Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 75

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 116164 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2017 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #465 on: September 07, 2017, 08:56:42 pm »

Ah, possibly. Haven't personally looked, just recalled it was state wide thing. Recall could have been fuzzy.

Any case, governor's closed every school and university in the state until at least monday, to serve as sheltering and staging areas. Mandatory evac orders look to be spreading in scope in south florida. Less than three days until predicted landfall, though impact will start before that. Irma's become one of the largest hurricanes on record, apparently.

Currently folks seem to be expecting to weaken a little as it fucks some of the islands into the ground, and then hit a particular part of the intervening waters and rapidly intensify. Potentially beyond its current peaks. Apparently the conditions it's going to be going into are similar to its last spike, which saw it to from cat 2 to 4 in like under 24 hours.

Bits of the local-ish/state level news has started bluntly saying if you're in this thing's way it's probably going to be worse than andrew was for you, if you lived through it. Seem to be trying to hammer into some of the natives that were around for it (sup, though fortunately well outside the harder hit area) that even the jackfuckingest of previous storms will have been less jackfucking than irma's about to jam into us.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 07, 2017, 09:24:27 pm »

You know, in a way it's kind of funny how radically different Irma was in terms of preptime than Harvey. Harvey just sort of said "Hey, I'ma cat 4 now!" and the meteorologists said "oh shit."  But Irma's had this loooong, meandering path here that seems to have left everyone in that region well on edge. It'd be nice (and funny) if it just sort of fizzled out from here.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 07, 2017, 09:50:27 pm »

Lotta' folks would be hella' bloody relieved, sure, though it wouldn't help some of the islands much at this point. Not sure if nice is quite the right word considering it would probably have been than even odds of causing a religious revival.

It'd also probably upend meteorological science as we know it, which would be pretty interesting.
Ask not!
Ask!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 07, 2017, 09:54:16 pm »

I don't want to downplay the danger of Irma, but I do think folks need to be a little calmer. People really panicked here.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 07, 2017, 09:57:43 pm »

Ain't panicked yet, mate, just pretty damned worried about a contender for strongest hurricane to hit florida in beyond living memory. Wait till landfall for more than that.
Ask not!
Ask!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 07, 2017, 10:12:16 pm »

Back from work.  Good news, told that schedules for Friday through Monday are optional.  Store will close if there are not at least 2 employees working. Even if people are there saturday it will be a short day. 

Schedules for Monday Tuesday onward are 'If you can come in, come in'.   So I'm probably gunna take the day tomarrow.  I'd like to leave, but I95 is apperantly a parking lot around here, and my mom is staying either way, and I'm not gonna leave her here alone.   Concrete house, on one of the biggest hills in the city.  Probably safer here than stranded on 95 with no gas.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:14:43 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 07, 2017, 10:32:07 pm »

Yeah... from what I understand if you're dipping out by road you're likely to have better luck going a bit backwoodsy. Stay off the major interstates as much as possible, etc.
Ask not!
Ask!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 07, 2017, 11:47:41 pm »

E2: Also, last hour looks to have seen a consensus reached between pretty much every major model we have. Landfall in Miami in about 65 or so hours. Pretty close to certainly going to be something that puts fucking andrew to shame. Irma is expected to kick the shit out of the impact of most destructive storm to ever slam into this state. Fucking hell.
On an unserious note, I'm not sure whether to be worried or vaguely annoyed that the hurricane with my name isn't the worst one to hit down there now.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 08, 2017, 12:17:45 am »

...this is one of those planets, isn't it? We're just kind of used to it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 08, 2017, 12:23:49 am »

I think 2017 is just ramping up its efforts to prove that it can be so much worse than 2016.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 08, 2017, 12:30:33 am »

I think 2017 is just ramping up its efforts to prove that it can be so much worse than 2016.
Maybe the ocean just wants everyone to remember it was here first, it should get more news than The Orange.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 08, 2017, 12:33:04 am »

In other news, an 8.0 earthquake off the coast of Mexico leaves us with tsunamis coming in shortly. Followed by Katia hitting the opposite end of the same hunk of land.

Wrong side of Mexico, it's on the Pacific side. And dang, mag 8, that's big. And it's not really the opposite chunk of land. The quake is very close to the Guatemala border and Katia is hitting the coast directly opposite that.

Alright, we're getting set to evac tomorrow. Headed to Jackson, MS; everything closer is booked to hell and back. At least this way we're out of the path and out of the traffic.

I thought you were in Arizona? But yeah, stay safe.

Looks like Miami is going to be getting hit by morning.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 12:41:35 am by smjjames »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 08, 2017, 01:24:38 am »

ITT: North America attempts to become the ocean.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 08, 2017, 02:35:44 am »

I more see it as Cuba getting tired of the US pissing on it and then using stormbending to fling a horrible blender that is conveniently flying by at the US's junk.

I mean the thing doesn't turn north til it gets near Cuba after all.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:37:32 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 75