Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dismantling scaffoldiing  (Read 446 times)

Mike_B20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dismantling scaffoldiing
« on: October 06, 2015, 03:57:53 pm »

I built an archers tower and constructed a scaffolding(b C) of a single tile stairway so I'd have access to construct the roof.
When I'd finished constructing the roof, I selected the top layer of the temporary stairway and designated(d n) it for removal.
I then saw a message that "Something has collapsed on the surface" and checking the 1st floor of the stairway was the corpse and belongings of my Carpenter.

It seems the top floor of scaffolding collapsed on top of my dwarf.
Checking wiki and various forums, it was correct to remove the top layer of scaffolding first.
So, what did I do wrong?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dismantling scaffoldiing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 04:06:29 pm »

Agree. It should work. Nevertheless the same thing happened to me a few hours ago (well, not me, one of my dorfs...). I save scummed and repeated to try to understand what happened, and sure enough, it happened again, although the dorf didn't get hurt. The rest of the structure was dismantled without incident thereafter...

Mike_B20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dismantling scaffoldiing
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 04:27:03 pm »

I think I've figured it out.
When I built the top layer of scaffolding I constructed an up/down stairway, thinking it wouldn't hurt and I may want to build another level on the archer tower later.
Then, later when deconstructing at that level, the "up" stair at that level collapsed on the dwarf...or, I just accidentally deconstructed at the wrong level.

I've figured a safer way to do it.
It can be hard to figure out the level when using the "K" key, so now I just click on the tile using the mouse.
Click on the scaffold tile at a level higher than the highest level and keep going down until the "open space" message is replaced by "up/down" stairway, or "down" stairway, and deconstruct at that level. Rinse and repeat until ground level.