Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35

Author Topic: Mission 24: By the pricking of my thumbs...  (Read 61279 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 24: By the pricking of my thumbs...
« Reply #315 on: December 04, 2015, 12:38:59 pm »

Stand well away from the others, preferably in an indestructible room with nothing in it, and hold two of the sullen moon nyartifact stones, gradually moving them near to one another, but not letting them touch. Observe. Try to pick two stones that seem to have shared an edge.

"I'm going to test something, guys, so stand back. I'm not likely to do anything else useful for a while, and knowing what this does might help us get the hell out, so don't whinge about it."
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:57:13 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #316 on: December 04, 2015, 12:55:58 pm »

"I'm going to test something, guys, so stand back. I'm not likely to do anything else useful for a while, and knowing what this does might help us get the hell out, so don't whinge about it."
"We have a perfectly good indestructible room with nothing useful in it. Get in, go to one of its corners further away from the door and once everyone has left or has been warned and reached a safe distance, then do it. Preferably with someone watching you through a camera."

"That's my suggestion anyway. You can stay here and endanger the lives of your teammates. I'm the least likely to get hurt by whatever you do. Your teammates on the other hand... those that survive might not be so happy with you."

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 06, 2015, 08:23:44 am »

((Am I alive now?))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 06, 2015, 08:29:32 am »

((You the guy that got stabbed? Yep, I gave you a robot heart and brought you back to life.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 07, 2015, 02:28:28 am »

"Is there any passage that looks like it heads up?"
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 07, 2015, 01:09:25 pm »

"For all we know, heading down might be what gets us going up. So far though, no way to tell. Maybe this place is one infinite, self-overlapping, horizontal plane. *sigh* There's a method to this madness, I'm sure of it. There has to be..."
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 03:03:14 pm by Moopli »

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 07, 2015, 01:21:56 pm »

I died for a few seconds didn't I? Thank you for saving me medic; I don't think I ever caught your name.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 07, 2015, 06:37:01 pm »

"For all we know, heading down might be what gets us going up. So far though, no way to tell. Maybe this place is one infinite, self-overlapping, horizontal plane. *sigh* There's a method to this madness, I'm sure of it. There has to be..."

"I need an adult with a map!"
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 07, 2015, 06:53:04 pm »

"Vanessa," she replies curtly, most of her attention on the corpse of the possessed fellow.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 07, 2015, 11:13:24 pm »

"I need an adult with a map!"

"There's mapping software in the HUD menu, should be easy to find. We already set it up before we got in this mess. It still works, mostly, though it has a bit of trouble with the overlapping spaces. I'm trying to get it working even in those cases, but I think the only way I'll manage it is if we have some sort of beacons the map can triangulate with... *grumble* ... Hey team! Does anybody have some crap we could use as simple beacons of some sort? Nothing fancy, just some things that our suit computers could use to triangulate position, it'll help our mapping and navigation software deal with non-euclidean spaces. The thing second-most-likely to kill us right now, after ourselves, is getting lost. If we can somehow keep good maps of this place, even when it tries to confuse us, then the less we'll doubt ourselves when a room suddenly disappears while we're not looking, or something. I'd rather not let this place drive us... er, any more of us crazy."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #325 on: December 08, 2015, 07:14:46 am »

"You have your suit radio and your wristpad. You could also have an extra datapad or two from the armoury. Those things have wireless connections. You can use that."

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 08, 2015, 10:39:46 pm »

"Maybe the most logical thing to do in this situation is to go deeper into the belly of the beast."

Get the **** out of the observation room.

"Sir Flint, are there any more rooms, doors or corridors that need exploring?"

Open up mapping tool, mark the areas already explored and leave digital breadcrumbs on spots where we've been.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 05:25:26 am by Aigre Excalibur »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #327 on: December 10, 2015, 10:51:11 am »

"Oh, great. An infinite hallway of doors. If identical guys with suits start jumping out of doors, I'm out of here. Kung-fu lawyers are the worst kind of lawyers."
"Or maybe we're inside the throat of a giant space worm and it's trying to get us down towards its stomach."
"You know, there's a quick way of solving this problem. I could just have all the doors plasmaed with one sweep and destroy everything useful and unleash everything nasty hiding behind them. Of course, some of those nasties might take considerable effort to defeat, so that is probably a bad idea. Guess we'll have to take them a few at a time."
"I mean, it makes sense. The environment is acting all weird. Walls are indestructible. Even the security camera feeds seem wrong. But our camera feeds remain fine. Unaltered. Even that guy only got possessed by coming in contact with something strange in the environment."
"Whatever this is probably not directly related to our minds. It must be external. Something modifying reality here. Maybe some sort of teleportation experiment gone wrong, something that would merge different realities? Or some sort of alien entity? The eater or something that came along with it? Whatever. Let's just hope that the modification won't spread to us as long as we stay away from weird stuff and get out of here quickly."

@Comrade P.: "Can you check if someone can see you from the security room feeds? Wave at the camera or something, if there is one? It might tell us a bit more about how this distortion works.
Although now that I think about it, it would be a bit disturbing if they had cameras in their showers or whatever this is. Whatever was bolted down there is gone now, so there's probably little chance of finding out what was going on there. Only other thing worth checking might be the drain, although I doubt you'll find something in there."

1. Is the next hallway melting? Or is it completely normal, complete with normal lights and stuff?
2. Any cameras in it visible?
3. And when you say vanishes to the horizon, do you mean because it follows the planet's curvature or because and hides behind it? Or does it continue so far away that its end is impossible to see?

4. Can I see through the doors there? Or are they also opaque to CamEyes?
5. Any of the nearby doors big enough for me to get through?
6. Also check for signals. Any radio transmissions, radio stations, beacons or wi-fi access points visible beyond those of my teammates?

