Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 35

Author Topic: Mission 24: By the pricking of my thumbs...  (Read 61327 times)

Nunzillor

Re: Mission 24: By the pricking of my thumbs...
« Reply #300 on: December 01, 2015, 01:19:45 am »

((That made me laugh pretty hard.))

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 01, 2015, 12:20:49 pm »

"Hmm, but do we have recordings from the guy himself? I was hoping for a camera that was brought along for the penetration. Maybe there's some perceptible warning sign in case, say, an eldritch anus came along and tried to swallow us. How will we know before we go nuts?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #302 on: December 01, 2015, 02:15:45 pm »

"Hmm, but do we have recordings from the guy himself? I was hoping for a camera that was brought along for the penetration. Maybe there's some perceptible warning sign in case, say, an eldritch anus came along and tried to swallow us. How will we know before we go nuts?"
"You can always take his helmet and check his helmetcam footage, if you're feeling brave. Maybe there's something interesting there. Just try not to get mindfucked by the footage. If you don't feel like your mind is strong enough and if you don't feel like getting decapitated like Mr Stabby should you fail, then maybe it's better to let the science team do it when we get back. Otherwise, if you're confident your mind is strong enough and you don't mind dying, then go right ahead. And make sure to warn people to stay away from you if you do."

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 01, 2015, 02:44:05 pm »

"You can always take his helmet and check his helmetcam footage, if you're feeling brave. Maybe there's something interesting there. Just try not to get mindfucked by the footage. If you don't feel like your mind is strong enough and if you don't feel like getting decapitated like Mr Stabby should you fail, then maybe it's better to let the science team do it when we get back. Otherwise, if you're confident your mind is strong enough and you don't mind dying, then go right ahead. And make sure to warn people to stay away from you if you do."

((Oh, I thought his helmet was collateral damage. Was he decapitated, or decerebrated? If the helmet is extant then I think I could risk looking at the footage, I do have Mind, Fate, and Exo...))

Float a bit of cane material over to the dead peep, and:
- move the knife safely away from him
- nudge his foot to check for reaction, then nudge his head&helmet away from him
- remove his head from his helmet
- Eat his brains to absorb his knowledge
- try to remove his wristpad from him while keeping it in working condition
- examine both for anomalous effects, particularly ones that might influence the pimpcane material
- If they seem safe, use pimpcane to push buttons and get his suit computers in a state where I could just use my own wristpad instead of bothering with all this careful rigor
- Find recordings, do not watch any yet

"Alright, if anyone wants to risk their mind looking through butthead's feeds I can send them to you. If not, I'll study some stills"

Conditional action: If nobody else want to look through the feeds, put the pimpcane down, walk away a few meters, sit crosslegged, and look through stills every few seconds going backwards from the time of decapitation. If those are safe, slowly step forward through the recordings of the part where head->blurryzone, look through all helmet sensors to see if there's some useful signs. Write down results, note major results over radio.

((you guys think this is rigorous enough :P?))
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 03:30:45 pm by Moopli »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #304 on: December 03, 2015, 12:27:08 pm »

Examine some consoles inside the room that I opened the door to.
EGAN YOU AREN'T HERE

I CAN'T HEAR YOU!
But, pray tell, how can I have opened the door if I wasn't there?
And I did open the door. After all, the GM is always right!

OUT! OUT DEMON! I BANISH YOU!

Aight, now go fix stabbed people.

Also go collect possessed guy's body parts after confirming he's actually (temp)dead. If his parts/brain starts exhibiting any anomalous behaviour, eject them.

You walk over to the guy that the other guy stabbed in the chest. He's a quick one; you just replace his damaged heart with a robotic one and force him back to life.

The other guy....well...you won't be able to tell if his brain is off until you stick it back on the body. You wanna do that?
Attempt to open both the blast door and any doors I can identify as belonging to observation rooms.

Stop bilocating, try and smash down the foam wall some moron put up for a joke with the butt of my rifle, after putting the safety catch on, obviously, if any remains.

Otherwise, observe the computer stuff, and open random files and scan them if I get a turn at the console.

"Really people, this is a serious mission here, stop messing around with foam!"
You're not gonna be able to smash it down; thats kinda the point of the stuff.

As per files, there really aren't any. The console is a monitoring station, not a pc.

"With that over, let's get rid of that obstruction."

Use goop disolver spraybottle I still have to dissolve goop wall, and continue on towards the group stuck at the end of the hall.
Done and done. You rejoin with the group near the blast door.

You open the blast door, along with any and all other doors you can find. Easy enough.

Go out there and rally to flint.

