Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Repeat forever without cancelling  (Read 1661 times)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Repeat forever without cancelling
« on: October 11, 2015, 07:17:51 am »

Such that I can set "Brew drink from plant" in the Still and not have it removed from the job queue after running out of barrels or plants. Or "Make coke from coal", or "Make silk pants", etc.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Repeat forever without cancelling
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 01:26:21 pm »

Related threads:

In a nutshell, this one tweak would go a long way toward automating a fortress.  The real trick is setting the right level of alert messages.
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 05:13:29 pm »

What's wrong with just using the manager? Jobs don't get removed from the manager's list.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 05:18:21 pm »

What's wrong with just using the manager? Jobs don't get removed from the manager's list.
Manager is limited to 30? per lot and you can't set a constant job or a stock level. If I want 150 more booze I'd have to enter 5 jobs in the manager for booze and then do it again when i got low again. We'd like a constant solution, like "Keep 150 booze in stock"

Workflow plugin for dfhack does this nicely. :)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 02:28:58 am »

You have to keep re-adding the order for 30 drink or whatever though, and the cancellation spam is a bit of a pain when there's an entire production chain in the way, like for metal equipment. I usually only order 10 suits of armor at a time, but I'm not too picky about how much coke and magnetite gets smelted.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 04:52:07 am »

Yes, there are lots of issues with the manager that can be improved of course, but I was going by the OP, which makes it sound like they don't know how to use it at all and are still designating everything at workshops.

Stock control would be good. Coming in limited form for taverns update I believe (although haven't seen much from Toady since he first mentioned it a while back).

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 06:11:34 am »

There have been plenty of suggestions such as "Brew if booze is below x" or "keep making soap while rock nuts are above y" or even "automatically add requests for new clothes as the old ones get worn".

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 06:15:27 am »

Yes, there are lots of issues with the manager that can be improved of course, but I was going by the OP, which makes it sound like they don't know how to use it at all and are still designating everything at workshops.

Stock control would be good. Coming in limited form for taverns update I believe (although haven't seen much from Toady since he first mentioned it a while back).

I think based upon development page Toady One is wary of interfering with the administration side of things "numbers and spreadsheets" until he finishes starting scenarios since he intends to create custom labour lists for citizens of different statuses.