Advanced search  

Poll

No
- 9 (37.5%)
Yes
- 15 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 39

Author Topic: European Union thread  (Read 49655 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: European Union thread
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2015, 07:38:51 am »

Why is what Monsanto did in India unforgivable?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2015, 09:32:59 am »

My biology professors weren't so much afraid of the genes getting out in the wild through normal hybridisation, which sterile hybrids do indeed prevent, as much they were of, and warned us about the danger of horizontal gene transfer through bacterial or viral vectors. Bacteria swap genes with other species of bacteria all the time, and our doctors even use virusses nowadays to deliver gene therapy. It is theorized (or maybe even observed, I forgot) that it might even be possible for certain bacteria to acquire genes from multicellular organisms, like plants.

Worse nightmare would be, if a pesticide resistance gene got into a the genepool of microbial soil life. Most plants live in intricate symbiosis networks with ground bacteria and fungi.

If such a bacteria would acquire such pesticide resistance gene, and pass on this protection to other, unwanted plants, either through transferring the gene to the plant directly, or granting it resistance through symbiosis, farmer's would have a very hard time to keep their fields from being overgrown with weed.

Monsanto (and to be fair, many others, it's just that everyone knows Monsanto) cannot guarantuee that this will not happen.

So I have to stick with my earlier statement. As long as we cannot absolutely make sure that there is no way for tailored genes to get out into the wild, GM crops should be strictly quarantained, and any field that is out in the open destroyed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_gene_transfer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacterial_conjugation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vectors_in_gene_therapy
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:36:59 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2015, 09:38:39 am »

That is much more interesting then most of the stuff I've read, worthy of due consideration.

farmer's would have a very hard time to keep their fields from being overgrown with weed.

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2015, 09:44:06 am »

Monsanto (and to be fair, many others, it's just that everyone knows Monsanto) cannot guarantuee that this will not happen.
... reality guarantees that guarantee cannot happen. It doesn't take GM products to have that sort of mutation occur. Makes it more likely and/or more rapid, I guess? But it's not like existent less!GM crops are some kind of weird indefinitely static... thing. They also change, the bacteria involve change, etc., etc., etc. Your profs appear to be complaining about a process that already exists and that GM is not introducing, which makes it kinda' weird to be focusing their tirade against GM.

... beyond that, again, there's a lot more to GM than the pesticide related stuff. If folks are really going to get in a panic about that, just legislate specifically against that and leave all the other good stuff be instead of just blanket condemning the lot of it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2015, 09:56:58 am »

Horizontal gene transfer between two eukaryotes is very, very, very rare though. Herbicide resistance is an issue, as showcased by the hundreds of weeds who are now glyphosphate resistant, but those weeds didn't get their glyphosphate resistance from the genes introduced in Roundup Ready crops, they evolved it independently under the selection pressure from massive application of glyphosphate.

Sure, in a way you could argue that it's related to GMOs, because without RoundUp Ready crops, glyphosphate would never have been that popular. But it's more an issue of learning to ration pesticide the same way we are (kinda) learning to ration antibiotics that purely about GMO.*

*On a sidenote, it should be noted that the current patent system encourage companies to breed resistance by pushing their product really hard: the time it takes for resistance to become a serious problem is also about the time it takes for a patent to expire.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2015, 10:08:45 am »

... reality guarantees that guarantee cannot happen. It doesn't take GM products to have that sort of mutation occur. Makes it more likely and/or more rapid, I guess? But it's not like existent less!GM crops are some kind of weird indefinitely static... thing. They also change, the bacteria involve change, etc., etc., etc. Your profs appear to be complaining about a process that already exists and that GM is not introducing, which makes it kinda' weird to be focusing their tirade against GM.

The difference between evolution and GM is that the former reacts, and the latter acts.
There is indeed no guarantuee that, in the example case of pesticides, resistant soil bacteria, or resistant weed species will evolve through process of random mutation and natural selection. Our tendency for monoculture (relative to natural biodiversity) and extensive use of (only a select few types of) pesticides probably have increased the probabilty of this happening by increasing selective pressure. Still, evolution is usually a process of 10s of thousands, if not millions of years, and seeing how very short our species has been using pesticides, on a evolutionary timescale, it is not very likely that we would see this happen within our, or our children's lifetimes, at least not on an uncontrollable scale.

However, if geneticists actively tailor genes, specifically deisgned to provide resistance against commonly used pesticides, knowing that there are already existing organisms in nature that can basically copy-paste genes, it is like handing it to said organisms on a gold platter, especially if you proceed to go about distributing your GM product to every niche on the globe were it can economically be grown. If evolution would throw us a similar mutation, it would probably start very local, and be more containable.