Enter the other door with Vladmir, ready to shoot anything that looks at us wrong.

"Now, can someone go and carefully check that other door? We know one has a control room but what's in the other one?

- On it.

Do what Flint requires.
((We don't exactly have a map of the immediate area (apart from that diagram with the foam wall), do we?
I'm a tad lost, and I don't have time to re-read the whole thread right now, so this action will be rather vague. Also I'm hella sleepy.))

Cheerfully wander over to the door Flint indicated and inspect it. Scan it (and whatever it hides) with the cameye on my robo-wang.

If nothing seems overly threatening, attempt to open it- with my rifle slung across my back and my cutlass raised, ready to deal with any scurvy dogs attempting to board us through the doorway once it's open. If shit's too weird, just describe whatever I see over comms.

((GODDAMN NINJA))

...Bumble along the same route as Vladimir, getting underfoot whilst attempting to inspect the door at the same time.
Then come to my senses and take up position on the other side of the doorway, ready to hack at anything scary that might make its way through.

The other door is... well it doesn't make sense. It's a room. Quite a large, empty room. It appears to have been an observation room at some point; there's a tiled floor and what look like several places on the walls and floor where things were physically bolted down, as well as a drain in the center. The strange part is that this room is so large that it should make the security room impossible. The two should be overlapping.

"Good. You should heed our medic's advice. Let this be a lesson about what happens to people who aren't careful when it comes to unknown space magic. They end up losing their head."

"Now, can someone go and carefully check that other door? We know one has a control room but what's in the other one? I'd do it myself but I'd prefer to stand guard here, in case any friends of Mr. Stabby decide to pay us a visit or that big door opens."

What's the atmosphere like around here? Would it be dangerous to remove my helmet, assuming the biological material in the air is safe?

Do I see anything significant about the blurry area with CamEyes?
What happens when I poke it with a stick metal pole? Does the pole vibrate or otherwise change when seen through CamEyes?
Use a pole plus an artifact container to try and get anything that might be there. Not very high chances of getting something, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Otherwise, just stand guard in the hallway, looking for anything suspicious.

Dunno. The suits aren't flagging anything as deadly but their sensors aren't all powerful or all knowing.

Nothing beyond the blurriness. That blurriness doesn't exist outside of the visible spectrum though; ie it's not blurry on other vision modes.
The pole gets a bit blurry on the end (again only in normal spectrum) but it doesn't seem to move or anything.
You try to scoop the blur but no luck.

((Oh, I thought his helmet was collateral damage. Was he decapitated, or decerebrated? If the helmet is extant then I think I could risk looking at the footage, I do have Mind, Fate, and Exo...))

Float a bit of cane material over to the dead peep, and:
- move the knife safely away from him
- nudge his foot to check for reaction, then nudge his head&helmet away from him
- remove his head from his helmet
- Eat his brains to absorb his knowledge
- try to remove his wristpad from him while keeping it in working condition
- examine both for anomalous effects, particularly ones that might influence the pimpcane material
- If they seem safe, use pimpcane to push buttons and get his suit computers in a state where I could just use my own wristpad instead of bothering with all this careful rigor
- Find recordings, do not watch any yet

"Alright, if anyone wants to risk their mind looking through butthead's feeds I can send them to you. If not, I'll study some stills"

Conditional action: If nobody else want to look through the feeds, put the pimpcane down, walk away a few meters, sit crosslegged, and look through stills every few seconds going backwards from the time of decapitation. If those are safe, slowly step forward through the recordings of the part where head->blurryzone, look through all helmet sensors to see if there's some useful signs. Write down results, note major results over radio.

((you guys think this is rigorous enough :P?))
Well...lets just say you got his knife and wrist pad.

As per his suit recording, which is visible to anyone now, it doesn't show anything weird. I mean, it shows everything that just happened from his perspective, but nothing stands out. There's no 1 frame of a demon face staring at you or something.

As per what is beyond the blast door, it is a continuation of the hall.  And by continuation I mean that it is a hall that stretches out to the point that it vanishes into the horizon. It appears clean, well lit and utterly silent and empty. There are scattered doors on either side but the hall itself seems unending.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 03, 2015, 12:42:05 pm »

":It's Vladimir, reporting from the... what, observation room? The one next to security room. Me and two more men are in it right now. What we see is very confusing - the room appears to be so large it should be overlapping with the closest ones. Must be some sort of optical illusion, or anomaly. No activity whatsoever, room is almost empty save for some things bolted to the ground and walls, probably some equipment pieces.:"

Vladimir snaps several pictures and sends them over to Flint after his voice message.

