Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Indoor fishing  (Read 811 times)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Indoor fishing
« on: October 07, 2015, 12:20:35 pm »

I embarked at the source of a river, and the river was directly in my way of creating a courtyard for the fort, so I moved the river underground and used the dry riverbed as a moat outside the wall.  The new river channel takes it down 2 z-levels from where it was originally, and it occurred to me that this meant I could use it for safe underground fishing.  I cut a hole over the new channel from within the fort, but my fisherdwarf couldn't catch anything from it.

Catching fish from the above-ground river source tiles is not a problem (except for the part where it makes my fisherdwarf dizzy and exposes her to danger).

Is this a permanent problem?  Should I just build a hut over the river source and forget about the underground channel?

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:24:29 pm »

I did some digging on this topic, and this is the best I've found:

You cannot divert a river for fishing purposes - when a dwarf goes fishing, it looks up whatever map feature is associated with that tile and draws from its population info (so rivers give you river fish and cavern lakes give you cave fish), but if it does not belong to any map feature it assumes it to be a murky pool and gives you stuff like turtles (unless you've fished them to extinction, in which case you get nothing and the tile ceases to show up as "available for fishing").

Be aware that this is from 2012, and things might have changed a bit. I can confirm you can get mussels and turtles from redirected water, but the only way to get fish is you to be lucky enough for them to path to the ungerground spot. Your best bet is probably going to be a hut.

Be sure to extend the walls into the water, though, or you might get some swimming guests you'd rather not play host to.

P.S. After some more digging I found this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147998.0 It is much more up to date and basically says the same thing. Hope this helps!

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 01:32:17 pm »

Drat!  Thank you!

I'm actually not sure anything can path into my map through the river anymore, since it exits through fortifications underground and the fortifications are consistently at 4/7 or 5/7.  However, I have a couple of artifact doors I'm not using.  If I build one in the hallway to the hut, nothing will be able to get through it once I forbid it, correct?

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:40:27 pm »

Yup, an artifact door should be impervious to building destroyers just like an artifact floodgate or hatch.

I know there are some artifacts a buildingdestroyer can deconstruct given enough time(like statues), but I don't think doors are included in that list.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 06:09:07 pm »

Thank you very much for your help!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 04:25:22 am »

I'm actually not sure anything can path into my map through the river anymore, since it exits through fortifications underground and the fortifications are consistently at 4/7 or 5/7.
FIY see 0003327: Creatures can pathfind, move and get flow-pushed through submerged fortifications
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 09:05:16 am »

I'm actually not sure anything can path into my map through the river anymore, since it exits through fortifications underground and the fortifications are consistently at 4/7 or 5/7.
FIY see 0003327: Creatures can pathfind, move and get flow-pushed through submerged fortifications

Yeah, that's why I noted that the water is not 7/7, and that the flow is outward-bound.