Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: World of Darkness (test campaign) Scene 1  (Read 6959 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: World of Darkness (test campaign) Scene 1
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 03:50:32 pm »

Maddy did what she did best. Or worst, depending on how you looked at it.

"Why hi there," she said to some rando. "Is there real alcohol in that bar?"
Socialize! Also, see if there's anyone who knows more about the situation then the others. There has to be someone, right?

[Socialize+Manipulation=8

1, 9, 5, 5, 7, 6 10!, 4

(Clues Gathered by Maddy: 3/10)]

Madeline is (my mistake, was) naturally ingratiating-she made people feel better by subtly demeaning herself. A few people opened to up her folksy charm, probably against their natural inclinations...she gatherds a few tidbits, though most of them seem to be sort of dazed. In a fugue, she would call it. Odd...

"...A repairman..."
"...A County Clerk..."
"...Exterminator..."

It strikes as extremely odd that the people here have such varying jobs and realms of expertise. It occurs to her-for the first time-that she's not quite sure what job or jobs are actually being offered. Much like Agris, the thoughts cause her a bit of worry, but they flit away before she can a mental hand on them. That fog is on her, too, and she seems to be getting tired quicker than usual...she thinks 'I'm getting old', for the thousand thousandth time.

A cute looking girl with short blonde hair, all of 17, seemed willing to talk with Maddy further-thought, she was distracted by her cellphone, constantly chirping away at it.

"...Yeah, I saw the ad and I was like-wow! I think they'll hire me. *chirp chirp chirp* ...I can type really fast, and my handwriting is good...*chirp chirp chirp* ...they always need typists...hope they hire teenagers, I could use the money...*chirp chirp chirp* ...also, there are, like, bottles behind the bar..*eye roll, chirp chirp chirp* ...but, I don't think it's real alcohol. It almost looks like, well you know...*chirp chirp chirp* ...props. Like, fake bottles...*chirp chirp chirp* ...like, it doesn't look real...*chirp chirp chirp* ...that's pretty funny. A joke..."

A small, confused frown. Her bright, young eyes seem to be clouded in confusion. Then a shrug, a shaky, toothy smile reappears.

"...Yeah, a joke...*chirp chirp chirp* ...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 03:55:03 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 03:55:29 pm »

"Agris, good woman," Agris replies. "I will not disturb," he then says, moving on without much more fanfare.

Continue mingling and socializing. These people seem rather odd, don't they?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 04:07:37 pm »

[Socialize+Manipulation=5

8, 6, 5, 3, 10!

(Clues Gathered by Agris: 5/10)]

Agris thinks they are exceedingly odd. Not one person here seems to be competing for the same job. They are of all ages, from 17 to Maddy, with at least three quarters being women. He picks up the same fuzzy, drunken looks from many people. And feels the same thing in himself, though he hasn't anything to drink himself-recently, anyway. Agris feels tired, and he has a moment of alarm, for this is against his very nature. He tries to think about that...and then, he feels that ungodly itching in the place where his legs used to be, starting up again. It doesn't even make any sense to him. But, there you have it. His doctors have told him it's purely mental, a sort of 'phantom limb' syndrome. So, how come he can't just pretend it doesn't exist? Ahh...it's like having ants crawl on your skin...invisible ants...he has to try hard not to swat at his stumps. It doesn't help anyway. Agris is a man who knows what it's like to have an itch you can't scratch, and it's really bothering him. Hard to think...hard to concentrate...

When he comes back to himself, and the feeling abates, the portly man he was was talking to (with an unfortunately obvious hairpiece) has gone back to his newspaper. Oddly enough, he seems to be reading the paper upside down.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 04:09:41 pm »

Diane decides to talk to people. Maybe someone knows what kind of job they're applying for?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 04:12:08 pm »

While Maddie should have realized that they were all in a fugue (or a fu-guu as she called it), she was not only trusting of authority but a citizen of the World of Darkness. While in our world curious humans found food in the dark and dull humans starved in the light, introducing monsters in the shadows made things go backwards.

I'm sure it's the excitement in the air, she thought. No one gets enough sleep these days anyway! That's why they're so dazed...

Something made Maddie sour.

I'm getting old, she thought. Too old for this crud.

"What a nasty joke. Young people tend to drink so much these days," she said after the silence caused by staring into space lifted. "In my day, it was one bottle of some cheeky Chatty whatsacallit and you were finished. Do you drink?"
Don't be impolite, get to know the young lady!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 04:14:50 pm »

Knowing her luck there'd probably be a cook in the kitchen, chopping up some bodies in some Silence of the Lambs sort of shit.

