Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [OOC][Brainstorming] Arms Race Round 2  (Read 1918 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[OOC][Brainstorming] Arms Race Round 2
« on: October 02, 2015, 06:13:41 am »

Basically wanted another go, using a not-really-original setting.

I'm still fleshing out the exact rules (such as lack of resources or being too complex makes things expensive by how much), but these are how I expect my version of game to run.

- There will be a map design phase before the main game. The island will be subdivided into 18 or 22 spaces, with 2 preset for the capital cities. The other spaces will be designed by players - the first side picks one tile, and puts it anywhere. The other side then picks 2, and they must put one of it on his own side and one on the other side. The tiles consists of a terrain, and may have a resource on it. By alternating it is hoped that the terrain will be fair enough.

- In addition to expense credits from time to time, each nation always have a set amount of expense credits per year, representing doctrine. It has a catch, though- It sticks to one weapon, and must only be changed during production phase. If it is changed it will only be active at the production phase next turn, so it provides a strategic component.

- Espionage/orders/research system will be changed but I'm still mulling over different ideas, from making it like Twilight struggle or something else.

In the meantime, please propose the nations. First two to three gets in.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: [OOC][Brainstorming] Arms Race Round 2
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 06:35:20 am »

Nation Name: The United People's Democratic Republic of Andoveria
Flag: Field of Green and White split diagonally with three stars
Head: First Minister
Favored Terrain: Savannah
Trait: Restless (very good at keeping on the move, hit-and-run tactics being a specialty, anything involving staying still for a prolonged period of time is not enjoyable)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 06:38:59 am »

Nation Name: The People's Democratic Government of Arstotzka
Flag: A gold star on a scarlet background
Head: Glorious Leader
Favored Terrain: Cold terrain
Trait: Patient: Arstotzkan soldiers excel at waiting in ambush and carefully shooting from afar, giving them and advantage in long-range engagements.

Glory to Arstotzka

EDIT: As for the actual game, just don't have it end like the original Arms Race. It was the worst ending of a forum game I've ever seen: a deus ex machina that made the last several months of play (which included heaps of fan art and propaganda pieces) absolutely pointless just so the Creator's Pet can make an entirely pointless comeback without any build-up or reason behind it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 06:52:36 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 06:53:05 am »

To be fair to him, he had to either run the game to the end with a foregone conclusion, where the losing side were only delaying the inevitable and when he didn't really have enough time to do it, or fiat a way to end the game early in an interesting way. I think he did ok.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 07:26:05 am »

Except he only ended it when Arstotzka actually won. It wasn't a matter of speeding up the end of the game - the game had already concluded. Rather than retconning every thing we've come to know about the setting like he did, he could've just said "Moskurg fights for a bit more and Arstotzka wins." That was actually included in his ending, even! There was absolutely no reason for the rebels to return.

Now that I think about it, the epilogue was also pretty weak. The civilian sector's section in the epilogue was done well but that's it. For our effects on the world, it was, "Nazi Germany does what it did IRL and invades some countries, except the soldiers use a different gun." That new gun was a god damn assault rifle. We had people orbiting the freaking moon but the other countries only thought of us as an arms dealer! We weren't even told how World War II went!

Sensei is a great author. He's made me laugh out loud on several occasions and his dedication was amazing. He really dropped the ball when it came time to close up shop, though.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 09:44:19 am »

Nation Name: Demorah
Flag: Red flagbwitgba polar bear
Head: Chancellor of the Ministry of Arms
Favored Terrain: Wasteland
Trait: Pollution Resistant: Years of working in the oil fields and factories has given all soldiers and citizens a resistant to pollution and some chemicals.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 11:05:56 am »

There was absolutely no reason for the rebels to return.
The main reason they came back was to let us all use our pet ideas and give both sides away to end on a high note.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 11:54:46 am »

There was absolutely no reason for the rebels to return.
The main reason they came back was to let us all use our pet ideas and give both sides away to end on a high note.
I don't feel its reasonable to talk about some other universe.

(as a personal stance, anything involving Arstotzka and Moskurg will not be considered unless there are very strong reasons to).

