Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 76

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 116450 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2017 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #300 on: August 31, 2017, 10:44:14 am »

Just thought I'd mention how heartwarming the support people are pouring out is. Mexico offered aid, I've seen tons off photos of swarms of people heading down to help and heard a first hand story from my wife's EMT friend.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 31, 2017, 11:33:04 am »

That's just one cluster of models, it's too early to say that it will be round 2 for Texas. The thing did intensify pretty quick, from tropical storm status to Cat 2 hurricane in 6 hours.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:35:35 am by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 31, 2017, 12:40:03 pm »

Well. Hopefully it isn't round 2. Not entirely sure tex would have much of a gulf coast left if they had a round 2 this soon.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 31, 2017, 02:42:00 pm »

Shoo, Irma. Go away. Rain on some fish in the middle of the ocean.
I'm in no mood for Houston-lite here.

EDIT: Son of a bitch....she's already up to a Cat 2 hurricane.

DOUBLE-EDIT: Houston's not out of the shit yet though. There's a potential tropical storm brewing around the Bay of Campeche, which would be named Jose if it attains tropical storm strength.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 02:58:45 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 31, 2017, 03:10:07 pm »

So basically Houston is on its way to becoming part of the Atlantic Ocean.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 31, 2017, 03:54:06 pm »

Apparently Houston's refineries are so important for the petrol supply of the entire US, that when a quarter of the Houston refineries shut down, petrol prices across the nation started skyrocketing so hard the government decided to release 500 thousand barrels of crude from the strategic petroleum reserve (which isn't really that much, but still).

Exxon and Shell report that their storage tanks have been damaged, and harmful substances have leaked into the environment. It is not yet clear to what extent.

Speaking of the strategic petroleum reserve, isn't a large part of that kept underground in Texas (and the rest in Louisiana)? I hope it didn't flood and start leaking too.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 31, 2017, 03:56:13 pm »

I'm almost disappointed that it appears to be turning towards the open ocean.
Almost.

Reads new post: And what was trumps definition of "quickly" when talked about clean up?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 31, 2017, 05:21:40 pm »

Aye mart, the tex refineries are kinda' real damn important. Folks are going to feel it way outside texas, and more than just good odds outside the US, too. Ain't just petrol, either... they're one of the world's largest/heaviest/most productive concentrations of chemical refineries as well. Probably more than one industry that's going to see operating costs jack up for the next few months due to those refineries having to shut down/get repaired/rebuilt/etc.

E: Seriously, I'm pretty sure I wasn't exaggerating when I said (either in here or the ameripol thread) harvey has a chance of kicking off a global recession. Greater houston area isn't just a massive economy, it's one that's focused on fairly critical stuff.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:24:13 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 31, 2017, 05:31:22 pm »

@RK, Oh hey, Southern California may get a bit of rain soon. As for that bit in the Bay of Campeche, I saw on that WeatherUnderground article that if anything forms in there, it'll be a heck of a lot less weak than Harvey ever was. Still, more rain is the last thing SE Texas needs right now.

I'm almost disappointed that it appears to be turning towards the open ocean.
Almost.

Reads new post: And what was trumps definition of "quickly" when talked about clean up?

It's in the open ocean right now, and no indication that it'll do what hurricane Gert did. And I guess Trump's definition of quickly would be as soon as possible.

Aye mart, the tex refineries are kinda' real damn important. Folks are going to feel it way outside texas, and more than just good odds outside the US, too. Ain't just petrol, either... they're one of the world's largest/heaviest/most productive concentrations of chemical refineries as well. Probably more than one industry that's going to see operating costs jack up for the next few months due to those refineries having to shut down/get repaired/rebuilt/etc.

E: Seriously, I'm pretty sure I wasn't exaggerating when I said (either in here or the ameripol thread) harvey has a chance of kicking off a global recession. Greater houston area isn't just a massive economy, it's one that's focused on fairly critical stuff.

I feel like you're overblowing it. We're hearing about a bit of damage here and there, but nothing about refineries being totally wrecked. Then again, damage assessment is just beginning.

Of course though, Hurricane season is throwing several wrenches into Congress's schedule what with wrangling with the debt ceiling.

Also, they're having some real concern for the dams in the area I think.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:34:33 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 31, 2017, 05:32:31 pm »

They don't have to be totally wrecked, heh. Just slow down things long enough knock on effects settle in enough to trigger the recession we're due for soon/are late for. Wouldn't be surprised if the refineries themselves could be outright pristine (and you don't need assessment to know that they ain't, considering some of them are exploding :-\) and the infrastructure damage in other places still manage to put a hurt to their output.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:34:50 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 31, 2017, 05:36:32 pm »

Irma is up to Category 3 now. Went from tropical storm to Cat 3 in under 24 hours.  :o

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 31, 2017, 05:44:52 pm »

Double post, but this is noteworthy:

From the most recent forecast discussion:
Irma continues moving west-northwestward, now at about 10 kt. There has been no change to the forecast philosophy, with the hurricane likely to turn westward and west-southwestward over the next few days due to a building ridge over the central Atlantic.  At long range, however, model guidance is not in good agreement on the strength of the ridge, resulting in some significant north-south differences in the global models.  I am inclined to stay on the southwestern side of the model guidance, given the rather consistent forecasts of the ECMWF and its ensemble.  In addition, the strongest members of the recent ensembles are on the southern side on the consensus, giving some confidence in that approach.
Always to the the NORTH.
https://youtu.be/OeYAaGKOhzI?t=58
The East?  Hogwash.  Pay it no mind.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 31, 2017, 06:42:00 pm »

Irma is up to Category 3 now. Went from tropical storm to Cat 3 in under 24 hours.  :o
That was fast. I'm glad I live in the Midwest, the coasts seem dangerous.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 31, 2017, 06:46:38 pm »

That was fast. I'm glad I live in the Midwest, the coasts seem dangerous.

Unless you live in Tornado Alley.....

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 31, 2017, 06:54:00 pm »

Ahahaha. Shit fuck fuck shit. It'd be real nice if potential record matching/breaking wind speeds would go somewhere else. Antarctica maybe. The moon? Sure. Please irma, sod off on out the atmosphere and go bother the moon.

Like, notes it's probably overselling it, but goddamn, let's not follow up historical flooding with historical wind speed.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 76