Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 75

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 115845 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2018 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #645 on: September 10, 2018, 11:10:27 am »

Heh, yeah, that sturdy little blue shed that could. lol.

Was it ever found out what that shed was made of? Probably wood, but still, hell of a viral moment.
Sheddium, the most durable substance known to man.

I'm still amazed that whoever made that shed didn't go national with an ad campaign. They coulda sold their entire stock in seconds.

EDIT: Still remains to be seen if Florence will dethrone Floyd as the deluge champion of NC. Floyd dropped 24.06" in the worst areas, Florence is projected at 20+ to the SE of Raleigh. Currently, I'm looking at 7'-10" here.

DOUBLE EDIT: An additional problem is that -- much like Floyd -- the ground is already pre-saturated. It's been a wet summer, and we've had some heavy rains just in the last couple of days. The ground outside is a mudslog already, and we're not going to have any appreciable sunny time between now and landfall.

TRIPLE EDIT: Florence now up to a Cat 4. She was a Tropical Storm yesterday morning.  :o
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:25:04 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 10, 2018, 11:28:26 am »

Was about to post that it's now a Cat 4 (130mph at last measurement), and yeah, theres plenty of hurricanes that rapidly intensify like that.

How much rainfall you get at your location is going to depend on where it makes landfall, and if it stalls, it's going to have way more time to drop water than Floyd ever did.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:30:51 am by smjjames »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 10, 2018, 11:36:05 am »

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/145000.shtml?key_messages#contents

I think they're trying to imply that it might be life threatening.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 10, 2018, 01:39:41 pm »

Was about to post that it's now a Cat 4 (130mph at last measurement), and yeah, theres plenty of hurricanes that rapidly intensify like that.
In recent history, yes. In not-so-recent history, not as much. The whole "rapid intensification" thing is a relatively new phenomenon, or at least is more potent than it once was.

How much rainfall you get at your location is going to depend on where it makes landfall, and if it stalls, it's going to have way more time to drop water than Floyd ever did.
This is bordering on Maddenism. "Now you see, what you got here...when it rains longer, you get more rain!"  :P

sorry, not trying to be punchy, it's just that I don't have time to dig into the particulars of computer models to see exactly what's behind that 7-10" number I see on a map. I'm pretty sure they're already taking that kind of thing into account in the estimate. I'm all too aware that that's an estimate and the reality could be a lot worse.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 10, 2018, 01:45:50 pm »

Maddenism? Is that like Captain Obvious?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 10, 2018, 01:52:48 pm »

Not where RedKing is, he's inland somewhere closer to the Appalachians. I don't know how far inland hurricanes can pull the storm surge though.

edit: Looked at a map and Raleigh is pretty far inland. I'm gonna go look at the article.

edit2: The article just talks about the coast though, not as far inland as Raleigh.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:02:35 pm by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 10, 2018, 02:23:54 pm »

Not where RedKing is, he's inland somewhere closer to the Appalachians. I don't know how far inland hurricanes can pull the storm surge though.

edit: Looked at a map and Raleigh is pretty far inland. I'm gonna go look at the article.

edit2: The article just talks about the coast though, not as far inland as Raleigh.
I'm at least four hours east of the Appalachians. Only about a 2.5 hour drive from Wilmington. I'm about 45 minutes WNW of Raleigh.

Storm surge won't be a thing this far inland (if it is, the entire East Coast is fucked and I'll hardly be noticed amidst the wreckage that once was the United States), but I'm also 50 yards from a river. A river which, one more than one occasion in the past has gone from its normal pleasant 1'-2' of placid burbling water to a 17' deep, quarter mile-wide raging hell-bitch of a river, knocking on my doorstep and demanding cookies.

That's the part I'm worried about.

Actual quotes from John Madden:
"Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they're bigger than everybody else, and that's what makes them the biggest guys on the field."
"If the quarterback throws the ball in the endzone and the wide receiver catches it, it's a touchdown."
"Here's a guy who can use his arms and legs at the same time."
"Usually the team with the most points wins the game!"
"Here's a guy who when he runs, he moves faster."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 10, 2018, 02:32:50 pm »

"Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they're bigger than everybody else, and that's what makes them the biggest guys on the field."
"If the quarterback throws the ball in the endzone and the wide receiver catches it, it's a touchdown."

Sounds like Captain Obvious with a heavy dose of sarcasm.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 10, 2018, 02:36:06 pm »

Sounds like Captain Obvious with a heavy dose of sarcasm.
That's actually the endearing thing about Madden -- it's not sarcasm. That's just the way his mind works.

EDIT: I try not to get too political in here, but Jesus, Mary and Joseph...here's a quote from Sarah Huckabee Sanders today, when asked about the storms (ncluding Typhoon Mangkhut, currently hitting Guam):
"The White House has been in contact with local authorities in Guam, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Hawaii, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York just since Saturday morning,"

Notice that neither Carolina is mentioned in that statement. And states which are pretty much unaffected are. (West Virginia? dafuq?)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 03:15:26 pm by RedKing »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 10, 2018, 03:30:53 pm »

Well, the states further north still have to keep an eye out, that would explain them. As for the Carolinas, accidential omission? Don't know why WV is in there, possibly because the predicted storm track currently hits WV? Then again, by that criteria, they'd also mention Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Ohio.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 10, 2018, 04:26:14 pm »

Whoa!, it's forecast to become a Cat 5 storm, it was already forecast previously as hitting the Carolinas as a strong Cat 4. It's not a Cat 5 yet, but it's inensifying in that direction.

Whether it'll actually hit as a Cat 5, I don't know.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 10, 2018, 05:19:52 pm »

Hmmm, I dunno why I haven't seen this site on here yet but hey, if you're seeing a neat map on a weather site, odds are it's this data: https://earth.nullschool.net/#2018/09/15/0000Z/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-58.74,29.15,1908/loc=-74.659,33.366

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 10, 2018, 06:39:24 pm »

I might be forced to work outdoors and drive during this. Praise the free market.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 10, 2018, 09:47:05 pm »

I might be forced to work outdoors and drive during this. Praise the free market.
wat

what kind of hellborn slavery have you gotten yourself into?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 10, 2018, 09:52:30 pm »

There was certainly some devil dealing going on. I hurdled over the barrier of the No-Job Millennial and straight into halfway decent pay, maybe even a career path.

At a personal cost such that I'm reconsidering.

They might relent but they aren't going to admit that until the very moment the storm is bearing down. Good old last-minute organizing. Could be worse. Could be working in Wilmington like some other poor sods.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 75