Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raw meat rotting REALLY fast!  (Read 996 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Raw meat rotting REALLY fast!
« on: October 02, 2015, 10:52:10 am »

Okay - my Dwarfs have settled in a nice area with lots of apple and pear trees, and a whole lot of boars.  So they killed one and, even after being told to cook it, it almost became rotten within, what seemed like, only about five real minutes.  Now, it could be I don't have enough pots or barrels (I ordered more made) or maybe my Dwarfs were too busy to cook the raw meat (I only have about 19) or maybe I need a second kitchen (only have one)?

Is there any step I am missing?  The miasma seems to be a real problem in this fort - already moved the kitchen to a room which was dug out and had a roof placed on it (though I have been told this will not work with the new version).  I think I need to move the butcher shop too.   ???
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raw meat rotting REALLY fast!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 11:03:39 am »

Miasma isn't generated in tiles exposed to sunlight even when a roof has been built over it. I think removing ramps will cause the tile to become dark, however, if the roof is there already.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 11:10:23 am »

Five mins real time is a few months dwarf time. Meat needs to be processed right away or like real life it rots quickly. Have butchers tanners an d a kitchen ready to butcher the kill, render its fat and tan the skin for making into leather ready before you begin hunting.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 11:21:48 am »

You have to have a butcher to butcher the corpse before they can cook it. Once the butchered products are in a stockpile (e.g. the skin/hair, intestines, meat, etc.) they won't ever rot.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 11:29:43 am »

You have to have a butcher to butcher the corpse before they can cook it. Once the butchered products are in a stockpile (e.g. the skin/hair, intestines, meat, etc.) they won't ever rot.

Except for fat you need a kitchen and a dwarf with the cooking labour. They will render the fat  into tallow which an be cooke into meals or used to make soap.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 12:11:38 pm »

What I like to do is to setup a refuse stockpile specifically for butcherable animals right next to a butchers shop. If you set autobutcher to ON in the options, dwarves will grab a butcherable corpse within 30 tiles of the butcher shop for butchering when available. This works well on those animal corpses that are not killed by hunters and thus won't be automatically dragged to a butcher shop for processing (not pets though).

For miasma, you can use doors to prevent the miasma from spreading outside of the butchers shop. Another way is to make a diagonal bend from wherever you are storing/ handling the corpses. Miasma can't travel diagonally around corners/ bends.

Would definitely recommend more than one butchers shop and kitchen as well.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 12:18:33 pm »

I pretty much had most of those already built or ready.  I think I just did not have enough Dwarfs free to do the work.   :-\

Thanks folks!  I'll play around with stuff to see what works best.  Even meals seem to be rotting faster than normal.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 01:38:17 pm »

You haven't just upgraded the computer and gets confused by suddenly having DF running at full speed?  :P