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
  • Cutting down the enemies of the emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 01:16:10 pm »

The Grand Duchy of Movernia

Nation Name: The Grand Duchy of Movernia
Flag: A Light Green background with sheaths of yellow grain in the foreground
Head: (Officially) the Grand Duke of Movernia
(Unofficially) The Chancellor of War
Favored Terrain: Hills and woodlands
Trait: Zealous loyalty = The citizens of Movernia are utterly committed to cause believing there Duke is appointed directly by God and that there cause no matter what it may be is the will of God
 (If you want it i can write a history for the Grand Duchy of Movernia I have quite a few good ideas)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 10:14:39 pm »

Bump.

Some updates:

- Costs: there will be no more "expensive", "very expensive" or "NE". Instead it will only be a number describing its rarity.

- Logistics rules will be heavily revamped, due to new map mechanics.

- still mulling on espionage rules.

Finally looking for +1s or new submissions of countries.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:17:13 pm by evilcherry »

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 09:27:11 am »

I love espionage stuff. Can you tell me what you have so far, so I can add some stuff in?

Plz?
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 09:48:35 am »

I love espionage stuff. Can you tell me what you have so far, so I can add some stuff in?

Plz?

The current system is a somehow TS-like system. There is a set deck of cards, Which I'll deal several to each side. Each will give a very specific effect. Some are simple like "troops fight much better in forests". Some are your standard fare espionage stuff, like "steal one small arm design" or "steal one propulsion tech". Some breaks rules, like "extra ore for next turn", "your doctrine change takes effect this turn", or "Blitzkrieg: Armors on plains, wastelands or desert are treated as 2 steps more common". As you see I don't like giving too much room for people to mull upon.

The main problem is how to make this actually fair.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:05:43 am by evilcherry »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 12:05:33 pm »

Re: espionage.  Have a deck per side,  and draw a hand per turn. They pick an action from the hand and the rest are discarded.  Draw a new hand next turn. Should make it so there is something relevant each turn without stacking it too far one way or the other.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 01:19:43 pm »

Re: espionage.  Have a deck per side,  and draw a hand per turn. They pick an action from the hand and the rest are discarded.  Draw a new hand next turn. Should make it so there is something relevant each turn without stacking it too far one way or the other.
My intention for the deck is
- 1/2 related to actual espionage, sabotage, stealing of plans, defending from spies.
- 1/3 are normal operation bonuses, that is the "safe" options.
- remaining 1/6 are "gamechangers". They are very powerful but very specific in its effect and would incur a great cost (e.g. you have to discard your hand, or randomly discard X cards, or you suffer more control loss when losing until the card is discarded by some means). This provides armchair commanders of the chance of a more direct option made suddenly available.

Card examples:

- Industrial espionage. Espionage action. Select one enemy design. You now have this design. Discard 1 random card.
- Disappearing suitcase. Espionage action. You now have 1 random enemy design.
- Sturmabteilung. Prevent an Espionage action. In addition, if a battle is fought on a tile in the two rows closest to your side of the map (*), you can select X tiles to make all infantry small arms less expensive by 1. Discard 1 random card per tile selected.
- Mountain Warfare. Add 1 to your final battle strength for all mountain tiles.
- Rangers. Select 1 forest, jungle, or swamp tile. Add 1 to your final battle strength for this tile only.
- Cult of the offensive. National modifier. Add 1 to your final battle strength for every tile. However, for every tile you cannot win in, you will lose all of them and suffer 1 more control loss. Discard 1 random card. This card is kept in play until there is another national modifier played or it is removed by another card.
- Trenches. For every tile contested in this turn, if you lose by 1, treat it as a draw. Removes National modifiers for both sides.
- Blitzkrieg! All mobile and armor units are now less expensive by 2 for this turn. Add 1 to your final battle strength if you can deploy mobile or amor units in the tile. Discard your hand.
- You shall not pass! Select 1 tile. Due to successful delay tactics, You will keep your final control point on the tile if you lose the battle.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 02:45:34 pm »

I think that (most) cards should cost resources to use. These would include actual resources (metal, wood, oil), but there would be artifiacial ones as well (espionage, karma). I didn't quite understand how the first arms race's resources worked, and whether tehy'll be the same as here, but if what I'm suggesting sounds confusing, its probably because I misunderstand something.
Money!
Pages: [1] 2