Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 45

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LVII: The Extra Guards Game over Town Victory  (Read 54933 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

They're reasonable actions for all the roles and alignments we have in this game, actually. Perhaps you should consider that before deciding whether or not someone is a VT. Or have you forgotten your first BM?

NJW is most likely a VT, yes. Then again, so is everyone else from a statistical standpoint.

One more thing:

And just because he uses his vote on you does not warrant an... attempt to undermine their only power.

Perhaps you should follow your own advice, or does it not apply when you're the one being a dickhead? /rhetorical
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

I was saying this to you because you were insisting that I vote NJW. I was fine with you voting him for whatever reason you want, but not if you were trying to force me to do so as well. I thought his actions were perfectly reasonable.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Again with the "insisting"? How many times do I need to point out to you that one post is not insistent, incessant, relentless or any other words that suggest to the other players I was repeatedly telling you to vote NJW?

Are you constantly/incessantly/relentlessly/insistently (delete as appropriate :P) misrepresenting me for a reason?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You seem really interested in how I felt at around that time, and I'm being honest. That is how I felt about you. After some explaining, I unvoted you.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not really sure how you managed to move the conversation from you assuming NJW was VT to why you voted me in two or three posts, but that's pretty good play if you're scum. Well done.

That's the salient point, though. You were assuming NJW was VT, not town. Pretty significant difference.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I never assumed NJW was VT. What you saw as "scummy" I saw as "reasonable action for a VT" that's the end of it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good try (not really) but you don't get to tell me when I'm done ;)

What makes you think he's not tunneling?
The fact that every vanilla townie has only one weapon, a vote. And just because he uses his vote on you does not warrant an all-out attempt to undermine their only power.

What is this, then, if not an assumption that NJW is VT?

You say VT's only have a vote, then say I shouldn't undermine their only power, referring to NJW's vote on me.

If you're not assuming NJW is VT, then the quoted sentence doesn't make sense as an answer to my question. Do VTs never tunnel? Why bring up VTs at all?

You also say "their", implying you're not VT. But that's just me being pedantic.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I bring up VT because you assume he is scum, but I see no reason that he can't be a VT. If he were VT, then I would find his actions completely reasonable. I myself would not like it if someone took my vote and turned it into me tunneling. Especially if it is an OMGUS. I may have assumed he was VT for the sake of a hypothetical situation, but never assumed he was one in the game.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

Hector, you may not have noticed, but he thought you were scum in that post.

I don't know much about your big-town fancy mafia logics, but I do know that things were simpler when we lived by the fruit of our labour and the sweat of our brows when two people go up against one another and post many pages of arguments about why the other is scum, there's a high chance they're not both scum. You just seem to be pedantically attacking him for one post in which he assumed/ took as given I was town, or just said what the case would be if I were town.

That is why my vote is still on you.
One wheel short of a wagon

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

NJW

I don't know much about your big-town fancy mafia logics, but I do know that things were simpler when we lived by the fruit of our labour and the sweat of our brows when two people go up against one another and post many pages of arguments about why the other is scum, there's a high chance they're not both scum. You just seem to be pedantically attacking him for one post in which he assumed/ took as given I was town, or just said what the case would be if I were town.

Aye, if I were scum I've drawn fairly significant attention to myself by attacking two townies in one day. If I were scum, why would I have to look at anyone else when you're the one in line to get lynched? If I were scum, having a townie get lynched would be fantastic for me. If I were scum, I would thus have no reason whatsoever to attack another player, my job would be done.

Did it escape your notice he said I didn't offer you any counter-arguments to you voting for me? I'm sure you would know otherwise, seeing as you were the player I was arguing with.

But you don't care about these things. Your vote is on me because you can't look past your pet theory that I'm scum, no other reason. This is just another thing that you can add to the theory, ignoring the fact I'm trying to clarify something that doesn't make sense.

OSG voted for me in that post. He also summarised his reason for that vote - in another post - as my attempt to get him to vote for you, saying that the argument we had made no lasting impression on him. It appears to have nothing to do with the answer he made in the post in which he actually voted me, despite the fact he accused me of "reacting poorly" (two days after your initial attack, after a long back-and-forth argument) to you attacking me.

He also said he wouldn't expect an experienced town player to try to get another player on a bandwagon. It makes them look desperate. Evidently he failed to consider that that experience would translate easily to scum, too. I doubt he'd expect an experienced scum player to do that, either.

OSG
I bring up VT because you assume he is scum, but I see no reason that he can't be a VT. If he were VT, then I would find his actions completely reasonable. I myself would not like it if someone took my vote and turned it into me tunneling. Especially if it is an OMGUS. I may have assumed he was VT for the sake of a hypothetical situation, but never assumed he was one in the game.

... I asked a direct question about a specific person's play in this game, and you answer with a hypothetical situation about that player..? Taking a page from the "Roo Handbook For Cryptic Responses"? Maybe we start calling you obfuscationscienceguy...

First it's "no I wasn't assuming anything!" now it's "okay, maybe I was, but only hypothetically!" so I think my vote is happy where it is.

