Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma pump stack image  (Read 700 times)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma pump stack image
« on: October 15, 2015, 06:09:46 pm »

Hey guys, just a small question that's more of a request than anything. Could someone either sketch or take a screenshot (3D preferably?) of the updated magma pump stack? I read the forum topic but I have a hard time visualising from the default ASCII alone ;; I want to start thinking about getting some magma up to my fort but it's usually so far down I worry about messing it up, and my FPS is already dropping from what's going on in my fort...
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma pump stack image
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 06:11:53 am »

If you need just a small bit of magma it can be more efficient to bring it up by minecart, rather than by pump stack, especially if you are a long way from the magma...

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 06:13:08 am »

Probably, but I haven't done minecarts before and the wiki confuses me with ASCII too...
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 07:04:10 am »

The way I do it:

Odd level:

WWWWW
WdWdW
WWDWW
xddWW
WWhWW
WWWWW

Even level:
WWWWW
WWhWW
dddWW
xWDWW
WdWdW
WWWWW

W = Wall
d = dig out
D = dig out. Later channeled out (see below)
x = Up/Down staircase
h = Channel

The channeling will create an up ramp in the middle of the top of the T.
Once this has been dug out, you need to get rid of all the magma safe stone in the top part of the T, or they'll gum up the pump. You can either wait for the dorfs to haul it away to a stockpile (usually takes forever, since they tend to find fancier stone to haul elsehwere), 'd'ump the stone (takes a lot of time as well, as dumping is a low priority task), or get rid of it by using the boulders to create a floor underneath them.
When the boulders have been dealt with, you need to make sure to provide the holes for power distribution between pumps by designating the tile two steps from the channel for channeling on each of the Ts. Note that the channeling will make the top of the T inaccessible, which is why you should wait with this step until the boulders have been taken care of. These channel designations will jump up/down 1 step between each level to hit the correct spot.
The 'x' stairwell is to allow the dorfs access to the sections in a reasonably convenient manner (with extra work you can fit a pump stack, including its access, in a 3*4 aquifer penetration footprint, but it's error prone and tedious).

Elderon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 08:46:08 am »

Sorry for probably noob question, but what did you mean by updated magma pump stack?

(I always use this wiki page when my memory about pump stack become fuzzy http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Screw_pump)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 08:58:21 am »

Down the bottom of the question it mentions newer improved pump stacks, and when I read the thread, apparently you can make one that doesn't end up eating all your FPS.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 09:02:52 am »

Down the bottom of the question it mentions newer improved pump stacks, and when I read the thread, apparently you can make one that doesn't end up eating all your FPS.
Just build them starting from the top-downwards.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 10:24:28 am »

My description is of the improved pump stack referenced. The T shape is useful only if you're pumping magma (where temperature calculations come into play).
The top->down building strategy affects how quickly the first lot of fluid reaches the surface, which largely is irrelevant for a powered pump stack, but Bumber says it also affects FPS. Note that building from the top->down means the building takes twice as long as building from both ends at the same time, so you'd have to chose what to prioritize.

The 110 or so level pump stack I've recently constructed had a serious effect on the FPS (down to 9) when I let the magma in. The FPS slowly increased as each pump level was filled with magma until it reached the pre engagement level. When I applied the pump stack later on (as opposed to just priming it) by obsidianizing a 11*22 aquifer room the FPS dropped to 0! The job was eventually done, though, but I don't think I'll use that as an obsidianization trap as originally intended.