Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Replicating Sparta  (Read 3371 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: Replicating Sparta
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 12:05:00 am »

That settles it, someone needs to go out and hire a bunch of dwarves and one elf henchman. Walk on the spot until the elf is between you and a chasm. Save your game and try to kick them in while taking screenies  :)
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2007, 01:13:00 am »

Okay. So heres the rules imo.

Considering we wont be running into an xerxes and 300 things i'll try my best to my knowledge of what greece was actually like.

- Everyone must be proficent in Spears, Armor, Sheild and preferably crossbow.
- In the event of an invasion, no matter who it is, who ever is the nearest to the corridor will be picked to defend until additional rienforcements.
- Everyone must be in uniform. It doesn't matter what material is used. It must be uniform. MUST be in uniform.
- Everything must be kept simple and bare. No grand 'mosaics' depicting war, no halls of statues. Although there is a statue of Leonidos in greece. So maybe 1 or 2 but make sure they are made of bronze.
- "The Spartans had no historical records, literature, or written laws, which were, according to tradition, expressly prohibited by an ordinance of Lycurgus " - Wiki. No double Engraving.
- Choose your allies due to the strategic and economic value. If elves dont offer want you want, screw em, even though they threaten to blot out suns.
- If for some reason a Spartan Dwarf has no sheild when returning; execute. This is Spartan Law (they beileved they threw the sheild to runs away)
- If anyone try to run who are fighting; they must die..
- Only those who die in BATTLE may have marked graves.
- Marble is acceptable. Infact all rocks are.
- All new borns and new MALE immigrants must train their combat skills for 3 years. Then are tested in the wilderness.
- Everyone is assorted into groups of 15-20. These are their squads and buddies. A dinning hall for each squad.
- NO GOLD OR SILVER OR PLATNIUM. IF ANYONE HAS ANY THEY WILL DIE.
- Now when I say 'everyone' I mean 'spartans'. You have to have alot of Helots 'slaves'. These people do not fight unless you want fodder. But they will be your invaluable worker. Atleast half of your population should be Spartan.
- There can be a 'games' arena. Like a gladiator thing (cause its easier to make) but the dwarves MUST be naked (dorian thing)
- Im not sure about hte whole houses thing but everyone must live in a Villa like home where there is a large courtyard in the middle and a small pond. Not in 3 space apartments.
- Everyone must have an armor and weapon rack.
- The elderly and maimed are to be respected. And if they have the courage to fight; they will be honored.
- You need Perioeci, which are your middle-class working people. Not like helots. These guys are respected. They dont have to fight.

[ September 07, 2007: Message edited by: Lokum ]

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2007, 03:04:00 am »

Perhaps you could make all peasants Helots unless they are of course married to someone of a skilled nature. That way you will have a number of helots around.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2007, 03:33:00 am »

The major problem I see with this scenario is the lack of homosexuality in Dwarf Fortress.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2007, 06:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ioric Kittencuddler:
<STRONG>The major problem I see with this scenario is the lack of homosexuality in Dwarf Fortress.</STRONG>

I have seen many dwarves of the same sex sharing beds...

Cyberbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2007, 09:42:00 am »

My message for those who take 300 as a historical movie:

It isn't.

There is no problem too small or too great that an appropriately sized thermonuclear device cannot solve.

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2007, 10:07:00 am »

Lokum, I like your rules and I am a bit inspired to attempt to model a fortress after that. The only problem I can see is how to deal with nobles. Do supports add wealth? Since they will need to get their houses up to the standards for the nobles and I am assuming they are going to be kept as part of the Spartan rulers

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tarrasque:
<STRONG>Lokum, I like your rules and I am a bit inspired to attempt to model a fortress after that. The only problem I can see is how to deal with nobles. Do supports add wealth? Since they will need to get their houses up to the standards for the nobles and I am assuming they are going to be kept as part of the Spartan rulers
.</STRONG>

Armor Stands and Weapon Racks, LOTS AND LOTS of them.

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2007, 04:40:00 pm »

Nobles are killed. No weak links, you know.  ;)

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2007, 07:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tarrasque:
<STRONG>Lokum, I like your rules and I am a bit inspired to attempt to model a fortress after that. The only problem I can see is how to deal with nobles. Do supports add wealth? Since they will need to get their houses up to the standards for the nobles and I am assuming they are going to be kept as part of the Spartan rulers
.</STRONG>
Greeks had alot of support pillars and columns. Doric art.
Pages: 1 2 [3]