Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Story Of A Dwarven Monster-Slayer  (Read 5462 times)

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
The Story Of A Dwarven Monster-Slayer
« on: October 11, 2015, 01:21:21 pm »

(Unfortunately I haven't taken any screenshots yet, so no pictures of the events that happened as of yet)

Eric Veludil, Swordsdwarf

World: Strasp Ustra, the Planet of Forever

Started up another new world, hoping to become a Dwarven beast slayer. Starting off in the underground caverns of a Dwarven mountain hall has already provided tons of action. First, I saw a cave crocodile tear open the head of a useless axedwarf who got himself caught in spider webs. I barely killed the croc in time to save the axedwarf. His head was cut open, but the bleeding stopped and there was no further damage, so i figured leaving him there would be fine. Travelling further down the hall, I found a Macedwarf and a Hammerdwarf.

I also found something odd. A swarm of Troglodytes were rushing in our direction. But they weren't attacking. They were running from something. Many were already injured in one way or another. After working with the two other dwarves to kill the troglodytes, I proceeded further down the hall to find a giant cave toad next to a dead troglodyte. That's what they were running from.

The hammerdwarf is Armok-knows-where, leaving only me and the Macedwarf to deal with it. The fight was going well at first. The macedwarf got multiple good hits on the toad but it didn't look like his bronze mace was strong enough to break its bones. It started going wrong when the toad charged and knocked over the macedwarf. It then bit and ripped his right foot off. Then it bit his mace arm and collapsed it by shaking it around a lot.

(If you're wondering why I haven't helped yet, it's because that dwarf has a steel shield and I wanted him to die so I could get it)

(Further updates will have screenshots in them)

EDIT: Turns out the ill-fated Macedwarf is actually a girl
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 01:24:35 pm by Potato9999 »

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Story Of A Dwarven Monster-Slayer
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 01:47:25 pm »

Here's an image of the current state of affairs

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 01:49:14 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 02:02:30 pm »

Well, shit. At least now I can get that shield.

Wha-WHAT? It was that easy? Dobar, how in Armok's name did you get yourself KILLED by this thing?

Anyways, I went ahead and stabbed its eyes out, so that in the event I have to run for whatever reason, I can at least make sure it's not hurting anybody else.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 02:25:16 pm »

After the toad (finally) bled out, I discovered something...interesting.

I then went to find out who the mystery dwarf was. It wasn't the hammerdwarf from earlier, instead it was somebody who basically just sat there and watched the entire fight.

After travelling for a while, walking past naked mole dogs and seeing pond grabbers in the water (definitely not a good place to swim), I encountered a second giant toad! Time to see if I'm capable of taking one on without the assistance of a second dwarf.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 02:34:06 pm »

I'm starting to think I've misjudged the difficulty of fighting a giant cave toad.

These things don't have a high tolerance for pain, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 02:51:50 pm by Potato9999 »

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 02:37:27 pm »

Well, killing the toad was actually very easy. Unlike Goadedcharm though, this one didn't get named. One thing I'm starting to become concerned about is finding the exit of this cave. I have plenty of food from butchering that first cave croc, but I can't drink any of the water down here. Blood may be able to sustain my character, but I don't know how much he'll be able to obtain at any given time.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 02:41:14 pm »

So, I'm also very into Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, another game somewhat similar to Dwarf Fortress. In Cata DDA, white and yellow O's represent spider egg sacs. Seeing the O's in DF keep scaring me into thinking there's cave spiders nearby.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 02:46:02 pm »

I discovered a downwards passage. Going further down isn't exactly my idea of an "exit", but there could be adventure to be had down there. Should I do it?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 02:49:36 pm »

Yes
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 03:00:56 pm »

There was nothing at the bottom of the passage  :-\

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 03:13:11 pm »

Taking a look into my bestiary, I discovered a surprise.

I never remembered encountering a blind cave ogre at any point. Which is a shame, because I would have loved to have fought one. It also said I recently encountered a giant olm, a gorlak, and a green devourer. I remember seeing none of these creatures in my travels.

So it turns out I travelled so far that I wandered into a completely different mountain hall.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 04:04:31 pm »

Excitement has finally occurred!

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 04:08:00 pm »

The giant olm ended up being really easy to kill. I want more challenging cave monsters. Like that blind cave ogre I allegedly encountered at some point.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 04:16:26 pm »

After a long travel, I've arrived at an underground Dwarven fortress. The first creature to greet me was a tamed goose.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5