internal political enemies related to administration's changes to the judiciary.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: October 08, 2023, 04:07:16 am »

I'd say both Hamas and Israel leadership need each other, and that is why there will never be a solution, neither by peace negotiations nor total victory of one side. For me it's the Orwellian (political) world of 1984 on a smaller scale.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: October 08, 2023, 06:03:57 am »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: October 08, 2023, 06:24:41 am »

Here's something that I learned a long time ago when I made this mistake, and that is that Hamas is not the Palestinian people, it is a terrorist organization that is in a happenstance and accidental sort of symbiotic relationship with the right wing in Israel. Neither can stay in power without their opponent, because both are examples of bad leadership.
I think this was said by high ranking Isrealy politicians, it isn't a secret here, it just a dinail
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: October 08, 2023, 08:55:25 am »

War against Hamas has now been officially declared. At least 600 confirmed dead in Israel.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 175