Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75]

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 114741 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #1110 on: September 23, 2024, 04:58:18 pm »

Tropical Storm Helene is on her way!

Currently expected to hit West Florida Thursday afternoon and make her way North from there. It's going to be wet and windy!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2024, 08:31:12 pm by Folly »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: September 24, 2024, 07:12:32 pm »

blurble

Yeah, current local's suggesting we mostly skirt by on the winds but we're looking at it starting to rain tomorrow afternoon and then just not stopping until sometime friday. Some level of flooding real damn likely, basically. Hoping the forecast stays about like that.

still, if i wake up tomorrow and noaa's like "yeah d00d cat4 comin at yo house tomorrow" i'ma pack my pets up and go find somewhere else to sleep for a day or two
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 25, 2024, 06:38:40 pm »

Well... NOAA's not saying it's coming for my house, exactly (predictions are saying most of the worst of it's going to be east of me, though I'm still likely to catch tropical storm or cat 1 winds) so I haven't bailed (for all I'm kinda' regretting that, right now), but, uh.

Helene is indeed now expected to make landfall as a cat 4 tomorrow.

It's also apparently unusually large and going faster than normal, so, like. 61 out of 67 counties in florida are under state of emergency last I checked, and they're expecting major damage to hit as far up as the Appalachians. US southeast is basically going to get fucked in the next 48 hours, and... more or less all of it. Not just part.

If y'all don't see activity from me for a few weeks, either I'm dead or the power grid got knocked out for a month again, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 25, 2024, 08:01:00 pm »

Stay dry, Frumple!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 26, 2024, 12:11:34 pm »

Zero chance for that, but I'll settle for not dead, which is fairly likely. Local station thinks we're not going to see worse than 50-60 mph gusts, so, y'know, peanuts compared to east of me.

One tornado warning so far, hit a ways south of me but headed my direction, didn't make it into hearing range. Still power, somewhat surprisingly... there was a flicker early in the day but it's been steady, since. Currently relatively calm -- raining, still, but it's drizzle as opposed to the last couple hours of near to full whiteout -- took dog out.

Storm's forecast to peak here around midnight, though, so... worst is yet to come :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: September 26, 2024, 11:48:03 pm »

Hurricane Helene
27 Sep 2024 - 4:00 UTC ...EYEWALL OF EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY 4 HELENE MOVING QUICKLY INLAND OVER THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE... ...1200 AM EDT POSITION UPDATE... As of 12:00 AM EDT Fri Sep 27 the center of Helene was located near 30.3, -83.6 with movement NNE at 24 mph. The minimum central pressure was 938 mb with maximum sustained winds of about 140 mph.
Tropical Storm John
27 Sep 2024 - 3:00 UTC ...CENTER OF JOHN JUST OFFSHORE THE COAST OF THE MEXICAN STATE OF MICHOACAN... ...CATASTROPHIC FLASH FLOODING AND MUDSLIDES ONGOING OVER PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN AND SOUTHWESTERN MEXICO... As of 9:00 PM CST Thu Sep 26 the center of John was located near 17.9, -103.2 with movement NW at 5 mph. The minimum central pressure was 984 mb with maximum sustained winds of about 70 mph.
-----
Wow, a full whiteout. That is pretty crazy imo. Stay safe chief.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: September 27, 2024, 07:06:18 am »

Well, it's cleared up where I'm at. Brain keeps wanting to think it wasn't that bad for my area, and then I remember there were nearly half a dozen tornado warnings within twenty miles of me, so, like. It kinda' was bad? Just not specifically where I am, no noticeable storm damage outside the house, didn't even lose power. Worst of it was the tornado warnings probably shaving a year or two off my life, getting a message there's one of those things literally coming in your direction is a wee bit stressful.

Got lucky, basically, 'bout to check to see if the folks around me did, too.
Ask not!
Ask!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: September 27, 2024, 03:41:25 pm »

Relatives are stuck in TN (they were on a trip) and their kids are stuck at home in upstate SC (being watched by other relatives... but still!); SC home has no power.  They aren't sure how they're going to get back home, since most routes from TN to SC are underwater...  !
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 27, 2024, 04:04:30 pm »

Well... if there's no open roads it's wait for the flooding to clear or catch a plane, probably? Not exactly many other options...
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75]