Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan not packing up / stuff not being hauled away?  (Read 596 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan not packing up / stuff not being hauled away?
« on: October 10, 2015, 06:31:01 am »

It's the second year, autumn, and the dwarven caravan has "left" but is not doing anything. Just standing there, not packing up. I did not trade anything, neither did I trade the first year. I rarely trade. The first year they left fine.

So I decided to destroy the trade depot and force them to leave, gaining some stuff in the process. They left, but all their stuff is still on the floor. I have 30 idlers and all of them have at least one kind of hauling enabled (all on by default, dwarves dedicated to a task still have food hauling on in case I am slaugthering a lot of livestock). None of them are considering to move the stuff to a stockpile. None of the related stockpiles are full. I took a look at the items and they don't have any oddities. Other items are being hauled just fine.

I'm convinced that the caravan not leaving and the dwarves not hauling are related. Why don't they do anything?

Edit: There's still a pack animal that's being very slow in leaving. I think that that animal not being with the merchants caused them to not leave, and it being still here now causes my dwarves to not consider the items to be theirs. But why is it being so slow?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 06:33:01 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan not packing up / stuff not being hauled away?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 06:37:45 am »

I ordered the untrained militia to kill the camel, and after a lengthy chase it died. All the dwarves are now rushing outside to get the items. I looked at the combat report for the camel and saw that it was in a minor fight before the caravan left.

I'm putting this in the bug tracker.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 08:04:54 am »

I've noted similar problems before with Dwarves casually ignoring stuff in the depot; the more notable situations are one where piles and piles of exotic meats rots where they lay.

The best things I can advise are
1. Make sure all the goods and containers you marked for trading are unmarked (even if the traders aren't there anymore). While this only applies to your stuff, marking stuff for trading effectively 'removes' it from your stocks; marking a bin of coke, for example, will prevent your metal workers from retrieving it for jobs.
2. Force your dwarves to haul. Throw them in burrows that connect the depot to the appropriate stock piles, and see if anything gets moved. If they don't...
3. Mass forbid and unforbid. In your [d]esignations menu, you can mass forbid, dump, melt, and un-all the three things I mentioned. A good way to force your dwarves to wake up and effectively 'refresh' their memory about an item is to forbid it, let the game run a bit, then unforbid it. Note that this also works with stuff like dwarves not finding barrels for the food industry, dwarves in the military holding onto items, forcing a dwarf to remove material in a construction site (which will hang them up if it's been 'assigned' to another job), and other such silliness.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 11:34:12 am »

A helpful and thorough answer
Thanks for your answer, but please see my above post.