Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven duty to nature.  (Read 1106 times)

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven duty to nature.
« on: March 28, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

One of my first waterworks projects was refilling all the nearby lakes for a more diverse ecosystem, using a nearby brook. (Do fish get sucked up in pumps and then pumped back out?)

Another thing is I've disabled hunting and most of the fishing so I don't depopulate the whole map, preferring to capture two of each species and breed them for food.

Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven duty to nature.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »

good luck?what are you asking here you dont really say and no fish just apear in water they spawn as far as i knowyou could always use a teleport utility to move them?
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »

Big fish like carp don't go through pumps, but I think little fish (the ones that count as vermin) spawn on the other side. I'm positive turtles do - you could dump a bucket of water into a hole in barren rock and it would have turtles. I have a fishing industry based on that fact.

That said, the only dwarven duty to Nature is to ruthlessly exploit it to further their grand designs of wealth and splendor!

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »

Wait a sec, so does this mean we could make a fishery-centric fortress? Seems keen.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 04:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Reasonableman:
<STRONG>Wait a sec, so does this mean we could make a fishery-centric fortress? Seems keen.</STRONG>

I have a fort where I slaughtered all my meat-bearing animals, stopped most of my growing (except for booze and cooking the resulting seeds), and yet I *still* have huge amounts of rotting fish everywhere.  But that's on the seashore.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »

Fish will spawn in a pool. However, once you separate the water from say a river, it becomes a pool and will only be fishable for pool creatures. You won't get any river fish.

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 08:56:00 pm »

Good idea.  I've been wondering how to get a sustainable supply of bone.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

For sustainable supply of bone I use the 100's of dogs, cats, donkeys and cattle that seem to be stampeding around my fort.

As for shells, I import turtle and cave lobster from the dwarven caravan.

Being able to have a large underground fish-factory does sound cool though.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 11:40:00 pm »

If you want to catch river fish without worrying about 'gators, hippos, and carp, you can dig out your own separate river branch but don't actually connect it.  Place some ramps along the sides for your dwarves' sake, then connect it to the river by carving the last tile on either end into fortifications.  Build a wall to keep land-capable river-dwellers out of your safe new river branch.

code:
        river
====================
+ fortifications +
\\              //
 ================

That's a simplified picture.

Point:  Your fisherdwarves can enjoy a more diverse array of fish at minimal risk.

[ March 29, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 12:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by jurassiced:
<STRONG>good luck?what are you asking here you dont really say and no fish just apear in water they spawn as far as i knowyou could always use a teleport utility to move them?</STRONG>

I'm just saying I do a little Ecological Engineering. My pools always dry up and in my last game I got message after message of "There is nothing to catch in the river."

So I figured I'd at least refill some of my pools, etc. and see how that goes.

(And we all make waterfalls because they are rad.)

And I'm kind of shy about utilities. I'm either a purist or dumb.

Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 07:15:00 am »

If you drain the pools and bring them underground, they don't dry up. I think you can still run out of fish if you fish them too heavily, but making a couple of pools fixes that - IIRC, after awhile of not being used the first one repopulates.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 11:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DonerKebab:
<STRONG>Good idea.  I've been wondering how to get a sustainable supply of bone.</STRONG>

I can vouch for the bounty of the sea.  I can't keep up with all the bones I'm producing with two fisherdwarves -- it's worse than stone.  I've made about 5,000 bolts this year.

FunnyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 06:22:00 am »

Maybe someone in here knows the answer to this one...

I'm on a map with no river/brook, an aquifer, and a volcano.  For a while, I had respawning animals and turtle coming out my ears, but now it's just... stopped.  The last animal I know I saw was a wolf killed by a merchant, and I haven't seen a turtle in at least a year.

The question is, is this a bug, or did I just over-fish/-hunt the map?  And in the latter case, is there anything I can do to get turtles or wild animals back?  I've tried digging a very large fishing area into my aquifer, but no turtles showed up.

Beta Tester's Motto: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.