Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metal...  (Read 555 times)

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Metal...
« on: September 01, 2007, 05:41:00 am »

Hello, people!

I began again to play DF. Two sleepless nights... Hell, I cannot even see what I am typing...

Ok , I need some advice about metal. I got my magma forges up and running, few iron, fewer gold, a great deal of tin, bronze and brass ores. So , I will need to use the steel for the bridge over magma, bronze for armor and shield, gold for coins and brass for bins and  barrels, right?
I think I could use green glass (cheap!) for making good quality furniture since metals are in short supply. Perhaps I can use all my  brass for bins and barrels, since I already cut down nearly all trees. I made a couple of gold flasks and I bought out a big human caravan with that!

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
Re: Metal...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 06:08:00 am »

Use steel for weapons and armor.
It doesn't really matter what you use for the rest of the stuff.
Except the bridge of course.

Oh, and coins from any none-currency metal aren't worth anything, they are commemorative coins  :) (see http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Coins)

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 06:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Goatse:
<STRONG>Hello, people!

I began again to play DF. Two sleepless nights... Hell, I cannot even see what I am typing...

Ok , I need some advice about metal. I got my magma forges up and running, few iron, fewer gold, a great deal of tin, bronze and brass ores. So , I will need to use the steel for the bridge over magma, bronze for armor and shield, gold for coins and brass for bins and  barrels, right?
I think I could use green glass (cheap!) for making good quality furniture since metals are in short supply. Perhaps I can use all my  brass for bins and barrels, since I already cut down nearly all trees. I made a couple of gold flasks and I bought out a big human caravan with that!</STRONG>

There's so many different ways you can actually go by doing things.
I typically use iron for anything that I need a lot of, like in the case of training metalworkers, or if wood is in short supply. Iron is infinite as long as you have goblin sieges.

But yeah, if you wanted to, you could make platinum bins and barrels and stuff.

And if you are handling goblin sieges well, I don't actually recommend smelting hematite into iron bars. Leave it for steelmaking, so you can make a lot more steel items like weaponry and armor, or more workshops.

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 06:18:00 am »

I put some bronze giant axe blades traps in a "kill zone" corridor with a 4 deep layer of stonefall traps. Goblins do not even reach the second layer. So, I will have to order "melt metal object" on the magma forge to smelt all these small iron chain mail?

Plus, I am so bored with all those soiled small loincloth cluttering my stockpiles! Should I chasm them? I sell them to the caravan, but I fear that lowering my "exported wealth" stat will cause some problems. Any idea?

P.S. Thanks, but I already read all the Wiki. My coins are all gold and copper, since I could not find platinum or silver even while digging fours screens up and down...

[ September 01, 2007: Message edited by: Captain Goatse ]

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>I put some bronze giant axe blades traps in a "kill zone" corridor with a 4 deep layer of stonefall traps. Goblins do not even reach the second layer. So, I will have to order "melt metal object" on the magma forge to smelt all these small iron chain mail? </STRONG>

Yes. But first, you need to be able to see the stocks screen, so you can set which items get melted down.

quote:
<STRONG>
Plus, I am so bored with all those soiled small loincloth cluttering my stockpiles! Should I chasm them? I sell them to the caravan, but I fear that lowering my "exported wealth" stat will cause some problems. Any idea? </STRONG>

Exported wealth doesn't seem to matter all that much. I just load up the caravans with as much of the goblin stuff as they can carry.
I think it does influence immigration, but I think it's a permenantly increasing value. I don't think filling up a caravan entirely with goblin clothes lowers it, only makes it stagnate. I'm not sure though.