Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Stars Without Number - Dwarf Stars (Roll20)  (Read 4844 times)

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stars Without Number - Dwarf Stars (Roll20)
« on: October 07, 2015, 02:17:43 pm »

Hello fellow forumites, I am interested in hosting a Stars without number (SWN) campaign, and was thinking of seeing if there's enough interest among us bay12ers. New Roleplayers, New Roll20ers, New SWNers welcome!

What it is:
A Sandbox Tabletop RPG, not unlike D&D (a early edition perhaps), based heavily on Traveller but simplified to be a bit less demanding on its players/gm mechanics-wise. It's crazy future tech mixed with random primitive tech, with psionics, AI's and the odd alien thrown in. It also has massive amounts of random generation tables to  help generate a entire sector full of interesting planets/factions/adventures. It basically stars several characters as they run around from planet to planet (and asteroid to asteroid) doing missions/jobs/adventures either with their own spaceship or not. It also features a faction system allowing for npc factions to do stuff even when players aren't around, conquer planets, complete secret mission and other stuff... some of which players may stumble upon, some of which they may hear in the news, and some of which they will never know... of course players can also join/lead/create these factions too (although usually its expected for the player to be a fairly high level to lead/create one)

It's FREE:
Well more percisely there is a free edition of the core-book, that happens to be the same as the normal corebook minus some stuff on mechs/ais (but hey, you as a player likely don't need that part desperately anyway), click the link for the slightly more professional blurb about the game.

Official SWN Backstory:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Spacemaster:
I've only run one SWN campaign(in roll20) that ran 8 sessions before, and am currently a player in someone else's campaign. Other then that i've run a bit of paranoiaXP and played a bit of it and D&D and some custom stuff. I'm not terribly experienced at running games, but i'm fairly familiar with the rules, and universe. (And yes, i have seen swansong) and read/watched tons of sci-fi so i have lots of stuff i can draw from on the fly.

Desired Players:
4-6 dedicated players, if people don't show up without telling me, expect to be dropped quickly. I don't mind emergencies/life intruding but if you don't expect to be able to make it weekly more often then not, it  ruins it for everyone.

Possible Times:
Expected Session time is 4 hours long. At the moment i'm more or less free to start a session between 2pm-4pm GMT any day but SUN/WED. Thats 10am-Noon my time (EST) to start a session, and i prefer Mon/Tue/Thur, but Fri/Sat are options. Would run Weekly, assuming enough people showed up. As to which time/date in particular is up to who can play when. I can start hosting almost immediately though, as i have tons of GM-prep work done.

Requirements/Things will be using:
1.) Roll20, which basically means a html5 capable computer/browser... hopefully not a toaster so it doesn't lag too bad for you.
2.) A Microphone/Speakers. While i understand some people are shy, don't have one, or just hate words voiced aloud, personally i find the pacing/enjoyment/ease of explanation is way nicer when you can actually talk to people. Plus.. sarcasm/accents translate quite a bit better/funner.
3.) Skype. I'm not 100% dead set on this or anything, but roll20 voicechat is actually worse then skype, and skype adds the abilty to have a seperate OOC chat and PM's in their own tabs... which makes it quite a bit easier on me to keep track of things. Also we can have a skype group and have a out-of-session chats if you have questions or just want to make fun of each other.
4.) That free Corebook. Other official supplements are cool too, i may draw from them at times, and certainly equipment/stuff in them will 'be around' in the universe, but you really don't need anything else.

Game Mechanics:

Things you should know before rolling up a character:

Things up in the air:
The exact time/day of week. Also if you have preferences over how 'mature' the world would be, feel free to say so, i don't really have many limits, so if you guys want to rollplay some crazy stuff, then as long as everyone's comfortable with it, by all means. Also, while i lean towards throwing a initial mission and a ship at you to get you going, if you would prefer to just go full sandbox from the get-go, and try and find your own space-wheels/missions right from the start, its a option.
Xp gain: Can be granted every successful adventure/mission/job, or just by completing your own personal goals. I think players only getting xp for completing their own goals (complete the mission, is a valid goal), is a bit more interesting and makes for more... interesting situations, it can be more stressful on players though.

