Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 45

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LVII: The Extra Guards Game over Town Victory  (Read 55087 times)

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Extend

I've been working on a summary of my reads on 4maskedwolf, NJW2000, and TolyK, but I keep getting interrupted in rl so progress is slower than I hoped.  I probably won't be able to post from a computer again until 16-18 hours from now, so I'm hoping for an extend if possible.  For now, here's some stuff I noticed as I was rereading TolyK's posts.

So, I was reading through, when...

The fact that nobody died last night and AbstractTraitorHero was able to do his investigation is rather surprising.  That means one of several things happened.
1.  The jailor blocked a scum member.
2.  The jailor protected the scum's nightkill target, which wasn't AbstractTraitorHero. 
3.  The scum decided not to kill anyone for some reason.  This would be bad play since this is counter to their win condition, so I don't think that's what happened.
4.  The scum didn't submit a target to fillipk because they were offline/inactive during Night 1.  Based on my look through everyone's profiles, this seems unlikely, but still a possibility.
5.  AbstractTraitorHero was targeted by the scum and protected by the jailor, but is lying to us about his investigation results as part of another loony gambit to try to lure out scum.  A distinct possibility given what we've seen ATH try doing on Day 1, but I hope this isn't the case.

I think #1 or #2 is what happened.  The Jailor probably targeted someone they thought seemed scummy and either they actually hit scum or hit the scum's target.  If the scum were expecting the jailor to protect ATH, then that could be why they chose a different target.  I'm leaning a bit more toward #1 since that would require only the jailor to choose the right target instead of both the scum and jailor choosing the same target.
#3. This is actually really clever. Given the assumption of "scum kill every night", that logically means a failed kill is due to a protection or the mafia being blocked. The first is ~5 times less likely to be true, so by this logic whoever the RB targeted is scum. However, scum don't have to kill every night, which is where the fun part is: By not killing, they're effectively framing the person who was jailed. So unfortunately the "jailkeeper stopped two kills" by D3 doesn't work for finding the mafia, because of possible shenanigans of framing. So my suggestion is for the JK to keep quiet for now, and act almost as though they know nothing (to lower the chances of getting killed on a hunch). Possibly, hinting in your posts or main target or whatnot (in case you die). What do you folks think?
TolyK refers to the scum's possible choice of not killing anyone as being "really clever" and "fun."  That choice of words is kind of suspicious.  It sounds like he's thinking with a scum mindset.

Everyone else:  Who do you think is the most scummy person right now?
ATH is still setting off alarm bells, NJW had a WIFOM-strike against him, Roo is dead, 4masked is missing...

Request prod on 4masked.

... Megggas has posted good content (both summaries and own content), hector is... eh, no real read that I can remember.

PPE:
Why is finding the jailor so important?
if the jailor roleblocked the mafia n1 then if we know who tge jailor is we can lynch the scum they blocked last night.
Yeah... no. Giving out who the jailer is practically leaves scum with 1 kill per day, meaning (if you're the real cop) that you only get one more investigation (this night) before dying. Then the odds are pretty bad, given random lynches (i.e. if scumhunting fails to catch scum specifically - chances-based model yadda yadda).
If you're scum, you'd of course want to get the town roles to reveal themselves.
You've consistently shown to advising strategies that benefit the scum team. This is why you are still (now?) my #1 pick.
TolyK posted his reads and his top scum pick was ATH.  So, if he thought ATH was scum, then he wouldn't believe anything he said as cop, right?  Yet, if you look back at that list of people that he listed reads on, there's someone missing.  Tomasque, the person that ATH supposedly cleared.  The fact that Tomasque was excluded from this list is suspicious.  It's as if TolyK no longer considered Tomasque as a candidate for being scum since ATH cleared him, but this doesn't make any sense if TolyK didn't believe that ATH was the cop.

TolyK, why did you not include Tomasque in your reads?
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

Extend I guess as people want it, so w need more info, also Hec doesn't seem to have finished his writeup on me, I think we should wait for reads. Not posting now as no time - school.
One wheel short of a wagon

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

You can still respond to the first bit, as can others, should they so desire. May not get round to the rest of it for a bit.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

Fillipk, can you change the title of the thread to say (8/9) since roo died?

also, extend I can probably do with rereading everything.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile

Sure, also

Shakerag has replaced Tomasque and the day has been extended, the day is now over on November 11 1:30 pm pst there is one more extension available
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile

Woop woop. 

Technically I am just a player in this game, but seeing as how I've ICed in a number of previous beginner's games, I may very well dispense nuggets of information as we go anyway. 

[This is my IC voice.  Anything I say in square brackets can be taken as completely honest even to the detriment of myself.  It is my hope that I won't need to use it as there are supposed to be two ICs in the game already, but I'll step in if I think they're dropping the ball, so to speak.  I am also constantly PFP, but I try to ensure that I get at least one substantially-sized post in per RL day.]

So, yeah, give me a few to read over the game and compile some reads.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, also:

[insidejoke]
Hey Jack, how is the scumteam doing this game?
[/insidejoke]

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile

Hey Jack, how is the scumteam doing this game?
Something something Cher.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

D2 Post Analysis on NJW

Spoiler: Pressure ATH (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On The Defensive (click to show/hide)

In conclusion, I think NJW has been active lurking from the start of the game. He's jumped in and out of things, asking some questions here and there but not really actually pressured anyone until D2, when he started tunneling me.

His arguments against me seem to have started from the conclusion that "Hector must be scum" and he has then went back through the game to cherry-pick the quotes that most fit the accusations he is using, namely that I'm scumhunting the wrong people.

When I challenged his evidence, he talked past what I was saying and merely repeated the assertion that I was scum with his accusations, completely ignoring my defense.