She opened the door to the hallway, glad her gloves wouldn't leave any fingerprints, and carefully peered out. Her bat was tucked into her heavy jacket as she looked for signs of life.

Where would the kid be? And how to retrieve the brat?

Worst came to the worst, she could go full on kidnapper. There was more to a gun than bullets. A gun was a symbol. She'd heard that some philospher guy had said "All power rests at the barrel of the gun", or something like that.

She'd try to tell the daft bitch to come with her first, though. Maybe she's been picked out as unsuccessful? Her father has a message? Shit, she should have grabbed her earlier, but dear old dad had left telling her about his daughter to the last second.

If she was a monster, where would she bring her victims? Up. So they couldn't escape as easily..

Cautiously head into the hallway. Look for stairs up. The bat is stuffed into her jacket, so it's not so obvious at first glance.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 04:16:07 pm »

A... strange thing, and a stranger place. It seems... quite...

Agris remembers something. Writing. It is something you cannot read in a dream. Could he be dreaming? It... everything... has that certain feel to it.

What is written in the upside-down newspaper? Does it seem unusual in some way?

Are there any clocks? Did Agris bring his wristwatch? What time do they show?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 04:20:59 pm by Harry Baldman »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 04:44:25 pm »

Diane decides to talk to people. Maybe someone knows what kind of job they're applying for?

[Socialize+Manipulation=5

10!, 10!, 2
9, 6

(Clues Gathered by Diane: 5/10)]

Diane makes her own rounds-something about her always seems to get attention. She's never thought herself pretty, but men are less discerning, and somewhat forgiving in this arena. She doesn't have to fight nearly as hard getting through the fog to get peoples notice, and doesn't feel it as heavy as the others.

She too, puts together the strange variety of people, wondering how Twinhall can possibly be looking to hire so many. She briefly wonders why they need a doctor, but this concept is quickly banished. Like a circuit breaker being switched in her mind, something will not allow her to pursue this line of thought.

Diane notices, for her own part, the group is sort of...monocolor. It's a bit embarrassing, it's not like you could say this out loud without sounding racist...but, nearly all the people here are Caucasian. Something snaps out of place. Of course, that's impossible. Even if white collar jobs would tend to be inclusive or exclusive (she doesn't know, as a rule), how could they arrange a random ad to make sure only certain people would attend?

A momentary confusion, and her mind clears. But, doubts remain. Questions...but, she needs this job...she needs to calm down. Stop thinking these strange things.

She really feels the need to sit down, and wait to be called.

"What a nasty joke. Young people tend to drink so much these days," she said after the silence caused by staring into space lifted. "In my day, it was one bottle of some cheeky Chatty whatsacallit and you were finished. Do you drink?"
Don't be impolite, get to know the young lady!

The young lady gives you the cursed teenage raised eyebrow, and a look that implies you might be part of a law enforcement establishment.

"...Oh, no, never. I can't even get beer at my age...why would I drink?...not me...beer makes you fat..." she says, evasively.

A... strange thing, and a stranger place. It seems... quite...

Agris remembers something. Writing. It is something you cannot read in a dream. Could he be dreaming? It... everything... has that certain feel to it.

What is written in the upside-down newspaper? Does it seem unusual in some way?

Are there any clocks? Did Agris bring his wristwatch? What time do they show?

The newspaper didn't seem unusual. Just a copy of the Minds Eye, a local rag. The front page story (inverted) was just another modern penny dreadful. Another dozen so-and-so's, gunned down and/or blown up in someplace-or-the-other, group-x-promises-unending-revenge-on-group-y. Nothing surprising there. Depressing, but not surprising.

Agris looked at his watch and frowned. It seemed to have stopped. At 7'oclock sharp.

Which, was exactly the time he got here.

(Clues Gathered by Agris: 6/10)

Knowing her luck there'd probably be a cook in the kitchen, chopping up some bodies in some Silence of the Lambs sort of shit.

She opened the door to the hallway, glad her gloves wouldn't leave any fingerprints, and carefully peered out. Her bat was tucked into her heavy jacket as she looked for signs of life.

Where would the kid be? And how to retrieve the brat?

Worst came to the worst, she could go full on kidnapper. There was more to a gun than bullets. A gun was a symbol. She'd heard that some philospher guy had said "All power rests at the barrel of the gun", or something like that.

She'd try to tell the daft bitch to come with her first, though. Maybe she's been picked out as unsuccessful? Her father has a message? Shit, she should have grabbed her earlier, but dear old dad had left telling her about his daughter to the last second.

