Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chasm + Magma = ?  (Read 1219 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chasm + Magma = ?
« on: March 29, 2008, 01:38:00 am »

If we flood a chasm with enough magma, does it still turn red?  We no longer have chasm civs to kill off this way, but do we still get the lovely sight of a glowing chasm?

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chasm + Magma = ?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

While I can't say with any degree of certainty, as I haven't tried it, I strongly doubt it. More likely, Magma + Chasm = Wasted Magma.

I do have a map right now that I could back up and test dumping magma into a tubular chasm. Trying it right now. Wow, magma is slow... it would probably take all day to drain this tube. I might have to let it run in the background while I'm doing other things tomorrow.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nesoo:
<STRONG>Wow, magma is slow... it would probably take all day to drain this tube.</STRONG>

Don't magma tubes refill now?

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 06:34:00 pm »

If you just dump the magma into the chasm it won't fill up. However, if you floor off the bottom of the chasm,  you can then fill it with magma. Though, I don't really see any point in it.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

Yes, they do.

I can say with some certainty now that no, they do not red line. At least, not the circular ones. I emptied at the very least the equivalent of 4 Z levels of a magma tube into one. It was actually down 2.5 Z levels when the spiral of doom from my neglected dwarves ended the fortress, but there was also a lot of refilling. I'd estimate that it added one 7/7 tile of magma roughly every second to the top layer, at least when I was watching. I got a movie of part of it if anyone wants me to upload it. It was kind of neat, looked like sparks or fireworks  :) Later on, once I got the top layer drained, I think it was still occasionally adding magma to that level (which obviously immediately plummets to the next level down), plus it appeared to be placing some on the level below as well (though I may have just not seen them on the level above, since they immediately drop), so my 4 Z levels estimate is probably low.

If I were to try again, I'd remember to make extra wide passages from the magma tube to the chasm. As it was, I had several (4 or 5) 2 wide tunnels... then I added a 7 wide tunnel near the end, which probably drained faster than the others combined.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 07:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hague:
<STRONG>If you just dump the magma into the chasm it won't fill up. However, if you floor off the bottom of the chasm,  you can then fill it with magma. Though, I don't really see any point in it.</STRONG>

The OP was wondering if chasms still did what they did in the 2D version. AFAIK, they didn't fill up then either (I only made it to the magma a handful of times back then, and didn't survive long afterwards), but pouring enough magma into them would give them a red line down the center. See a good example of it at Chapter 6 of Boatmurdered (which is a rather entertaining story of the 2D days in and of itself).