He then went back to active lurking, only really engaging people like ATH and TDS when they voted for him, before the slight change in his argument changing it from "scumhunting only the suspicious or inactive" to "not scumhunting certain players." This requires no evidence to prove because it's a negative conclusion: it can't be proven, one way or the other. This gets into the stupid territory of him being able to say "You have no evidence that you scumhunted these people, therefore the conclusion that I draw from this lack-of-evidence must be true!"

He has no interest in scumhunting other players. I asked him who he would be scumhunting after me, and he responded in his twentieth post20 he admitted to having no real reads on other players. Since then he has repeated his accusations against me, and not gone after anyone else.

This is why I think he's scum.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well... I'll pick holes in that when I get time, which may be tonight.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Take your time, day is extended.

Like I said before, mostly for other people.

Also I forgot to say that this is a bit silly, and could potentially win the game for the scum.

If we lynch you and you flip town, I'll be under a great deal of pressure D3 seeing as how I'm now pushing your lynch rather hard. Scum will be able to use that to their advantage.

Same if I get lynched, and flip town. You'll be under pressure D3.

If you are town, we need you to prove it. Scumhunt someone else to find scum. There are two of them, so even if you're utterly convinced I'm scum, don't just sit back and be all "oh yeah, found scum, awesome" because there's another one out there. Find them.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EBWOP

Obviously defend yourself if you feel the need to first :))

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure, I'll crack on with what I've got now, attack maybe 1/3, but posting more on other is probably a good idea

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I'm going to start by just posting a bit of post/vote analysis that I'm blatantly stealing from notquitethere.

Town got mislynched D1. That isn't unusual. Let's look back on the last five BMs:

BM L: TheDarkStar and Eyjafjallajökull were scum, TDS was on the D1 mislynch, Eyjafjallajökull was not voting.
BM XLIX: Comrade Shamrock and Worldmaster27 were scum, Comrade Shamrock was on the D1 mislynch, Worldmaster was not voting.
BM XLVIII: Illgeo and yobbo were scum. Yobbo was on the D1 mislynch. Illgeo was voting someone else.
BM XLVII: Tiruin and LARD were scum. LARD was on the D1 mislynch, Tiruin was not voting.
BM XLVI: MastahCheese and MyOwnWorstEnemy were scum. No one was lynched on D1(!), but MastahCheese and MOWE were on different targets. D2 mislynch, Mastahcheese voted for someone who didn't end up getting lynched (but might have done if there weren't a last minute swing to Pufferfish) and MOWE didn't vote at all.

Do you see the patterns here? That's right: for whatever reason, scum almost never persue the same target as one another; there's almost always a scum player on the D1 mislynch; often a scum player won't vote at all.
Roo has been lynched, he was a vanilla Townie

Votecount:
*Tomasque - (0)
*NJW2000 - Tolyk (1)
*AbstractTraitorHero - (0)
*Megggas - Tomasque (1)
*Roo - TheDarkStar Hector13 AbstractTraitorHero (3)
*Hector13 - (0)
*Tolyk - (0)
*4maskedwolf - (0)
*TheDarkStar - (0)
No Lynch - (0)

Not voting: NJW2000, Megggas, 4maskedwolf, Roo
Statistically speaking, there is a decently good chance that the scumteam is one of {TheDarkStar, Hector13, AbstractTraitorHero} and one of {NJW2000, Megggas, 4maskedwolf}.  Roo is obviously not scum.

Also notquitethere is fond of voting analysis.  He posits that scum often has fewer targets they go after.  Town tends to target a wider variety of players with votes.

So, looking at the numbers:
{player} {# of non-RVS voted targets D1} {# of non-RVS voted targets total}
Tomasque (Shakerag) - 1 - 1  (of note that Tomasque replaced out and I just got in)
NJW2000 - 1 - 1
AbstractTraitorHero - 3 - 3
Megggas - 1 - 2
Hector13 - 1 - 4
Tolyk - 1 - 2
4maskedwolf (OSG) - 0 - 1 (4masked replaced out)
TheDarkStar - 1 - 2

So analyzing this:
Tomasque/Shakerag - Doesn't appear very town-like, but this player slot has had some inactivity.
NJW2000 - Has only had one (valid) voting target the whole game so far. 
ATH - Most variety of targets D1.  I'm inclined to lean town toward him, despite all that happened D1.
Megggas - Pretty much right in the median.
Hector13 - In the median D1, but has ramped up the # of targets D2.  Possibly town, but seems on-the-ball enough to be clever scum.
Tolyk - In the median, but should possibly be experienced enough to be doing a bit better.  But Tolyk is flaky, so could all just be a null tell.
4maskedwolf/OSG - Doesn't appear very town-like, but 4masked replaced out and has been rather inactive as of late across games.  Possibly null, but might be slightly leaning scum.
TDS - In the median.  Also has a bit more experience, so could be hanging back.  Null to slightly scummy.

NJW2000:  Why did you stop voting for Hector13 late-ish in D1 only to re-vote him D2?

Megggas:  Why did you end D1 without having a vote on anyone?

Still re-reading; more to come.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shakerag Answering question above quickly in h/w: didn't I RVS him, then take the pressure off just in case because it was a random vote and I didn't want to RVS lynch someone? Then I actually saw this case against him, and voted him when I was a bit clearer in my head and felt my case against him was definitely strong and valid?

My second vote is because I think he's dangerous scum, and am begginning to think, as ATH mentioned briefly, that a scum playing as he does, in his position, would be very dangerous.
The first vote was... well, because he was there. It was less than five posts in.

Hope this is clear, back to h/w now.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 45