If she was a monster, where would she bring her victims? Up. So they couldn't escape as easily..

Cautiously head into the hallway. Look for stairs up. The bat is stuffed into her jacket, so it's not so obvious at first glance.

Careful steps. Your own footsteps never sound so loud, as when you are trying to go unheard. I know.

Alice recalls some important facts about this job. The Girl is your typical overachiever-Father rich as King Shit of Turd Hill, but refuses out of pride to mooch off him, dedicates herself to being a doctor. She was looking for a job. Was lured into looking at dweomer in a local newspaper, and it's doubtful she was the only one-the spell wasn't targeted to one person, just certain people. There will be more than one person 'looking for a job'-and that job will probably entail sliding down the lower intestine of some evil critter.

The hallways is plush, richly adorned. Candles for lighting, in rich crystal. Nice carpets, probably cost more than her car. Alice thinks, dryly, that if the job goes bust she can come at least ransack the place before the leaving...

Tap, tap. Down the hall. Nobody home. Just a line of empty offices with no names on the doors. At the end of the hall, to one side, a thick metal door she is sure will go to the stairs. And straight ahead, the elevator.  Elevators easier...and if she listened closely, she might be able to hitch a ride with some late comers. Of course, the games on then, isn't it? They (whoever they are) will know she's here-which might be good or bad, if she's recognized or not. They might have shitty security, but they are surely keeping an eye on the whores-devours (a bad joke of Alice's sister, it's odd where these things crop up). Otherwise, sneak up the stairs. Try to snatch the Girl when the time looks right, of make it right somehow. Or...maybe some lateral thinking is required. This place has to have some answers. Assuming she's interested in answers.

What do you think she did then? (Player Action)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 04:49:39 pm »

She does just that. Sitting down that is. Diane glances at her watch- it must have been at least 15 minutes by now, right? After that, she looks around the room. Are there any fewer people in the room than when Diane got there? It'd make sense that some people would have been called by now.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 04:50:57 pm »

Agris blinks a few times, then moves on, casting a discerning eye about him. This... is not quite a dream.

Is there someone watching? Is there a camera recording? Are there people more out of place than Agris? Does anyone have an air of knowledge about them?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 05:03:38 pm »

Oh dear, does she really think we're going to squeak on her? Convince her to open up a little with a few reassurances.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:34:51 pm by Fniff »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 07:04:13 pm »

Stairs. Finding out hard way that there was some kind of nasty creature waiting at the top wouldn't be so great. Perhaps once she was done and she's got the girl, she'd come back with a can of gasoline and a match...

By that point, anyway, anyone still inside would probably see it as a mercy.

She kept a careful count on the levels ascended an an eye on the enviroment - were some floors more degraded than others? Did some lack elevator doors?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 10:53:17 am »

She does just that. Sitting down that is. Diane glances at her watch- it must have been at least 15 minutes by now, right? After that, she looks around the room. Are there any fewer people in the room than when Diane got there? It'd make sense that some people would have been called by now.

She immediately noticed her watch had seemed to have stopped recently. Around the time she got to this interview. Diane immediately thinks that's probably a sign of bad luck.

(Clues Gathered by Diane: 6/10)

Looking about, she was sure no one has been called yet...

As if her thoughts summoned them (Which, of course, they did) a well dressed man chose that moment to appear from the rich hardwood doors, flanked by two silent, hulking bodyguards. She couldn't say, at first glance, if the man was handsome or ugly, or what sort of nationality he might have been. He was sort of non-descript, businessman sort of guy. Yet with the air of a lack of power and command. A flunky, is the word she was thinking of. When he spoke, his voice was queerly without inflection.

"Thank you all for your patience. Welcome to Twinhall." He said tonelessly, his eyes unblinking, his body stock still. "We'll be calling names now. I wish you all the best of luck." He says, commenting on the weather.

"Cicada, Angel" He announces mechanically.

He announces. A young woman from the back listlessly rises, crosses the room, and obediently passes through the large doors between the two guards. Silence reigns.

Agris blinks a few times, then moves on, casting a discerning eye about him. This... is not quite a dream.

Is there someone watching? Is there a camera recording? Are there people more out of place than Agris? Does anyone have an air of knowledge about them?

[Wits=2
8, 7]

(Clues Gathered by Agris: 7/10)

Agris didn't see any cameras or recording equipment...yet, he'd be a fool if he didn't admit he felt he was being watched. Of course, he is a fool, so he dismissed that thought immediately. Yet, not entirely. That pearl was getting bigger...

