Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Beyond Sol OOC Thread (Thinking of Reviving. See latest post)  (Read 21291 times)

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond Sol (A Science Fiction Forum Game) (9/20)
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2015, 07:23:54 pm »

First Officer: (Same deal, though RPL's story about capturing Dr Forge sounded nice for it. He or somebody like him should be First Mate?).

Appreciate the vote of confidence Tru, but the character concept just doesn't fit that position. Jake is focused on capturing Dr Forge with melee, (mostly swords, knives, stun batons and takedowns), stealth, mobility, and recon). He's hunting this S.O.B fugitive and specialized for it.

Jake = Hard to kill survivalist. Bring 'em back alive fugitive hunter.

First Officer sounds like bridge crew, right? I'd love the extra skill points, but I'd have to spend them on bridge stuff and backing up the captain. Doesn't fit the whole "Will Riker" thing, does it? Hell, I'd be both characters, but you can't mix those two backgrounds, because they're just too different concepts and even with 10 more skill points, I'd need ship skills like piloting, nav, sensors, etc. No dice?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2015, 08:12:15 pm »

Hey, that's respectable man. I guess the real question is what are the Captain and First Officer's roles and what skills work best for those?

Research system looks like it could be interesting, and something I'm sure I'll end up using extensively one way or the other.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2015, 10:04:48 pm »

Quote from: Truean

The Captain and First Officer are both commanders of the ship, First Officer having control when the Captain is sleeping/writing up reports/when ordered to/etc.  Their knowledge falls under the tactical portions of the skill system, having investment of knowledge in the different weapon types of the ship and ground forces, ship-to-ship combat, starfighter combat, and the such so they could give proper orders.  Their orders don't neccessarily have to be followed, but it would be recommended, due to both chain of command reasons and they also gain a pm giving them variable quality insight into the situation (ex. future enemy movement, whether their shields will go down (enemy stats are normally hidden), etc).  The ground force commander would also get this in regards to ground engagements, but it is of a bit lower quality than the First Officer, who themselves has a bit weaker than the Captain.  Others can also get these insight moments, but those three get them regularly.

Should note in regards to your current projects, you can have them start out at being underway if you character had been in the process of researching those.  Just keep them having the points remaining be over 70.

In other news, Tomasque has apparently decided to revoke his status of having a position reserved, which I had found out when I had asked about the progress of his character and which position he was making it for.

On another note, current distribution of people is 5 from Venus and its colonies, 4 from Mars and its colonies, and 2 from the Moon.  Will be curious as to how this winds up shaping up in the future.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond Sol (A Science Fiction Forum Game) (11/20)
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 10:28:49 pm »

I'll take Pilot.

Shipboard position: Starship Pilot

Name: Ilse Jaeger

Birthplanet: Luna

Appearance: Ilse has the typical grey exosceleton found on Lunarians, as well as long black hair kept in a permanent loose ponytail. She's thin and willowy, and stands at about 5'3". She has icy blue eyes that always twinkle like she's just heard the worlds funniest joke. Her uniform is constantly wrinkled and disheveled, even if she literally just put it on.

Background: Before she even learned how to walk, Ilse was learning how to fly. Having a freighter pilot as a father played no small part in this. She entered the flight academy at 13 years old, and quickly rose to the top of her class. The only reason she didn't graduate at 17 were constant complaints from her teachers about "attitude problems."

Shipboard skills:
Piloting: Large Ships- 5
Atmospheric flight- 5
Combat:
Ship-to-Ship Combat- 5
Navigation:
Sub-space Navigation- 5
Normal Navigation- 5
Other:
Comms- 3
Scanners- 2
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:48:23 pm by Fr0stByt3 »
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 10:51:12 pm »

Cool. Let's just make it really easy and say they have ... 15 out of 100 research points so far? I don't know; I don't want to push it or anything. I may think up some other ones along that line for starting projects if it's cool. Just some pretty harmless genetically engineered bacteria or whatever:

"Fights infection."

"Helps cure indigestion"

"Helps you fall asleep regularly"

"Relieves cold and flu"

"Cures Swelling and Itch."

Stuff like that.

