Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 76

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 116473 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2017 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #240 on: August 28, 2017, 01:37:43 pm »

Looks like stockholm to me!
Love, scriver~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 28, 2017, 01:49:49 pm »

At least they don't have to contend with the pumps keeping them from becoming a modern day Atlantis constantly breaking down.
It'd help. Conceptually a lot is (likely to end up being) better condition wise for recovery for SE tex than it was for louisiana. But, y'know. Better =/= good, and all that.

Will say, one thing this has definitely drove home for me is that us folks out here around the gulf... we can't really afford to keep fucking around. Once a decade storms of this magnitude of impact are apparently more than this general area can particularly rally from before the next hits, and there's better than even odds that rate is going to maintain or get more frequent.

If we don't get to the point we can handle cat 4+ hurricanes and historic flooding without needing recovery efforts like katrina's aftermath had, or harvey's is looking to have, we're going to attrition out with variable degrees of speed over the next two or three or so generations... couple hundred years, whatever. Or at least get to where we can recover in a much shorter time period. And/or, really. Both is good.

But... as is, we're not going to be able to get away much longer with flood control reservoirs that aren't built expecting shit we've never seen before, or regional flood insurance rates around 15%, or road conditions that can't manage to transport tens(/hundreds) of thousands without trouble even during heavy flooding, or coastal buildings that get knocked down by mere 140+ mph winds and multi-foot storm surges, and all the rest of it. Basically, the window for where not building what effectively are fortress cities geared for natural disaster is an option is shrinking. And, like. Single generation/lifetime shrinking, which is fucking terrifying if considering an environmental time scale.
I don't see that happening in Texas.  Upgrading a single highway in Texas to be 4 or 5 lanes would be like repairing every inch of another state's road network.  Too many people, too spread out, and with a political climate that favors small government and climate change denial.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 28, 2017, 01:54:10 pm »

Crosspost to the ameripol thread or somethin'? RK asked to take it elsewhere if it's not fairly relevant to the immediate stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 28, 2017, 02:41:56 pm »

Holy shit...  PTW
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 28, 2017, 07:34:32 pm »

And here we go. Mandatory evac orders for a couple houston subdivisions, states they (county flood whatever) think the possibility of a storm pump failure is high enough the people there need to get GTFO. Pretty sure there's also increasing worry of a levee breach pretty soon. Also very non-zero possibilities of dam failures in the near future. Basically reaching the point the already fucked system has reached or may soon reach its bullshit tolerance limit and is getting ready to nope on out of there and leave everyone to get buggered.

E: Also hey, RK, you wanted a go at gatornadoes? Nature may soon provide the chance.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:40:37 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 29, 2017, 01:43:09 am »

Given the amount of crap, I'm surprised the death toll is at only 3 so far. Really underscore how good the US is at not dying.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 29, 2017, 01:47:35 am »

Even the weather knows not to fuck with texas.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 29, 2017, 01:50:25 am »

I'm surprised given how long it's been since a major hurricane hit that there wasn't more "eh, what's the worst that could happen" going on. I guess "gigantic wet tornado" is easy enough to grasp for Texans.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 29, 2017, 04:18:53 am »

Holy shit that rivers got to be about 20 foot over normal levels , that's terrifying
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 29, 2017, 05:57:11 am »

Given the amount of crap, I'm surprised the death toll is at only 3 so far. Really underscore how good the US is at not dying.
Up to at least 9 by the last time I saw anything about it, actually. Family of six drowned after getting trapped in their vehicle.

It's also worth noting that no small amount of that low number is that it's very, very possible there's a fair few more than we're actually aware of. Hard to tell if there's a corpse inside a house that's a pile of debris or literally under water until folks start clearing stuff away and the flooding recedes. Disease is pretty certain to start killing people over the next few days/weeks, too. These sorts of things don't tend to have terribly high immediate body counts unless some holy shit level things happen, and even those tend to be lowballed in the beginning just due to lack of ability to confirm.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 05:59:41 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 29, 2017, 06:19:56 am »

Getting help into Houston is going to be hard. The two airports are out of operation, the runways have flooded. Seems like the only way to get to Houston is by boat.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 29, 2017, 06:31:20 am »

Technically we could have probably worked out exactly what was going to happen with Harvey, oh, several decades ago: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/29/a-storm-made-in-washington-215549

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 29, 2017, 06:35:20 am »

Eh, there's still roadways open mart. Open-ish. Some.

And, uh. Sheb. Might want to check those dates. Beyond it being primarily mud slides that did the killing, and that count being missing, rather than dead (which was 500-ish), that report's from a week later. After the flood stopped. Also the general region around freetown is about a third of the greater houston area which is currently getting dumped on.

It's been about two days in tex since the rains started. They're not done, yet.

Like. What I'm saying is that sierra leone was in a much better position to get those estimates that quickly.

E: Oh, and bloody hell max don't even start down that path. It's getting easy to notice the administrative/infrastructure fuckups involved in this that, while mostly haven't going over the enfuckering point, yet, are set to get to hard screwing, are not inconsiderate. Two of the six worst dams in the country are in the greater houston area, and are two of the ones currently trying to hold back this flooding.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:38:41 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 29, 2017, 07:15:54 am »

The NY Times has been citing a deathtoll of 10 for the last day or so. Casualties will continue to trickle in, but we won't learn about the true extent of the damage until the water levels stop rising and start receding.

Trump is going to be visiting Texas today, but he will not visit Houston so as to not put more pressure on the stretched abilities of the local government (that's the official reason anyway). Governor Abbot continues to be effusive in his praise of Trump, and Trump continues to be effusive in his praise of the response.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 76