Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: doing alright  (Read 1155 times)

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
doing alright
« on: January 20, 2008, 10:20:00 am »

I'm just wondering, since I'm really new at this game if I'm doing alright, I am in a heavily forested sandy region with a brook running straight through the center, with limestone primarily below ground. I have near 60 dwarfs a mayor a royal guard captain and a standing army of 14 steel clads almost fully equipped now and it is autumn of my 2nd year. I have also channeled a moat all the way around my fort (bar the part that crosses my brook dunno how to make that uncrossable) only 1 child has died and that was from when it was in a strange mood claimed a craftdwarfs shop for 2 seasons hit melancholy and died of thirst. if anyone could advise me on how to improve on what i currently have or tell me how to completely encircle my fort bar the bridge it would be greatly appreciated. (I'm only -3 Z levels down at the moment cause i hit 2 huge pockets of magnetite with native platinum as well)oh and i do not have magma.

EDIT: Spelling

[ January 20, 2008: Message edited by: gerkinzola ]

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: doing alright
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 10:21:00 am »

im going to bed now so ill check this thread again in 8-9 hours thanks in advance for any help.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:43:00 am »

Sounds like you're doing well.  You could add a wall to the moat so that topside dwarves don't get scared by invaders.  Don't forget the occasional fortification so that marksdwarfs and siege units can take pot shots at invaders.

If you've seen any coal/lignite, you could dig exploratory shafts a couple levels down to try to track some more down.  If you find enough of that, you can get by without magma.

Other than that, just export a lot of trade goods and get ready for more dwarves.  You're doing it right- just keep going.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »

You're doing better millitary-wise than I ever have. Keep it up!

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 07:19:00 pm »

do I really need coal? I've encircled a huge area just for wood, and im in a heavily forested area with 4 wood-cutters and 2 wood burners and 2 carpenters, i dont seem to run out of wood.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 09:55:00 pm »

If you can get by just on wood, thats great.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 10:44:00 pm »

You can channel the brook and make it unpassible
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 04:13:00 am »

Well, your standing army would probably soundly thrash mine, and I've been going 5 or 6 years at least, and have twice the population.  I'm slow like that, and like that DF gives me the option to be.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »

thanks for all input, a shame i really liked that fort, at the end of the third year gobbo's attacked, i survived, but to do so had to flood my first floor (no dang traps) and my dwarves (whats left) were stuck underground with no picks
=( no ive started another with barely any trees although a ridiculous amount of iron ore, coal, and admantium (barely any trees but an open magma vent close by) including a brook all in a 3x3 area.

EDIT: oh and i have chalk

[ January 21, 2008: Message edited by: gerkinzola ]

OoiTY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 08:24:00 am »

Personally, I'd try to find coal or if you're lucky enough, a magma vent. Trees are great and all, but if you're running any medium to large-scale metalsmithing operation for a few years, you'll burn through them pretty quickly.

TheNoseKnows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 02:34:00 pm »

Won't the elves attack a fortress that cuts down too many trees?
I>Anyone who knows you knows you''re nosey!
Anyone who knows you knows you''re nosier!

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 08:51:00 pm »

Elves only attack if you agree to limit your cutting and break that promise. If you never agree to a limit, they will not attack you.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »

Let's start breaking promises! Wait...elven blood is too sweet for Armok. Nevermind.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 09:09:00 pm »

I like use the water from my Noble Drowning Chambers to fill my moats. A ring of water around your fort running red with the blood of your executed leaders is an excellent elf deterrent. Well, maybe not, but it looks cool, especially if you smite your Mayor with a spike trap while he's drowning so he actually bleeds.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 11:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>Let's start breaking promises! Wait...elven blood is too sweet for Armok. Nevermind.</STRONG>

Not at all, I have a very sweet tooth.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...