Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Accelerated Depression?  (Read 470 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Accelerated Depression?
« on: September 30, 2015, 11:16:57 am »

I've been playing with a race of modded ☼Genetically Engineered Superdwarf☼s with higher attribute ranges; they also increase their attributes and skills 500 and 5 times faster respectively compared to normal dwarfs and suffer decay in neither. However, there seems to be some unanticipated side effects:
A) Immigrants show up not just with higher skills, but with a longer list of skills and enabled labors.
B) Strange Moods occur earlier in the fortress's life and possibly more frequently.
C) Depression-prone dwarves enter the stages of depression (tantrum throwing, depression, stumbling around obliviously) earlier in the fortress's life and possibly progress through them faster.

I figure that A) is just a consequence of modded ☼Genetically Engineered Superdwarf☼s being able to complete all tasks and learn more quickly than usual, while B could be explained by increased item production and mining rates (I don't think the number of dwarves with moodable professions has increased, but if it did that would also contribute). It's C) that boggles me. Does anyone have an explanation?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Accelerated Depression?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 05:25:30 pm »

Lots of strange things can and will happen when you start RAW editing. I doubt that anyone will have an explanation for you.

If it continues to be a problem, I think you can use one of the DFHack scripts to fix it.

Link to the DFHack Readme for more information.