- Not much to see here, if you ask me. What do you say, guys?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 12:46:19 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #306 on: December 03, 2015, 12:59:15 pm »

"Oh, great. An infinite hallway of doors. If identical guys with suits start jumping out of doors, I'm out of here. Kung-fu lawyers are the worst kind of lawyers."
"Or maybe we're inside the throat of a giant space worm and it's trying to get us down towards its stomach."
"You know, there's a quick way of solving this problem. I could just have all the doors plasmaed with one sweep and destroy everything useful and unleash everything nasty hiding behind them. Of course, some of those nasties might take considerable effort to defeat, so that is probably a bad idea. Guess we'll have to take them a few at a time."
"I mean, it makes sense. The environment is acting all weird. Walls are indestructible. Even the security camera feeds seem wrong. But our camera feeds remain fine. Unaltered. Even that guy only got possessed by coming in contact with something strange in the environment."
"Whatever this is probably not directly related to our minds. It must be external. Something modifying reality here. Maybe some sort of teleportation experiment gone wrong, something that would merge different realities? Or some sort of alien entity? The eater or something that came along with it? Whatever. Let's just hope that the modification won't spread to us as long as we stay away from weird stuff and get out of here quickly."

@Comrade P.: "Can you check if someone can see you from the security room feeds? Wave at the camera or something, if there is one? It might tell us a bit more about how this distortion works.
Although now that I think about it, it would be a bit disturbing if they had cameras in their showers or whatever this is. Whatever was bolted down there is gone now, so there's probably little chance of finding out what was going on there. Only other thing worth checking might be the drain, although I doubt you'll find something in there."

1. Is the next hallway melting? Or is it completely normal, complete with normal lights and stuff?
2. Any cameras in it visible?
3. And when you say vanishes to the horizon, do you mean because it follows the planet's curvature or because and hides behind it? Or does it continue so far away that its end is impossible to see?

4. Can I see through the doors there? Or are they also opaque to CamEyes?
5. Any of the nearby doors big enough for me to get through?
6. Also check for signals. Any radio transmissions, radio stations, beacons or wi-fi access points visible beyond those of my teammates?

EDIT:

I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU.
Decapitate the demon and put it in an artifact container. Hellfire should make a good renewable energy source. Unless hell has been consumed by a thermophage.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:16:09 pm by Parisbre56 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 03, 2015, 04:14:33 pm »

I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 03, 2015, 04:55:24 pm »

"It doesn't seem like there is a camera, yeah. So we'll just check the drain and we're out."

- Hey guys, check it, will ya, I'm going to see if security room is still "normal".

Pop out and peek into security room. Is it stretched out too or not? After that, get back to where the people are crowding at.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 03, 2015, 08:10:40 pm »

Scratch the objects in the control room with one of my knives to see if they are invincible like the walls and doors. (keyboard, chairs, console itself etc.)

If they are indeed invincible, attempt to steal a normally removable or dismantle-able piece of equipment or furniture such as the keyboard or a wheelie chair.

With the mandatory kleptomania out of the way, head into the newly opened hallway and cautiously begin peeking into rooms until I see something of interest.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 03, 2015, 08:53:32 pm »

((Do it Xan do it Xan do it Xan. C'mon you know you want to reattach my head to my body. Heh, what's the worst that can happen?))
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 03, 2015, 09:39:10 pm »

((go for it xan, but detach all his limbs first so all he can do is scream shockwaves at us.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 03, 2015, 10:47:29 pm »

Make a little program using helmet rangefinder sensor and trig to measure level of spatial distortion in surroundings. Share it with everyone. ((this thing simply checks curvature of the space between 3 points by calculating the sum of interior angles. Using the rangefinder to scan across FOV you can build a map of levels of spatial distortion in the area you see. Given the non-euclidean spaces, maybe there's something going on here. I'm reasonably sure we do have such sensors, I think they've been used before))

"Hey guys, I coded up a new view mode that calculates and displays the level of spatial distortion around you. Figure it might be useful what with the overlapping rooms."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 04, 2015, 01:22:51 am »

I should clarify what I meant was to collect all his body parts and then just keep his brain inside my portable brain compartment, not reattach it to the guy's body. If the brain starts trying to mindfuck me while it's in there, spit it out and squish it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 04, 2015, 12:30:47 pm »

I should clarify what I meant was to collect all his body parts and then just keep his brain inside my portable brain compartment, not reattach it to the guy's body. If the brain starts trying to mindfuck me while it's in there, spit it out and squish it.

((I think it might be more interesting and useful to attempt a vivisection, or maybe some other invasive procedure))
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 35