Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Liason: "I don't think you should dig there"  (Read 1835 times)

Shamasu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://world-of-dungeons.net/?link_eb_51408
Re: Liason: "I don't think you should dig there"
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »

My fort is 48 years old. My dwarven liason died in the 2nd or 3rd year in a cave in accident. I never got a new one. I finally used DF companion to raise the old one from the grave. He left unhappy, but hopefully he'll be back with the next caravan.

Norrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »

You better hope he comes back with a caravan, and not a massive army.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 06:49:00 pm »

I'm playing in 38c, and I've certainly gone decades without getting new liaisons.

Dwarves don't care if the liaison is in the way of their work; they'll carry on regardless. I learned this on my first real fortress when the liaison fell into the moat I was digging because he was standing on a square as the miners removed it.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Norrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>Dwarves don't care if the liaison is in the way of their work; they'll carry on regardless. I learned this on my first real fortress when the liaison fell into the moat I was digging because he was standing on a square as the miners removed it.</STRONG>

Oh wow. I can't imagine how hilarious that must've been!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>I'm playing in 38c, and I've certainly gone decades without getting new liaisons.</STRONG>

In another thread, Toady has mentioned that a civilization has one liaison.  For all history.  That's it.  You can go decades, and you can start another fortress, and you will have no liaison.  Presumably where I and others thought we were seeing replacements, we were actually killing the dwarf liaison and talking to the humans or somesuch.

All of this is slated to be fixed in a not-too-distant-future release.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 10:12:00 pm »

I don't know, in the most recent, and past, versions I have seen replacement liaisons before. Of course, they stopped coming when the replacement liaison was turned into a puddle of bodyparts by a ballista arrow.

Noctis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 08:20:00 am »

Oh, the dwarfinity...
I guess people really don't value dwarven lives or public servants anymore. Only once has my Liason found his doom and that only with help of savage beasts. Of course, his position did not see a replacement. What a nuisance that was... Then again, they have only served to distract me from my duties in the past.

- Noctis

Noctis, Freebooter cancels Get a Life: DF sighted on the Cyberwaters.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 09:06:00 am »

Ouch.

If this also aplies to the new version and human liaisons I fear that I this year has been the last year when a human liaison visited my fortress (he was a merchant prince, unluckily shortly after he appeared on the map the goblins decided that it was time for a siege and he got slain by a bunch of goblin archers on his way to my fortress entrance)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

It makes sense that your miner would "accidently" off the liason.  It's a well known fact that liasons are vile, digusting, and filthy even by the standards of blood and vomit covered dwarves.  Why else do you think your leader makes so much effort to avoid meetings with them?  It's because the station of liason is assigned as punishment only to those who commit the most heinous crimes.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 09:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shamasu:
<STRONG>My fort is 48 years old. My dwarven liason died in the 2nd or 3rd year in a cave in accident. I never got a new one. I finally used DF companion to raise the old one from the grave. He left unhappy, but hopefully he'll be back with the next caravan.</STRONG>

"What do you mean I've been dead for the last 45 years?!"

"...but, you're alive now! We brought you back - that's good, right?"

"Gods, what will my wife think? ...what will she look like?! *shudders* And my kids... oh, hell, my stuff!"

*Liaison has left Unhappy*

"Huh, wonder what's got him so upset? I hope the humans have a legendary dining room - that makes everything better!"

Eruonen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 05:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Norrock:
<STRONG>

Oh wow. I can't imagine how hilarious that must've been!</STRONG>

I have it all the time. It's annoying to build a ramp to get him out again.

bluescoots

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »

My leader actually starved to death, apparently on purpose, to avoid meeting with a Liason.

Don't forget: Losing is fun! Especially when you are losing things that are difficult to care about.

Pages: 1 [2]