Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The tragic history of Landsdiamond, 1053 - 1061  (Read 2334 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The tragic history of Landsdiamond, 1053 - 1061
« on: January 21, 2008, 05:05:00 am »

map

My dwarves set out in the winter of 1046 to found a new output far to the North, where it's always warm.  The goal was to found a great glass-making city, with both magma and a thick layer of sand.  [EDIT: apparently, I was way off on the chronography.  Landsdiamond was actually founded in *1053* -- all this stuff happened in only 8 years!]

The dwarves wasted no time setting up farm plots, clearing land for bedrooms in the clay below the ground, and some workshops in the sand.  They channeled magma and built glass furnaces deep underground.  By the time the first caravan came, they had enough green glass goods to buy it out.

This excited the mountainhomes; immigrants left for Landsdiamond in droves.  The great caravans came full of food, cloth, leather, and other items; they returned home laden with glass and top-quality clothing from our farms.  A first attempt was being made at breaching the aquifer.  Soon, the population was almost enough to support a barony.

The success also intrigued some local denizens.  First to visit, in 1049: Obsar Xosposmumu, the dragon of legend.  The fortress was only lightly defended at this point; the great walls on that map were not yet built.  Luckily, the dragon greedily attacked the point of the fortress that had the most goods: namely, the dwarven caravan, with its several axedwarves.  It made a dramatic entrance, but the guards made short work of the dragon.  However, fire took hold in the trade depot, and spread throughout the fortress.  53 dwarves died in the conflagration.

The two surviving founding members rallied the other 9 survivors; they spent the winter building coffins and burying their fallen breathren.  They also butchered the dragon, tanned its hide, ate its meat, and made bolts of its bones.  A convoy of immigrants arrived in the spring, and while they were surprised to find the fortress devastated, they pitched in, and by summer, it seemed that the setback could be forgotten.

Next to visit, in 1050: Odata Eviamala, known as Ladeinori Amiya.  Without the benefit of the dwarvish guard to help us, Odata was able to wreak much greater havoc before succumbing to the traps at the entrance of the cave.  However, the dwarves had learned not to fight the fire, but instead to avoid it; and much that could burn had already burned.  This time, only half of the 22 colonists died.

The early 1050s were a time of hard-fought growth.  The King wished to make Landsdiamond a great city with which to extend his power; the goblins resisted and sent increasingly large armies.  By 1057, it seemed that the King would succeed.  Zakosp Kestangot Oxsazon, a magically animated bronze colossus, visited in that year.  It destroyed the guard, but over the years the traps had been upgraded, and the colossus was vanquished.  Its corpse was placed in the great dining hall as reminder to the glory of the dwarves.  Shortly afterwards, Landsdiamond was named a Barony.

By now, plans were afoot of making a great palace for the King, all in clear glass.  This construction would also be a more secure fortress to defend against the frequent attacks.  The population almost reached 100 in 1058.  But then came a series of blows, each harder than the previous one.  A goblin attack killed the legendary miner Kel Ritasdatan, one of two surviving founders; it also killed a well-liked legendary clothier, and a human diplomat driven mad by being unable to leave due to the siege.

With the colony still mourning, Sporro Radirtuthid Udirudul, a second bronze colossus, attacked.  It smashed through the masterpiece doors, placed to impress traders upon entering the fortress.  This led the legendary glassmaker 'Glassy' to throw himself into the magma river.  Facing a mutiny, Baron Meng gathered the entire populace and ordered it to attack.  This succeeded, but at great cost: dozens died, either immediately or later of their wounds, or from a lack of caregivers.  Once again, the dwarves stopped everything and only built coffins.

As soon as he heard that his enemy had been so weakened -- to just over 60 dwarves, almost all civilians -- the goblin king hired the human axe lord Stozu Stustodostngosp to lead almost an equal number of well-trained soldier goblins to finally crush the colony.  They suffered greatly from the traps (Stozu himself was among the first to die), and found themselves unable to penetrate.  But Baron Meng once again displayed his monumental stupidity: trying to break the siege, he allowed the enemy to enter through the trade depot entrance.  With the colossus having destroyed the gates, this allowed the goblins to scale the walls and control every entrance.  Seeing this, Baron Meng tried to flee; he and his consort were cut down in short order.  Staying under the ground, the populace mounted a brave last stand, and persuaded the goblin army to lift its siege and run back to the hills.

