Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Visiting Queen @?  (Read 1770 times)

darknation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Visiting Queen @?
« on: October 13, 2015, 05:34:05 pm »

First post, total n00b, please be gentle with me.

Ok, this is weird. I embarked normally, but here's the strange thing; - there was a hut with dwarfs in it marked as 'Visitors', kinda NPC's. I built my fortress and they just kinda moved in and have been haunting my dining room ever since. I can't do anything with them, they don't seem to eat or drink or do much of anything.

Then I noticed one of them got... promoted.

She's been wandering around my fortress for three years now, and all her clothes are starting to rot off her body. I literally have Queen Urist the Homeless skanking up my glorious living room.

I still get envoys from the mountain homes and all that jazz, which is also a bit weird.

So what do I do? Tell her to get off my couch and get a job or is there something more... dwarfy I can do with this?

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Queen @?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 05:45:33 pm »

If she is sticking to the dining room, you could lock her in and relocate your dining room elsewhere. That way she would be confined. Once that's done there's all sort of possibilities. The obvious is just dousing the room in magma. But if you don't want to do that or don't have it flowing yet, you could channel out from above and then drop various creatures in there. That would make the dining room recoverable without magma or water flowing everywhere. Just have your military on standby and unlock the door when it's over or put traps around the door and save your assassin for later. Oh, and if you're a newer player you probably want a locked and forbidden hatch over the pit to make sure whatever you put in there doesn't jump right back out the same hole.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 07:24:17 pm »

Or you could keep them alive, as like a hostage/prisoner thing? I think it's cool to have "guests" in your fort.

I believe you embarked on a site containing "hillock" dwarves, basically dwarves that live in tiny villages instead of Mountain Homes. The only mention I can find of them on the wiki, which doesn't say much:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Hillock

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:29:01 pm »

I don't see how that would be possible without knowing it, since hillocks, like other civ sites, preclude fortress building (unless you use an embark anywhere utility).

Was this "hut" by chance made of plant fiber? If so you've probably embarked on a refugee camp: dwarves who have fled from an invasion will set up these tents and hang out in them. I don't know why they've moved in with you though; maybe they're programmed to go to the nearest meeting hall.
They might also not be members of your civilization, but of another dwarven group. You can check the 'c'iv screen to see your civilization's leaders: you could check if Ingish is your queen or someone else's.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 08:39:26 pm »

I literally have Queen Urist the Homeless skanking up my glorious living room.
This is far funnier than it has any right to be.

darknation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 09:10:58 pm »

Was this "hut" by chance made of plant fiber? If so you've probably embarked on a refugee camp: dwarves who have fled from an invasion will set up these tents and hang out in them.
^This.

Looked it up on the civ screen and she is indeed the Queen of my civilization. I assume my capital has been eradicated and no one has told me about it.

As a matter of record, she has an entourage consisting of a militia commander, an expedition leader, a sheriff, a ringleader (no idea), a hammerer, and a General whose sole skill appears to be fishing.

This might explain why my entire civilization has gone down the toilet without anyone actually noticing.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 10:34:46 pm »

"Worst embark group ever."

hyperman500

• Bay Watcher
  • I endorse all exploits!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 02:41:17 pm »

Ptw?

If the system isn't overly complicated and utterly convoluted it clearly isn't Dwarfy enough to make.

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 04:34:11 pm »

Was this "hut" by chance made of plant fiber? If so you've probably embarked on a refugee camp: dwarves who have fled from an invasion will set up these tents and hang out in them.
^This.

Looked it up on the civ screen and she is indeed the Queen of my civilization. I assume my capital has been eradicated and no one has told me about it.

As a matter of record, she has an entourage consisting of a militia commander, an expedition leader, a sheriff, a ringleader (no idea), a hammerer, and a General whose sole skill appears to be fishing.

This might explain why my entire civilization has gone down the toilet without anyone actually noticing.

You should quickly make your fortress a mountainhome so they can move in proper I think.
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 12:42:09 am »

That's a nice looking fort you have. Can you upload a save, please?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 01:19:02 am »

You should quickly make your fortress a mountainhome so they can move in proper I think.
I don't know if that would work. My militia commander was suddenly appointed king after a 'friendly discussion with rivals', and apart from permanently losing his position as militia commander he functions exactly the same as before.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 05:22:29 pm »

I don't know if that would work. My militia commander was suddenly appointed king after a 'friendly discussion with rivals', and apart from permanently losing his position as militia commander he functions exactly the same as before.

If there is a non-resident leader, he/she should move in when the fortress reaches mountain home status.

In this odd case, the game might explode.  But ideally, it would transform the Visitor into a Resident and allow them to have needs and demands, be assigned a room, etc.

Your militia commander, by contrast, was probably promoted because there was no non-resident leader?  And even now, he should show up on the (N)obles screen and have needs and such.

I'm really interested to know what happens when mountain home status is reached and he meets the requirements to attract a leader.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 06:01:44 pm »

Yup, the new king was promoted when the old one (plus twelve others) got killed by a goblin as part of the taking over of the only other site of my civ.

I wonder what happened with the OP's game.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 06:01:56 pm »

"Ringleader" is one of the profession names for criminal or bandit leaders. IIRC that's the only way it can show up. It appears that your government consists of an unhygienic queen, a bumbling general, a mob boss, a cop, a soldier, and an executioner... I smell a primetime comedy!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 06:13:20 pm »

Not necessarily. Bandit leader types can also be found in refugee groups. So your queen and entourage are refugees from your capitol, which was probably invaded a few weeks before you embarked during the world advancement.
Pages: [1] 2