Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 76

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 116414 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2017 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #390 on: September 06, 2017, 10:01:56 am »

Local generators most likely. Also, Redking, I looked at the new NOAA update on Irma and the center track is trending towards the east coast of Florida. Whether it'll actually hit landfall in the Carolinas or stay offshore remains to be seen, but it looks ominous. Also, possible direct hit on Miami....

Edit: Actually, the latest sattelite on CNN shows it well past St. Bart, it's just dark as heck for the camera there.

edit2: Carolina officials are starting to talk about preparations.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:05:27 am by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 06, 2017, 10:05:27 am »

I just went back and looked, and that Flamands cam is down. What I was looking at was the beginning of a four-hour recorded piece before it went out. If you scroll to the end of the feed, you can see basically whiteout conditions before it went offline. So much for promising... :-[

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 06, 2017, 10:15:42 am »

Shoulda realized something was wrong when the sattelite showed Irma was well past the island.

Tracks on CNN showing it staying offshore rather than directly making landfall in Florida, which is good, to an extent. Still possible that it might stay offshore the whole time going "Psych!" at everybody.

There's also a town in the Bahamas called Cockburn Town, heh.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 06, 2017, 10:21:28 am »

Apparently Sir Richard Branson is staying on his private island, which is going to take a direct hit from Irma.

Oh, and Tropical Storm Katia has formed in the southwestern Gulf of Mexico.

Can't find any working webcams for Anguilla or St. Barts, but here's one from St. John, USVI. (with audio!)

EDIT: Two of the locals are chatting by the camera, and one just said "Holy shit!" in reference to the size of the waves coming in. Hard to tell, but look like 20-25 foot swells. Also, conditions have deteriorated rapidly in the last five minutes or so.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:29:36 am by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 06, 2017, 10:32:18 am »

That and NOAA say Katia could become a hurricane before landfall, but it's trapped in the bay due to atmospheric conditions and will just hit Mexico.

That camera is rather deceptive as it doesn't show damage.

I guess Sir Branson is trying to be a badass and appear brave. That or he has confidence in the ability to survive the storm.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 06, 2017, 10:37:20 am »

That and NOAA say Katia could become a hurricane before landfall, but it's trapped in the bay due to atmospheric conditions and will just hit Mexico.

That camera is rather deceptive as it doesn't show damage.

I guess Sir Branson is trying to be a badass and appear brave. That or he has confidence in the ability to survive the storm.
St. John hasn't been hit yet, it's in the path. Should get hit hard in the next hour or so.

And Branson has ridden out previous storms there. Although in Hurricane Irene, his house burned down (luckily they were staying in the guest mansion).

EDIT: Mandatory evacuations issued for Ft. Lauderdale. Florida ain't fucking around with this.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:42:30 am by RedKing »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 06, 2017, 10:41:45 am »

Oh I see, didn't know where it was at.

And WOW, the conditions have deteriorated fast all right. Before, it was calm, now it's raging.

editwhiletyping: Did the camera die already?

edit2: Now the site died.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 06, 2017, 10:42:15 am »

However, those tracks suddenly make people in the Carolinas shit themselves. You're looking at tracks suggesting a Cat 4-5 hitting NC/SC, and a disturbingly high number of tracks that have it going into the NC mountains(?).

Well, forecasts are definitely doing an eastward shift. The Euro and the GFS now have Irma making landfall in the Carolinas.

Hurricane Hugo 2.0, here we come.

I was too young to remember it when it hit, so this should be Fun.  I wonder if we'll get flooding like from Hurricane Matthew.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 06, 2017, 10:44:05 am »

And WOW, the conditions have deteriorated fast all right. Before, it was calm, now it's raging.

Still working for me.

Yeah, I remember Hugo. Charleston got rekt, then it came up through Charlotte and Winston. Whole swathes of forest knocked down on hillsides for miles and miles up into southern Virginia.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 06, 2017, 10:45:39 am »

Camera page is back up, and yeah, wow those swells.

Still working for me.

Yeah, I remember Hugo. Charleston got rekt, then it came up through Charlotte and Winston. Whole swathes of forest knocked down on hillsides for miles and miles up into southern Virginia.

It went 502 error (or something) briefly for me while I was trying to refresh.

The beach there has already been swallowed.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 06, 2017, 10:47:24 am »

Just realized those waves are coming from the *opposite* direction of the wind.  :o

EDIT:
Courtesy of CNN:
France’s Interior Minister Gérard Collomb says the four strongest buildings on Saint Martin have been destroyed by Hurricane Irma. It's very possible that all other old buildings on the territory have been totally or partially destroyed, too, he said.

DOUBLE-EDIT: Wind really picking up on St. John. The camera is beginning to shake.

TRIPLE-EDIT: 11am NHC updates are in, track definitely shifting east (which is probably what prompted the Ft. Lauderdale/Broward County evacs).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:57:00 am by RedKing »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 06, 2017, 10:55:43 am »

I'd ask what he means by 'strongest'. But yeah, if Mother Nature wants to wreck ya, she'll absolutely wreck ya.

As for that camera, the pile of rocks just off the beach is providing a nice height benchmark.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 06, 2017, 10:59:54 am »

Brodude keeps coming out to clean the camera off periodically.

It's just incredible to watch the waves coming up out of the surf, and then just get disintegrated by the wind into a big cloud of spray.

EDIT: According to Surfline.com, those waves are easily 20-30 feet. Heights inside the storm could be over 50 feet.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:03:55 am by RedKing »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 06, 2017, 11:08:32 am »

They're just getting some of the tropical storm part, the eye is actually already well past Antigua, it's currently approaching the British Virgin Islands.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 06, 2017, 11:11:05 am »

Yeah, I know...they should see the worst of it in about 2 hours or so, I think.

Also, found this tidbit on an AP writeup:
Hurricane expert Kerry Emanuel of MIT calculates that Irma holds about 7 trillion watts — about twice the energy of all bombs used in World War II.

EDIT: Looks like I lost the camera on St. John.  :-\

DOUBLE-EDIT: Jeez...according to local news, they're already selling out of generators here in NC.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:36:35 am by RedKing »

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 76