EDIT:
But, pray tell, how can I have opened the door if I wasn't there?
And I did open the door. After all, the GM is always right!

OUT! OUT DEMON! I BANISH YOU!
I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU.
Decapitate the demon and put it in an artifact container. Hellfire should make a good renewable energy source. Unless hell has been consumed by a thermophage.
It seems completely normal. Well, except for the fact that it's infinite.
None.
It continues so far that you can't see the end.
Everything is. This place is stubbornly ignoring your expanded seeing capacity.
All of them, assuming you crawl.
There's a steady background buzz on the radio, but otherwise nothing.

"It doesn't seem like there is a camera, yeah. So we'll just check the drain and we're out."

- Hey guys, check it, will ya, I'm going to see if security room is still "normal".

Pop out and peek into security room. Is it stretched out too or not? After that, get back to where the people are crowding at.
The security room is the same as when you left it.

Scratch the objects in the control room with one of my knives to see if they are invincible like the walls and doors. (keyboard, chairs, console itself etc.)

If they are indeed invincible, attempt to steal a normally removable or dismantle-able piece of equipment or furniture such as the keyboard or a wheelie chair.

With the mandatory kleptomania out of the way, head into the newly opened hallway and cautiously begin peeking into rooms until I see something of interest.

They appear to be. In fact, the keys on the keyboard scratch your knife when you scrape it along their edge. That's disconcerting.

Well, the keyboard is hard wired to the computer which is bolted to the ground, but the desk chair can be wheeled out. You do so, wheeling it out into the hall. That's when things get weird. When you look back, there's still a chair in that room. And there's now a chair out in the hall with you; both exist simultaneously.

"Aw man, Lavoisier is gonna be pissed."

Make a little program using helmet rangefinder sensor and trig to measure level of spatial distortion in surroundings. Share it with everyone. ((this thing simply checks curvature of the space between 3 points by calculating the sum of interior angles. Using the rangefinder to scan across FOV you can build a map of levels of spatial distortion in the area you see. Given the non-euclidean spaces, maybe there's something going on here. I'm reasonably sure we do have such sensors, I think they've been used before))

"Hey guys, I coded up a new view mode that calculates and displays the level of spatial distortion around you. Figure it might be useful what with the overlapping rooms."
The problem with that is the spatial distortion is, at least so far, not obvious. Two rooms that should intersecting but aren't isn't the sort of thing easily measured using simple visual input. At least not without higher brain  functions to realize that this shit don't fly.

I should clarify what I meant was to collect all his body parts and then just keep his brain inside my portable brain compartment, not reattach it to the guy's body. If the brain starts trying to mindfuck me while it's in there, spit it out and squish it.
Alright, gathered and stored.

Stand well away from the others, preferably in an indestructible room with nothing in it, and hold two of the sullen moon nyartifact stones, gradually moving them near to one another, but not letting them touch. Observe. Try to pick two stones that seem to have shared an edge.

You get the two stones fairly close, about 8 inches apart. The stones seem to glow slightly and you can feel them trying to pull themselves together, like two large magnets.

"Maybe the most logical thing to do in this situation is to go deeper into the belly of the beast."

Get the **** out of the observation room.

"Sir Flint, are there any more rooms, doors or corridors that need exploring?"

Open up mapping tool, mark the areas already explored and leave digital breadcrumbs on spots where we've been.
Done. Should be easy to remember; you've explored 2 rooms and a section of hall so far. But kudos for forethought, Theseus.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #328 on: December 10, 2015, 11:45:32 am »

"Oh, that's cool. Infinite chairs." We could make a fortune on office supplies.
Wait, even better! Infinite indestructible chairs. They'd make perfect construction material. Like tetris blocks. With wheels.
What am I thinking... they're infinite! We could make infinite chairs and have them collapse into a black hole!
No, wait, that's stupid. Those are office chairs... and everyone knows there's only one approved and sanctioned use of office chairs!

"Well guys, first I'm going to try and see how badly this place breaks reality. Then I'm going to see how infinite this infinite hallway really is. Feel free to look around those rooms in the meantime. Or, I dunno, do whatever. Just try to not get yourselves killed. And keep talking. That way we'll know if something weird happens to one of you."

Well, I've got some rope with me. You've never said how long the rope or the hallway is, so if you think it's appropriate, I'd like to try some tests:
1. Try to tie one end of the rope in the security room and the other end of the rope in the observation room in roughly the same place it should be in the security room. See if anything interesting happens.

2. Try to tie the rope somewhere in the observation room or the security room and then kick it to the blurry area in the elevator. If it can't reach the rooms, then try it with the blurry area and a door or one of the infinite chairs.
See if anything weird happens to the rope and the object it's attached to.
See how far the blurriness extends.
See if a laser can be used to cut the rope when it's blurry.

Once that's done, if nothing has exploded, ride a chair and use it to rocket-skate down the infinite hallway. Just look for anything weird, either in the chair, in the hallway or my emotions. If nothing is found after a couple of minutes, head back to the others.

When you have a rocket, a battlesuit and an indestructible chair, there are some things you just gotta try.

EDIT: As I head back, use those cans of spraypaint I'm carrying around to mark the hallway and doors with lines and numbers respectively, just in case there's some repetition or distortion or similar.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:13:44 pm by Parisbre56 »

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #329 on: December 10, 2015, 11:57:21 am »

Once that's done, if nothing has exploded, ride a chair and use it to rocket-skate down the infinite hallway. Just look for anything weird, either in the chair, in the hallway or my emotions. If nothing is found after a couple of minutes, head back to the others.[/b]
When you have a rocket, a battlesuit and an indestructible chair, there are some things you just gotta try.

((I reckon you'll go about 100m until you either hit an invisible wall, or loop back around to where you start.))
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35