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(I love lurker tracker.  So much easier to find specific posts. :D)

origamiscienceguy:
Lynch all lurkers is much more difficult. I know that TDS can usually only post during one part of the day, but his extended dissapearence is disconcerting. I wouldn't waste a day voting for him unless you really don't know who else to vote for.
How well do you know TDS?  Does he usually play like this?  What is your read on him for this game?

AbstractTraitorHero:
1.  During Day 1, you mentioned in this post and this post that you were primarily playing for fun rather than to win.  However, during early Day 2, you mentioned that, at the beginning of Day 1, you were nervous and watching the thread for replies despite being tired.  If you were only playing for fun, then why did you feel nervous and watch the thread like a hawk?
2.  You said here that you were gonna keep a closer eye on hector13's future posts.  What is your opinion of hector13's interactions with NJW2000 and origamiscienceguy during Day 2?
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

Hector: people have referred to other players as vanilla town without knowing if they were or not before. It can actually help, as you don't have to say "assuming he's town", as someone isn't going to say otherwise about themselves, and its a valid assumption to make. And your defence... just, no. You respond to my accusations of pedantism after you went after someone for not remembering to say that they were talking about a hypothetical situation, with an irate and complex attack on him.

NJW

Did it escape your notice he said I didn't offer you any counter-arguments to you voting for me? I'm sure you would know otherwise, seeing as you were the player I was arguing with.

Yeah, you attacked my reasoning when I chose my words poorly, and attacked me when I clarified myself and kept on. But to the main driving thrust of my case: you haven't said much that's stu -

HOLD ON A BLOODY MINUTE HERE - you said he claimed you didn't make any counterarguments. WHat he said was this:
What makes you think he's not tunneling?
The fact that every vanilla townie has only one weapon, a vote. And just because he uses his vote on you does not warrant an all-out attempt to undermine their only power. You are reacting in the completely wrong way to someone voting for you. You should be making arguments to counter his own rather than flailing around random scum-tells to a completely townie action.

Hector13
That you should concentrate your attentions on either my arguments or on scumhunting generally, rather than trying to bring me down for no reason. Whether or not you were flailing around slapping scumtells onto your read of me without justification, he seems to have thought so, and he was only advising you to avoid OMGUSing and make counters. I'll repeat myself, as you have a bit of a habit of misconstruing people: he thought you were practically OMGUSing, and told you not too, saying what you should do instead.

And yet again, with your "oh-I'm-Hector13-and-I've-been-treated-so-unjustly-by-everyone-saying-I'm-scum" act, manage to twist this into lying. Another example of your machinations - unless you have some kind of disability stopping you understanding English properly, which still lets you have a mature and spuriously accurate writing style. Dis-town-exia, perhaps :P

If I were scum, why would I have to look at anyone else when you're the one in line to get lynched? If I were scum, having a townie get lynched would be fantastic for me. If I were scum, I would thus have no reason whatsoever to attack another player, my job would be done.
Oh, and as to your "look, I made it so you didn't get lynched by voting someone else instead so I can't be scum, because scum would let you get lynched" thing: could just be scum effort to appear town. And a completely free town-point, for extra scumhunting, if you manage to make sure town get lynched anyway. Yes, this "no it's not town it's just to look town" does get us into WIFOM or just useless unproveable motive dissection. Besides, I still have a coupla votes on me anyway, don't I? So I'm not taking this as an assurance you're town.

Well, that little lie took up a great deal of my time today. Thanks, Hector, I might have some more posts later, might not be able to.

Totally not hoping for another doublecounted vote accident, no sir, not me.
One wheel short of a wagon

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile

origamiscienceguy:
Lynch all lurkers is much more difficult. I know that TDS can usually only post during one part of the day, but his extended dissapearence is disconcerting. I wouldn't waste a day voting for him unless you really don't know who else to vote for.
How well do you know TDS?  Does he usually play like this?  What is your read on him for this game?

AbstractTraitorHero:
1.  During Day 1, you mentioned in this post and this post that you were primarily playing for fun rather than to win.  However, during early Day 2, you mentioned that, at the beginning of Day 1, you were nervous and watching the thread for replies despite being tired.  If you were only playing for fun, then why did you feel nervous and watch the thread like a hawk?
2.  You said here that you were gonna keep a closer eye on hector13's future posts.  What is your opinion of hector13's interactions with NJW2000 and origamiscienceguy during Day 2?
speech keyboard is ago
 1. You can be nervous while having fun it's very simple it's more of an excitable  feeling really.

2 not much honestly I am actually struggling to find scumtells in their posts and such to help tell whether or not they're actually  town my suspicions of Hector 13 is waning though and origami?
Origami seems fairly town to me at least origami has not set any alarms off.

((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

origamiscienceguy:

He normally posts one big wall of text per day. I've rarely gotten a read on him unless its through other players.

@Hector:

I did answer your question. You assumed he was scum, I made sure to keep the option of him being VT open. If he was VT, his actions would make sense, if he was scum, his actions would make sense. Just like every other player in this game. That is the extent of my hypothetical situation.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 45