Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Deleted  (Read 2523 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Deleted
« on: October 08, 2015, 04:24:11 am »

You ever consider stabbing your buddy? That loot ninja asshole who won't shut up about "THE STORY OF HIS PEOPLE"? Now's your chance.

You remember the golden days of DOOM and Quake? Brutal no-holds barred murder fests into the small hours of the morning? How about Halo 2 after class for what felt like days?

This is Fourthcore Team Deathmatch. This is what happens when a bunch of dudes look at D&D and decide that not enough people have died yet. Team-based, cooperative, fast paced murder-blitz action. Fourthcore Team Deathmatch is a game of skill, wits, and strategy. Fourthcore Team Deathmatch is a game about winning D&D.

Interested?

Games will be played on Roll20, with dates decided by the individual teams involved, within reason. I am in the PST timezone, but I have a lot of time available.

Spoiler: DA RULZ (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  CHARGEN INFO (click to show/hide)

You only make one character, but you need to partner up with three other players to create a team. Give your team a name, and a colour, something to strike fear into your enemies! Whem making your character, post a sheet (in text) to the thread, edited into your sign up post. We'll also have your sheet in Roll20, so everyone can look at each other's sheets. There is no hidden information here, only violence! Please cite where your powers and such are taken from. Dragon Magazine is, with the exception of the backgrounds from the Scales of War Article, totally allowed.  You'll also need to provide me with a token I can use for you.

To sign up, just post your interest and available times so other players can see it and you can form a team without time zones getting in the way. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

A limited number of pre-made dungeoneers will be available, if you have no idea what you are doing.

When in doubt, Kill more, Die less.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:42:46 am by Wrex »

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: (D&D 4e Fourthcore Team Deathmatch) For Ludicrous Gibs! No player limit!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:25:10 am »

A guide to effective murder machine creation, borrowed from the impeccable C. Steven Ross:

Level 1
FTDM starts and ends at first level, that's it. No magic items ('cept what's in the maps). No paths or destinies. No feat combos ('cept for humans, and that's only two). No stat bumps, no utility powers, no retraining. Many of the CharOp boards' builds go to level 30 and essentially disregard first level. Even with the limited resources available, there are still billions of possible permutations, and millions of them are going to be kickass.
tl;dr - 30th level super-builds won't help you here

Encounter Powers
Encounter powers are your bread and butter. You die and respawn A LOT. If you die every round, you get fresh encounter powers every round. Essentials builds tend toward encounter boosters, without a daily bang. Since they're balanced against AEDU builds, this can sometimes trend towards unbalanced (read: better!) in FTDM. Also, if you only last a turn or two? Standard action encounter abilities are less interesting than ones that take less time. For example, multiclass striker feats that boost damage "once per encounter" have a pretty good bang for their buck in FTDM.
tl;dr - treat encounters almost like at-wills

Daily Powers
Daily powers with "end of encounter" effects are bomb. I've seen players "waste" the attack/damage of their Daily just to get the effect. Even if there's a sustain effect, take a good look at it. Remember, you can sustain through respawn! (but not stunned) Resistance? Defense boosts? Phantom Chasm? Damage boosts? All gold.
tl;dr - if your daily doesn't have an EoE effect, it had better be sweet

At-Will Powers
The little I will say here is that unless you have some stupid-awesome combo, humans and half-elves take their Essentials racial powers.

Hybrids
Full leaders are generally unnecessary. A pretty consistent design I've seen is the hybrid leader with an emphasis on another role. One heal per "encounter" is generally plenty. Also, a lot of the roleplaying "fluff" and higher level awesome that gets chopped off of hybrid characters (which is why people avoid them) doesn't matter much in FTDM.
tl;dr - hybrids? better than you think

Defenses
Killing one guy with one low defense three times is easier than killing three guys with high defenses once each. This goes both ways, and is probably directly responsible for WetwORCs losing the very first PbP match, despite good builds and tactics. Good strategies are having options to target multiple NADs, and accepting that your 11 in Fort or Will is going to be a big red circle.
tl;dr - shore up your defenses, or expect your bad NAD to get you killed

Hit Points
The current errata outlaws weird backgrounds (Auspicious Birth and other HP-swaps) which would be gold, so a Con-centered build will help with HP. FTDM doesn't have a healing surge economy, so starting HP is what you rely on. The most effective all-around FTDM builds combine high hit points with high damage - you want to be able to nova and one-shot other dungeoneers, but be able to survive your opponents' novas.
tl;dr - high hit points, high damage