Half the colony had died during the battle.  Nearly half the rest would die of their wounds: from nearly 100 before the colossus, to over 60 afterwards, they were down to a mere 17.  'Arch-cutter', the sole remaining founding member, argued on his deathbed that the colony should be abandoned.  Preparations were made to build a mass tomb, pack supplies, and leave with the first elvish caravan in the spring.  Poetically, mere days before leaving, a dog died of old age -- the only natural death in the colony's history.

[ January 28, 2008: Message edited by: benoit.hudson ]

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The tragic history of Landsdiamond, 1053 - 1061
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 05:07:00 am »

If I knew how, I'd post the savegame for 1st granite, 1061.  It's a fun fortress to play.  In no other fortress have I accumulated 222 coffins.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 05:12:00 am »

1047?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Moocow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 05:28:00 am »

Wow, that is chaos! I wouldn't stop playing if I were you, sounds like a lot of fun.
Death solves all problems - no dwarf, no problem.
- Joseph Stalin

Lazy_Perfectionist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>If I knew how, I'd post the savegame for 1st granite, 1061.  It's a fun fortress to play.  In no other fortress have I accumulated 222 coffins.</STRONG>

Short version:
Step 1: Exit DF
Step 2; Compress that region into a zip file
Step 3: Upload that region to a file host

If you don't have zip software, I recommend 7-Zip. You can use the default zip just fine, but you can also get away with just wrapping the game up with zero compression, formats I've tried haven't been able to find huge gains compressing DF saves. There's probably better filehosts, but the second one that comes to mind is www.megaupload.com

Bloat325, ADDITIONAL LIQUID TYPES, (Future): Candidates for new flowing "liquids" include sand, oil, mud, blood of various sorts, slime, farm products like grain and beer for the beer fountain. Only a limited number of materials from plant raws like beer

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 01:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>1047?</STRONG>

I'll admit I didn't take careful notes, but I'm only off by a year or so in any direction.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 02:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Moocow:
<STRONG>Wow, that is chaos! I wouldn't stop playing if I were you, sounds like a lot of fun.</STRONG>

I was debating, and then the dog died of old age.

I had great plans for the huge palace, but without windmills, you really need a lot of dwarves to pump through an aquifer.

Zonhin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »

Can you show us where it is on the map so we can explore it in adventure mode?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

I just noticed from the map that mineral clusters are incredibly uniformly deposited.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>I just noticed from the map that mineral clusters are incredibly uniformly deposited.</STRONG>

That was a bit of a shock to me, too.  I didn't notice it at all in DF, because the view is so small; the map archive is wonderful for that though.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zonhin:
<STRONG>Can you show us where it is on the map so we can explore it in adventure mode?</STRONG>

It's way up north, perhaps as far as you can go, or very nearly; and near the prime meridian.  There's a volcano marked on the map, and the biomes are all heavily forested.  Other than that, I don't remember.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>1047?</STRONG>

Wait -- if fortresses start in 1050, that means I was off by three years somehow?  I must have mentally converted mere seasons into entire years.  

Holy smokes, that's an even more oppressive rate of major attacks.  A legendary monster every two and a half years.  A major goblin attack every year.

I did have a lot of trouble with dwarf caravans getting wiped out -- I think it was three.  One by dragonfire, one by goblins in the South, and one by the final goblin attack.

Things I didn't mention: (1) I suffered really badly from the bug that means that wounded dwarves have a tendency to die.  Even with a dedicated nurse, he would stand idle complaining about lack of work while a dozen bedridden victims starved to death.  I didn't really mind when the dwarf I later named 'Murder' plucked the nurse for a dwarf-leather item.  (2) I suffered somewhat from the bug that means that dwarves will rush the exits when told to stay indoors.  Heavily at first, but then I started finding tricks to deal with it.  (3) Clearly, I suffered a lot from fire not properly being handled -- dwarves pick up burning items and don't notice they're on fire until they fall unconcious, etc.  Again, I learned how to work around that.  (4)  Speed could be better; presumably the mac port will help, instead of running under parallels.

Zonhin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 09:09:00 pm »

A tribute
  :(
http://rapidshare.com/files/85583853/region11.zip.html

(I added a lot of engravings. This includes god knows how many masterwork engravings.)

(Also if you download it you should know that the fortress has a not-so-happy baron. And a Hammerdwarf. Just thought you should know.)

[ January 21, 2008: Message edited by: Zonhin ]

Zonhin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 09:24:00 pm »

Also this is where you can find it.