Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 75

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 115789 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2018 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #675 on: September 11, 2018, 05:10:19 pm »

One day closer to the end!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 11, 2018, 05:10:35 pm »

I'm in Richmond, the James River basically floods if you dump a cup of water into it. I am far enough away from the river that i'm not to worried, and I've got water and supplies just in case it's worse than expected.

I actually really appreciate these updates, especially waffle house.
The waffle house monitor really is the mosy important.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 11, 2018, 05:35:50 pm »

I don't remember if it's been discussed here, but I heard that Waffle House status is actually pretty telling.  They have special menus for if the power or gas is out, and go to great length to stay open and cook for rescue personnel.

They do close, but it's a defcon 5 kind of indication.

Dangit I snacked on some of the canned beans I got.  Fortunately I got some less appetizing stuff like cream of mushroom and just a can full of jalapenos.
Also a pile of instant potatoes and ramen, so we'll be fine.

My understanding is that we're pretty safe here in the Triangle, but the power's likely to go out and we should stay away from the windows. 
We got a lot of heat lightning last night, and a lot of thunder today, but only moderate rain so far.

Good wishes to everyone in the path...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 11, 2018, 05:49:29 pm »

Instant potatoes? You could just buy potatoes and smash them with a hammer or however you best like them served.

Anyways, stay safe everybody that’s in the path of this.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 11, 2018, 05:49:46 pm »

It’s called the Waffle House Index
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 11, 2018, 07:00:14 pm »

In keeping with this thread's traditions, it looks like Jeff "Blue Shed" Piotrowski is going to ride the storm once again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 11, 2018, 07:05:26 pm »

The only weirdness I'm seeing is after it hits the coast when the wind display splits from the pressure display and the wind display jumps around. Tried going back and forth on the time scale multiple times and still not really seeing any loop.
I think I caught a weird cache timing error that made it loop on my side but not when I reloaded just now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 11, 2018, 07:27:21 pm »

8 PM EST update: Movement speed and windspeed is the same, though it's expected to slow down as it gets close to the coast. The spot for the depression seems to have shifted southwest from previously I think. Doesn't appear like it's going to stall like Harvey did though.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 11, 2018, 07:58:00 pm »

Instant potatoes? You could just buy potatoes and smash them with a hammer or however you best like them served.

Anyways, stay safe everybody that’s in the path of this.
I like them like oats or cereal.  I pretend they're soylent white, mix in water and a free flavor packet to satiate my hunger while doing more important things.  I enjoy cooking for others as a challenge, but cousine is mostly wasted on my senses.

Tomorrow my dad and her are retreating from the beachhouse near Jacksonville, plywood over all the windows.  We're facing gas lines here in the Triangle, but they have a full tank which is plenty to make it here.  We're probably pretty safe here, but he did joke about partaking of our rations.

He's welcome to visit, I do have a crank flashlight to read by, but I hope he's ready for the weird shit I prepared for a worst-case 48-hour power outtage.  TWO double-sized cans of jalapenos, a giant jar of sliced dill pickles, two of the big ramen boxes, the aforementioned potato flakes, and finally cream of mushroom.
Because if I picked *tasty* stuff I knew I'd just eat it ahead of time due to convenience.  All I really need is the carbs to keep me alive (oh right, I have a cylinder of oats from like a year ago).

I also have... three kinds of alcohol, which I haven't touched (a *separate* 40 excepted), but I plan to use to fast forward my way through the entire debacle.  Reading by crank-light.

If these preparations are suitable for his apocalypse, he is more than welcome here, and I have told him so!
He does have a house with an actual basement though so *shrug*
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 11, 2018, 08:18:42 pm »

Basements are generally bad places to wait out flooding  :P

I've got a six-pack of beer and plenty of bourbon, rum and tequila. Cans of baked beans and instant soup, crackers, Gatorade. As long as I have a roof and our jury-rigged sandbag and plywood contraption holds the water at Bay, I'm good. Will continue posting updates as long as I have some kind of network. Once our Internet dies though, I'm probably offline completely -- cell signal is virtually nonexistent down in the valley.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 11, 2018, 08:32:36 pm »

It probably wasn't clear:  He has a home here in the Triangle, which is probably safer than my home in the Triangle.  I also know he tends to keep a well stocked emergency pantry
(including a can of "pork with juices" which is at least 15 years old, maybe much older - his stepdad got it from a disaster relief program, I wish I remembered the details.  I've *seen* it for 15 years)

But if he wants to hang out here during the power outage, we can do that.  Particularly if it involves drinking.

Anyway, sorry - it's going to be just fine here in the Triangle.  Was just mentioning their evacuation.

...I have no idea where the evacuees are expected to sleep, though.  Inland hotels?  Does FEMA coordinate that at all, I wonder?  Seems like certain areas would rapidly get overbooked, and a lot of families would end up sleeping in their cars.
I assume FEMA shelters only start going up after the disaster, to handle returning evacuees...
She/they

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 11, 2018, 08:52:41 pm »

Depends on what the local area has ready and available, far as I'm aware. Can range quite a bit, from hotels to schools to RV parks. Not terribly sure on how much FEMA specifically is involved but various local-er disaster relief stuff is definitely included in whatever coordination is happening.

They're probably massively overworked and notably understaffed (and underfunded) right about now, incidentally, with it going to get worse in the immediate future. If you happen to meet someone in that line of work give them a hug or somethin'.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 08:54:26 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 11, 2018, 09:32:03 pm »

RedKing probably doesn't want to insert too much politics in here, so, instead of crossposting, I'll just link to my post on the Ameripol thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162538.msg7852100#msg7852100

WUnderground's Bob Henson is saying that there are signs that it could stall for a day or more.

Also, 11PM update shows it going significantly further south, kind of looping a bit south towards SC, and the landfall is more southerly.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:10:59 pm by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 11, 2018, 10:27:23 pm »

Just came home from seeing a gig in Raleigh, and passed what were obviously evacuees on I-40, headed west past at least Hillsborough. Kinda begs the question "how far inland is safe?" Do you turn north at some point and go into Virginia? Do you head for the Appalachians? The Gulf Coast? The track on this thing is still kinda wobbly post-landfall, so who knows...

As of 11pm, Florence is continuing to maintain speed and strength.
140mph top sustained winds, moving 17mph, central pressure 946mbar.

Track continues to move further south, with the median track line turning almost due west after hitting Wilmington, and moving into upcountry South Carolina. If that holds, North Carolina will have dodged a major bullet, but all those SC coastal evacuees might be in the shit if they were planning on hunkering down in Columbia or even Greenville/Spartanburg.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:34:54 pm by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 12, 2018, 07:59:01 am »

8am update:
Sustained winds have dropped to 130mph (just barely a Cat 4), though central pressure has dropped a bit further to 943mbar.

Projected track continues to slew south and west, with the bulk of the onshore path now in northern South Carolina.

EDIT:
Morning stats at Fort RedKing:

Eno River depth: 3.08' (37") -- we had some rain last night
Eno River flow rate: 179 ft^3/s
Precipitation(total in 1 hour):   0
2 hours:   0
3 hours:   0
6 hours:   0
12 hours:   0.01"
24 hours:   0.08"
2 days:   1.12"
7 days:   1.51"

Waffle House: OPEN
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 08:10:37 am by RedKing »

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 75