Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burning Death Hidden fun stuff  (Read 750 times)

hothead098

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burning Death Hidden fun stuff
« on: March 28, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

Ok so on a fort with a total of 20 dwarfs... I hit a pit.  Anyone have a good way to keep my dwarfs alive?  

* note that the original fort copy (go go save scuming) the fire deamon came out so fast I didnt have time to wall it in.

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Burning Death Hidden fun stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 07:57:00 pm »

If you walled it off, you are safe. Your biggest worry will probably be that demand-machine king if you mined any adamantine.

If not, you're pretty much dead unless a good portion of those twenty dwarves are elite marksdwarves with high quality equipment.

The general consensus on defending yourself from the pits is crossbows and ballistae, it seems. Of course, crossbows and ballistae are a pretty good answer to just about anything.

(there are a looooooot of threads on this matter, if you bothered to use the search tool.)

[ March 28, 2008: Message edited by: Ubersoldat ]

hothead098

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »

alas I didn't hit  the good stuff 1st and as to the search function... compleatly forgot about it like an idoit

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:56:00 pm »

Uh no. A regular marksdwarf platoon can easily wipe out a group of non-fire-spirit demons. A bunch of champions can fight off anything (unless they're wearing clothes for armour) so long as the anything doesn't have access to crossbows or bows.

If you don't have a good military, just wall it up and perhaps wait until you do, or maybe flood the area with water and magma.

Boethiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 04:35:00 am »

Hehe i ran into a pit unespectedly with my fort of 46 once... before i had time to shit myself 4 or 5 spirits had my fortress dripping red. Didn't even have time to wall it off. The last dwarf that live was holed up in his bedroom injured, couldn't move, while the spirits of fire creeped within tiles of him, unaware of his presence.
quot;AHA!" Kodor cried, and opened the cabinet. Some crumpets fell out. The whole thing was stuffed full of them.

"Crumpets!" shouted the Captain in glee.

Hobo Symbols!

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 05:13:00 am »

They were simply waiting for tentacle demon to arrive