Race
The simple answer in this case is to find powers that directly contribute to the two prime directives of FTDM: don't die, and kill fast. For example, the gnome's Trickster traits and Fade Away pale in comparison to the half-orc's Resilience and Furious Assault, at least in FTDM. In terms of ability bonuses and racial feats, peruse the CharOp boards. Most races have obvious (and hidden) killer combos for FTDM.
tl;dr - support your focus, follow CharOp

Skills
Even hybrids with their tiny skill list will do well here. Unless a map has features to make skills useful, the only good ones in FTDM are Athletics/Acrobatics and Perception/Stealth. This is in direct opposition to the way most Fourthcore adventures (and even regular D&D) operate. There aren't skill challenges. You aren't making monster knowledge rolls. You need to jump pits, break your fall, notice invisible people, or be unseen. A background to get one of the core four as a class skill isn't a bad idea. Some maps have special effects if you're trained in a skill- so don't discount the extras.
tl;dr - Athletics/Acrobatics/Perception/Stealth - go!

Map Optimization
This is going to have its own Boot Camp at some point. As you've probably noticed, each of the maps can have wildly different strategies. Terrain hazards? (E1M1, E1M2, E4M1, E5M2) Use and defend against forced movement! Tight hallways? (E3M1, E5M1) Wall of fur, teleports, shift through people. In E4M1 the big terrain power causes permanent blindness. Building for that, you could fully expect to be blind half the match, and prepare bursts, blasts, and blind-fighting. I haven't seen it in play yet, but E5M1 will probably favor speed and snipers. E2M1's tiny platform can be dominated with encounter-long zones. I honestly don't know what to think of E6M1 - it's too freakin' random to plan against.
tl;dr - understand and prepare for your map

Glossary
FTDM - Fourthcore Team Deathmatch
tl;dr - Too long, didn't read (basically, the section summary)
CharOp - Character Optimization, the science of getting extreme results from the system
Nova - expend several resources to do a ton of damage
One-shot - damage an opponent enough to bring them from full HP to 0 or less in one round
AEDU - short for at-will/encounter/daily/utility - Essentials scrapped this design to make more individualized classes.
Gold - the color coding system on the CharOp forums uses gold as "must-have"
NADs - Fortitude, Reflex, and Will, or the "non-AC defenses"
Wall of Fur - a fringe build that relies on multiple beast companions or summons to provide roadblocks, flanking, etc.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:37:44 am by Wrex »

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 04:25:26 am »

The Hall of Champions

Sometimes, a mighty champion outlives their controller, and is consigned to rotting in the holding cells, waiting for the chance to take life anew. If you have no idea in mind, you could do worse than picking one of these fine, battle scarred warriors. Their status sheets here are abbreviated, showing off their numbers and important abilities. The full sheets are in the game page on Roll20

Spoiler:  The Mindbreaker (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Hypothermia (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Richard (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  A Paradox (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Witch of Izalith (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:50:24 am by Wrex »

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 04:26:12 am »

And reserved 3. Posting is go

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 04:37:51 am »

I'm in. Just give me time to create a character.

Also, I'm on whatever team is based in Europe.
Better yet, the Scandinavian region.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 04:26:29 pm »

Didn't you promise this thread would be up like three days ago?

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 04:45:53 pm »

I did! But I got side tracked. Working on other projects and also booze.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 05:33:25 pm »

I'm certainly interested, depending on what time they'll be held at.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 05:33:35 pm »

Posting to watch, will probably make a character soonish.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 06:04:12 pm »

I'm certainly interested, depending on what time they'll be held at.

Mostly, this depends on when both your team and the enemy team can meet. Since this is like eight player at minimum, I do need to be a certain degree of flexible in time. As far as days when I can GM? Basically every day from Ten AM to Midnight, PST, except Sundays. My work schedule is flexible, so I can deal.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 06:34:11 pm »

In that case, is probably best to pick teams based off of time compatibility.
I'm PST also, and any day but Sunday works for me.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 07:06:40 pm »

Yep, deciding on your team is probably best based on when you can play, so putting up your times in your post would do wonders.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 07:26:02 pm »

PTW
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 07:32:20 pm »

Yep, Dragon magazine, with the exception of the backgrounds from the Scales of War article, is totally legal. I think I mentioned this in the OP? Be sure to read everything carefully, as some things are a little different.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:34:27 pm by Wrex »

Pages: [1] 2