Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Skills  (Read 662 times)

Mr. Woolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding Skills
« on: October 10, 2015, 10:01:09 pm »

I have searched many places from wiki to bay12, I cannot find any coherent information on creating new skills. I realize its a tricky process, but I noticed a mod using a gunsmith skill, which is obviously not vanilla, so I ask the community to try and compile a set of instructions on how to make new skills here. If this is simply not possible please explain why. Unfortunately I do not recall the name of the mod at this time.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Skills
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 10:13:25 pm »

You cannot mod skills. You can change the profession names, however. There is a tag that goes in a creature's raws called [PROFESSION_NAME]

Dwarves use it to change some professions from ending in -man to ending in -dwarf. For example, the craftsdwarf:
[PROFESSION_NAME:CRAFTSMAN:craftsdwarf:craftsdwarves]

Mr. Woolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 10:33:52 pm »

I see what happened then, thank you for making this clear to me. I have a secondary question; I had made a musket weapon with archery as it's ranged skill, but my dwarves did not use the ranged attack until I changed it to crossbow. Is there anything in the raws that could change the way skills are used?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 10:39:13 pm »

It may be that the ammunition that was carried was the incorrect type for the weapon. That's a common thing to happen.

You cannot alter the way a skill functions.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 10:41:26 pm by BlackFlyme »

Mr. Woolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 11:27:18 pm »

Thank you for.your input!

4maskedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ghost of Forumites Past
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 06:08:51 am »

One additional comment: at least in the last version, there was a way in DFHack to change how skills themselves were named, not just the profession names.  I will admit ignorance as to whether that plugin for DFHack exists today, however.
A flitting shadow, wandering the hidden paths of the forums.  Long since lost to humanity, it's path follows no discernible pattern, simply observing that which goes on around it.  If you have found it, it is already too late for you, for none may see its silent journey.

Mr. Woolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 06:26:51 am »

That's interesting, I will need to check out DFHack and see what it has to offer, can you specify the most recent version that can do that? Thank you for sharing your information.

4maskedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ghost of Forumites Past
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 08:31:23 am »

The last time I saw it was in .34.11's version of DFHack.  All it did was allow for the skills to be renamed, not for hard-coded jobs to be reassigned to other skills (although there may have been something to do that, I do not know).  For instance, one of the farming skills (I do not remember which) was renamed to Prayer in Masterwork.  If you wish to know more information, the DFHack thread for the most recent version is here.
A flitting shadow, wandering the hidden paths of the forums.  Long since lost to humanity, it's path follows no discernible pattern, simply observing that which goes on around it.  If you have found it, it is already too late for you, for none may see its silent journey.