... beyond that, again, there's a lot more to GM than the pesticide related stuff. If folks are really going to get in a panic about that, just legislate specifically against that and leave all the other good stuff be instead of just blanket condemning the lot of it.
There probably are some modifications that I would be willing to agree on being harmless. I just feel that that classification should only be made by cynical and pessimistic biologists, who look at everything from a worst case scenario perspective. It should never be decided by economic interest.

Horizontal gene transfer between two eukaryotes is very, very, very rare though.
Knowledge of soil microbial life is only now starting to catch up from being a very undeveloped section of our scientific database of life on our planet.
Who knows, down there it might be less rare than we think.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:27:03 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2015, 10:29:59 am »

glyphosphate
Cannot resist being That Guy: it's glyphosate.

If evolution would throw us a similar mutation, it would probably start very local, and be more containable.
Err, where do you think the Roundup resistance gene, the most famous of those, came from? It wasn't designed from the ground up. It was nicked from a naturally evolved gene of a strain of Agrobacterium tumefaciens (CP4, specifically). A bacterium.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2015, 10:42:02 am »

There probably are some modifications that I would be willing to agree on being harmless. I just feel that that classification should only be made by cynical and pessimistic biologists, who look at everything from a worst case scenario perspective. It should never be decided by economic interest.
You definitely don't want the cynical pessimist biologists, then. They tend to be significantly easier to buy off, heh. Probably would rather have some variation of idealist, instead. Much less likely to have given up on ethical action or be easily swayed by moolah.

... though point of order on the evolution thing, it's not a matter of years, it's a matter of generations. And for species with shorter life cycles (like, say, bacteria, many plants, lots of insects, etc., etc., etc.) you can see pretty drastic changes in a human lifespan.* Gene dispersal in the geographic sense, on the other hand, is entirely variable based on the species in question. Plant and plant related stuff, though, are often really good at spreading around, so it can be very easy for a natural local mutation to become very not local in very short order. There's a reason we have close to unkillable kudzu terrorizing chunks of the US south-east, heh.

*This is pretty much the explicit reason a lot of our evolution research has been done with flies and whatnot, as you're probably aware.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:43:50 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2015, 11:06:55 am »

He~ey.  I know everyone's talking about GM and Monsanto, but since this is now the general EU thread and all...some interesting new news just came out.

Europe's highest court rejects 'Safe Harbor' agreement used by American tech companies: Safe Harbor Now Invalidated
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:08:44 am by Culise »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2015, 11:28:47 am »

... couldn't read that article (site in question is apparently nonfunctional without javascript, and bugger loading a news site with javascript running), but looking at the thing elsewhere, it... looks like there's at least two (seemingly wildly) different safe harbor concepts in regards to the internet? And this seems to primarily concern some legal stuff regarding data transfer across the atlantic (particularly in regards to the state's ongoing fornication of privacy concerns), not... what safe harbor normally means when talking about the internet. Which means if I'm reading this stuff right, I no longer have reason to reflexively throw invectives to the east :P

Also sounds a lot like the courts just delivered a fairly significant amount of economic pain to a lot of european tech reliant companies, from what I could parse, assuming it all sticks and whatnot. Which is kinda' interesting?
Ask not!
Ask!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2015, 11:36:19 am »

Europe's highest court rejects 'Safe Harbor' agreement used by American tech companies: Safe Harbor Now Invalidated

I had turned my ad blocker and tracker blocker off when I clicked on that page.  There were 92 fucking trackers on that page.  WTF BI.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2015, 11:40:21 am »

... it's a business site. It's doing business.
Ask not!
Ask!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2015, 11:56:56 am »

Wow, I'm so used to my script blocker killing that sort of stuff that I didn't even notice all the stuff it was blocking until you mentioned it.  At any rate, here is the Court of Justice press release for the actual judgment.

Basically, the Safe Harbor being invalidated is the protocols for American tech companies to follow EU directives on data privacy.  Essentially, the assertion is that even if the Safe Harbor have adequate provisions for data privacy in and of themselves, they don't include US public authorities (read: NSA), which are "bound to disregard them without limitation," and prevents national supervisory organizations from also requiring additional data privacy measures where they legally are not blocked from do so; as such the Safe Harbor provisions themselves cannot be considered adequate or legal.  As a knock-on effect, this now means that American tech companies now effectively need to deal with each EU nation's provisions individually, rather than one coherent whole.

As for the linked article...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 12:00:59 pm by Culise »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2015, 12:12:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fixed the accidental strike in the quoted text.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2015, 12:25:41 pm »

I thought Safe Harbour was the custom that if you manage to get home after having committed a crime you can't be arrested.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 39