Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 75

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 116163 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2017 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #450 on: September 07, 2017, 01:50:23 pm »

Models are still pretty all over the place, for what it's worth. Another 12-24h, I think, is when it'll be less imprecise. Mind, parts of south florida might also have already been pancaked by that point, but...

I can't imagine any company in the area not allowing their workers one or two hours leave to prepare their homes and belongings for the biggest storm ever measured.
Ah ha ha. Then you don't live in the US, obviously enough. It wouldn't be common, per se, but there's probably still companies dead center in projected impact areas that are trying to squeeze out overtime and insinuating workers won't have a job when they come back if they evacuate or blow off work to try to make it less likely they die.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 07, 2017, 01:53:35 pm »

It wouldn't be common, per se, but there's probably still companies dead center in projected impact areas that are trying to squeeze out overtime and insinuating workers won't have a job when they come back if they evacuate or blow off work to try to make it less likely they die.

"We're not going to schedule you overtime because then we would definitely be on the hook for paying you insurance without you having to argue tooth and nail to get it, but if you don't work overtime then you won't be performing the job duties we neglected to tell you about when we hired you and you may or may not get indefinitely suspended so you'll quit instead of us firing you and you being eligible for unemployment."
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 07, 2017, 01:58:37 pm »

So far, only 1 death has been reported on the Dutch side of St. Maarten, and 23 injured. It's still too early to tell if there's going to be more victims though.
Gusts of wind peaked up to 350 km/h (217 mph), and lifted shipping containers, yachts and cars into the air with ease.
In the marina, boats are stacked on top of each other, and on the roads, wrecked cars are burning.

The French side of the island has adjusted the number of death down from 8 to 4.

Dutch navy and airforce, and French navy and airforce are still busy trying to make the port accessible, and clear a runway. For now, the island is still cut off from aid on a meaningful scale. Time is ticking, with Jose on a collision course.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 07, 2017, 02:07:48 pm »

Huh. Good on delta, I guess. Looks like they've capped one-way fare to or from south florida (and some of the caribbean et al islands) until the 13th, added some seats to a handful of airports, are waiving certain transport fees for particular cities likely to be hit, and may/probably will expand the scope over the next few days. Still fairly pricey for many folks that likely want to get out of dodge right about now (cap's just shy of 400 USD for a one-way), but considering we've been hearing about ticket prices two, three times that... it's something, maybe.

E: And in other news, it appears the governor has issued an evac order for the keys in their entirety.

E2: Also hey, SC's reversing some of the interstate lanes starting day after tomorrow. Should help out, to some degree.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:00:40 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 07, 2017, 05:17:07 pm »

I went to Disney... Now Irma is supposed to roll up the whole Peninsula. Hopefully it should be <CAT4 by the time it gets here.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 07, 2017, 05:19:47 pm »

Reversing some highway lanes for an evac situation is one of those things which makes you angry thinking about how obvious it is in hindsight, huh?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 07, 2017, 05:29:03 pm »

It really is. Just takes pretty massive coordination if it's going to be over enough road to help.
I went to Disney... Now Irma is supposed to roll up the whole Peninsula. Hopefully it should be <CAT4 by the time it gets here.
Last I've seen it's expected to make landfall at cat 5, probably maintain at least cat 4 as it travels up the state -- though it should be noted that irma is fucking huge. Disney's close enough to florida's tip it's going to be hammered shortly after it hits. Also moving plenty fast. It's damned unlikely there's going to be enough time for it to get to cat 3 or below before it passes the top of the state, never mind the area around disney.

If you're saying you're visiting on vacation, I'd heavily suggest you cut that vacation short and get the hell out, like... well, today would be best. Tomorrow would be okay-ish around that area. Saturday or Sunday it might be past the point evac is all that possible. Hopefully it's going to take longer than that, but a disney trip isn't even remotely worth risking it.

E: Though it's also worth noting even cat 3 is a pretty sizeable fuck you to human existence, and generally something you want to avoid being in the main path of. The main path of irma is looking to be "everything in the state except the western quarter-ish of the panhandle". Seriously, damn thing is looking to be one of the worst storms this state has seen, period. If you don't live here and have things keeping you tied to the state, you seriously don't want to still be inside this state's border right now.

E2: Also, last hour looks to have seen a consensus reached between pretty much every major model we have. Landfall in Miami in about 65 or so hours. Pretty close to certainly going to be something that puts fucking andrew to shame. Irma is expected to kick the shit out of the impact of most destructive storm to ever slam into this state. Fucking hell.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:57:22 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 07, 2017, 06:25:13 pm »

Good. Stay safe as y'can, isp.
Ask not!
Ask!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 07, 2017, 06:26:18 pm »

I'm in Disney as an evacuation from Miami lol. I told my parents I was driving to Atlanta, but they're a.) overprotective and b.) a little unintentionally racist so they flipped their lids over that and decided they wanted me to shore up in Disney. Annoying really, I shouldn't have listened to them in the first place.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 07, 2017, 06:30:24 pm »

Pretty sure you've still got time, if you've got the resources to keep going. Probably really damn well should, too. Don't want to be anywhere in the actual peninsula a day or two from now. If your parents really want to protect you they'd want you way the fuck out of florida right now if it meant hitching a ride with a bus filled with workers from a minority ghetto whorehouse.

Visual representation of some of the current danger areas.

E: Just... seriously, folks. As a floridian to floridians, if any of y'all are still here and have the means to get out, fucking leave. No joke, pack up, get the fuck out, leave tonight if possible if you're anywhere not in the north west part of the state. Get over the border, maybe go straight through alabama and chill in arkansas or missouri for a week or two. This damn storm is giving massive fuck off huge signs of being a few dozen hours out from settling in to kick andrew's shit in, and you want to be goddamn nowhere close to that.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 06:49:48 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 07, 2017, 07:11:16 pm »

It's foolish, but I'm most-likely not leaving unless Disney/Orlando/The State tells us to evacuate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 07, 2017, 07:19:05 pm »

Area near it did a day or two ago, at least. Not too far from there. There's apps or somethin' circulating that are trying to track availability in the state.
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 07, 2017, 07:27:16 pm »

Nah, there's stuff specifically for FL now. Buncha' places down south are running out. The traffic map of the state right now is a helluva' thing to see.
Ask not!
Ask!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 07, 2017, 07:28:43 pm »

Miami is empty.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 07, 2017, 08:08:08 pm »

-wrong thread-
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 75