Explored Local Space:

Roll20 link

Game is public on Roll20 now, as dwarf-only applications were closed. You can still contact me/apply to be put on a waiting list if the roll20 game is full.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:36:42 pm by Rift »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Stars Without Number (Roll20) - Dwarf Stars Edition
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 02:38:57 pm »

Right, I'd be up for this. Friday would be best for me, but Thursday works as well.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 03:02:28 pm »

If this was PbP, I'd have been in.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 03:27:18 pm »

I'd have loved to join in on this but unfortunately I do not actually have a microphone nor do I have a working sound card. A shame
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 10:19:21 pm »

Right, I'd be up for this. Friday would be best for me, but Thursday works as well.
:D any preference on xp-gain?

If this was PbP, I'd have been in.
Yea, PbP is interesting, obviously has to be run differently, and i've never done it. While the rp in many of the PbP threads here is really cool, not sure the pacing / looking at the forums and posting every little while appeals to me the same, especially for combat.

I'd have loved to join in on this but unfortunately I do not actually have a microphone nor do I have a working sound card. A shame
:( Yea, that's unfortunate. Sounds are cool. Battle music is cool. Hearing the voice of other human beings is nice.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 01:15:10 am »

Looks fun.  I could do friday.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stars Without Number (Roll20) - Dwarf Stars (Recruiting Players)
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 08:07:41 am »

8) Neat.
And it is fun. I think this system is pretty fun for GM's, if requiring a bit more prep work then usual. The Interesting universe is one of the cooler parts for players though, so i added the SWN backstory to the OP.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 09:09:16 am »

I'd like XP gain to be at the end of adventures for simplicity's sake. Maybe bonus XP if you pull off something cool that furthers your objectives as well.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 02:10:51 pm »

I was thinking my character background would be a religious dissident from an expansionist, theocratic world.  As a dissenter, my character is actively interested in other cultures and has left her homeworld for a pilgrimage of sorts by covertly living among the infidels.  Is there any world in the starting sector that might fit the bill for my character?  Or could the world just be in the next sector over?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 02:48:15 pm »

There is in fact, a world that fits fairly well. Hordae is controlled by a theocracy based on the Neo-Taoism Faith.  It's ruled by a council of Archbishops of the faith.
There is no current easy way to get to other sectors. (It's ~possible~, just highly dangerous, because there are no current jump charts to other sectors. if YOU want to try and go to another sector, thats fine, it's just really hard.. Some people would pay crazy money for a mapped jump route to a new sector.)

..Neo-Taoism. Cause if you put Neo infront of something, it makes it futurey.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 02:56:49 pm by Rift »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 03:00:55 pm »

I didn't know I was so futuristic :P

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 03:27:28 pm »

There is in fact, a world that fits fairly well. Hordae is controlled by a theocracy based on the Neo-Taoism Faith.

Cool, one non-Neo-Taoistic psychic healer coming up.  Can I invent a few details about the world history and culture?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 10:18:03 pm »

Cool, one non-Neo-Taoistic psychic healer coming up.  Can I invent a few details about the world history and culture?

Yes. I may need to tweak things if they don't jive with other things, and the exact relationships you have with people in your backstory might require culture rolls if they are... 'significant', (to determine if they remember/like/hate you). Also some degree of "your characters view might be biased/skewed/misinformed" may exist if it's necessary or FUN, so you can feel free to invent some cool things without worrying too much

Since your so interested, ill pm you (and harry) a invite to the roll20 group, (and my skype). In the worlds handouts it has some basic stuff like "government-type" and whether the atmosphere is breathable on planets.. and the base tech level. stuff that would be in any self respecting spacer/travelers personal computer anyway.

:-[ I'm a little concerned that we won't be able to get enough in pure dwarves to play, so, if we don't get more players by the end of the weekend i'll add a listing to roll20's public games, rather then give up ;). At the moment, possibly aiming for next friday.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:26:27 pm by Rift »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 10:35:17 pm »

Edit: ninja'd

I dont know how to make a character sheet on Roll20 so I'm just laying information out now to put in the character sheet later.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:58:49 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 12:15:31 am »

Space D&D? Yes, please! Very interested, going to take a look at the rulebook and such instead of blindly submitting a character.
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.
Pages: [1] 2 3