Honestly, it's all just for flavor at this point so I'm not just standing around going "Derp, I'm a doctor. Isn't my stethoscope shiny?" Besides, do you really want a crew with tummy aches?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2015, 10:58:06 pm »

Awesome Zan.

I approve. Even though that amounts to nothing, I still do. :)

Admittedly stupid and unimportant question, do we ever level up or anything? I imagine I'm going to be melee thwacking a few things with a stun baton and slicing them with various sharp objects like swords and knives.

Also, nice to see a sniper under my command/on my team. Where are my soldiers at?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:00:06 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2015, 11:07:24 pm »

Do I need to change anything about my sheet, Zan?
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2015, 11:20:45 pm »

Cool. I gotta say, I think it's kinda funny we can't find a captain for this spaceship.

If nobody else wants it and it's stalling the game then maybe I'll do it or something. I'm not sure what would happen with Foxy, but yeah. No clue. I'm just throwing things out there.

Seriously though, nobody wants to be a spaceship captain? :P
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:23:22 pm by femmelf »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2015, 11:24:32 pm »

Quote from: Truean

May want to go a bit more exotic, like you did with your first project.  Those seem as if they would have been gone over already.

Admittedly stupid and unimportant question, do we ever level up or anything? I imagine I'm going to be melee thwacking a few things with a stun baton and slicing them with various sharp objects like swords and knives.

Also, nice to see a sniper under my command/on my team. Where are my soldiers at?

After you use a skill enough, it will wind up increasing in rank.

As for your team, right now you could actually have Altem Corvose on it as a medic/scientist on the ground.  Would say Allison or Lionel could join you, but they don't have any ground skills on them.

Do I need to change anything about my sheet, Zan?

I only have a few things that may cause you to want to respec.  The Pilot and Co-Pilot have access to the Ship's sensors and patch through communications, and Normal Space and Subspace navigation are pretty major skills.  One minor thing for the appearance is that those from the Moon do have a gray exoskeleton covering large portions of their skin.

Cool. I gotta say, I think it's kinda funny we can't find a captain for this spaceship.

It's only been a little over a day, but it is humorous that the positions I thought would be one of the first gone is going to be filled up in the latter half of the sheets.

At least we have some pilots for the ship now.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:27:10 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2015, 11:42:56 pm »

Stavus Ice - Prisoner/Engineer
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond Sol (A Science Fiction Forum Game) (13/20)
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2015, 11:57:09 pm »

Looks ok so far to me.

I'll focus on being useful and sleeping near that nice reactor and shield generator hum. The research mechanic looks nice. Is that just for Truean, or for other people too, because we've got engineers. I'm not sure how much if any we can improve the ship and its operations, but if I can boost the shields, then that might be the difference between making it or not. Just sayin.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2015, 12:04:46 am »

Looks ok so far to me.

I'll focus on being useful and sleeping near that nice reactor and shield generator hum. The research mechanic looks nice. Is that just for Truean, or for other people too, because we've got engineers. I'm not sure how much if any we can improve the ship and its operations, but if I can boost the shields, then that might be the difference between making it or not. Just sayin.

Anyone can use it if they can come up with a relevant project.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2015, 12:54:46 am »

Spoiler: Sheet Submittion (click to show/hide)

Right. So. Ground-pounding medic with low medical skills, but hopefully enough.
The piloting, space navigation, and engie stuff are background, mostly. Really kinda sad theres no stuff for EVA suits and the like. I mean, how can you have combat in space without marines boarding ships in EVA suits at some point? [/gripe]
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2015, 06:23:55 am »

Lionel just drives the transport, folks. Ground pounding isn't his thing.
Black lives matter.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond Sol (A Science Fiction Forum Game) (14/20)
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2015, 01:04:02 pm »

Right. So. Ground-pounding medic with low medical skills, but hopefully enough.
The piloting, space navigation, and engie stuff are background, mostly. Really kinda sad theres no stuff for EVA suits and the like. I mean, how can you have combat in space without marines boarding ships in EVA suits at some point? [/gripe]

There actually are environmental suits, as well as a reinforced variant for soldiers, to be used, listed in the 'Other Information' part of the Ship Information spoiler.  I just didn't put in a skill for their use, as I didn't see the sense in it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12