...And, so what if they are watching him, he thinks? They are probably judging how good a worker he will make.

And the rest? Still, slumped in their seats, almost in a state of shock. No help there.

Names are being called
. Agris thinks. He has been through the process of becoming a citizen of the United States, and he originally thought being the first to be called in many sorts of groups, was merely a happy coincidence. Once he mastered the intricacies of the English language, he realized it's because his name usually came near to the top of any alphabetical list. Which they seem to be using.

He can't help but feel a bit excited at the prospect of his new job.

Oh dear, does she really think we're going to squeak on her? Convince her to open up a little with a few reassurances.

[Maddy/Manipulation+Persuasion=4+3=7

9, 9, 5, 3, 1, 6, 4

vs

Selena/Composure+Presence=3+2=5

10, 1, 7, 4, 3

Result=Maddy (2 successes) vs Selena (1 success)
Minor Success for Maddy]

(Clues Gathered by Maddy: 4/10)]

The girl seems a bit wary, but Maddy managed to charmed her a bit. And got her to put away the cellphone, which the young women did with the gravity of a grizzled veteran warrior temporarily sheathing her broadsword.

"...Oh, it's nothing. It's just...I feel like I'm being watched. Like candid camera. You know you can hide a camera in a pinhole, right? That's the only way...all this...makes sense. Right? For all I know you could be an actress, or something. Get me to say something funny, and then it's on youtube! A million hits! I don't want to say anything...um, odd, in case they are watching...

Also, my name is Selena...Selena Roman...uh, sorry if I seemed rude..."

Maddy doesn't know what a 'youtube' is, but she assumes it's a television program of some sort.
 ((OOC: The above line may or not be true depending on maddys technoliteracy :P))

Stairs. Finding out hard way that there was some kind of nasty creature waiting at the top wouldn't be so great. Perhaps once she was done and she's got the girl, she'd come back with a can of gasoline and a match...

By that point, anyway, anyone still inside would probably see it as a mercy.

She kept a careful count on the levels ascended an an eye on the environment - were some floors more degraded than others? Did some lack elevator doors?

Our good friend Alice chose the stairs, much to her later dismay.

*step, step, step*

Hiking up the seemingly endless spiral of concrete stairs, counting floors-and occasionally poking her head out of the door to check adjoining hallways. She saw no sign the building was anything but unused. No signs of habitation, or that it had even been inhabited. Only the sort of impersonal cleaning services that kept the place free of dust and mold. The building also was depressingly boring. Every floor seemed to have the same, or slightly varying layout-a hallway, offices, elevator doors, candles, black ceiling fans. Not a one for heavy thought, Alice, but she does wonder if the straight life really entails working in a place like this, day in and day out-and, that those people keep their sanity somehow? Probably by extramarital affairs and plotting to murder their co-workers...she also briefly wonders how they lit all these candles, and how none of them seem to have gone out, and why they went to the trouble. But, only briefly. She's learned not to waste time thinking about the why. There's usually not any real answer, and if there is one you probably don't want to know.

She counted herself up to the 11th floor, before her wandering thoughts were interrupted.

That, was when she heard the sound, coming from far below her, but not too far-and getting closer. A sort of rattling, chittering, snaky noise, like links of metal over stone. Bike Chains?, her stupid brain suggested to her, helpfully. It then assisted her by manufacturing the truly terrifying mental image of a giant metal snake made of bike chains surging up the stairway toward her eagerly, it's segments clattering and clanking, it's gaping mouth a vortex of whirling, gnashing, steel links. It added another grisly, quite imaginative image of what might happen to her body if she got caught-and then, to finish it off, some soap opera-ish scenes of a sad little funeral attended by no one, but a drunken priest with a bottle in one hand a bible in the other-because of course, if she died here, her sister would be be broke, out on the streets-busy whoring herself out just to eat, and had no time to mourn over the the landfill Alice's empty shoebox would be buried in, via an ugly bulldozer driven by a fat man with gold teeth, along with dozens of the other scumbags and invisible people.

Alice reflected at that moment she should probably watch less TV before going on jobs...

She knew whatever it was, she had to act fast. (Player Action)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 12:18:48 pm »

Alphabetization or not, there are a great number of benefits to being first. Cuts down on the nervousness. Makes things smooth. Before you even know what's about to happen, you're already done! Quick and painless, just the way it should be, Agris thought as he glanced down at his absence of legs.

Agris straightens out, composes himself, breathing deeply as he focuses on the room, and then the callers. He must steady his mind and concentrate, clear the residual mouthwash and the foggy lack of understanding.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 02:34:39 pm »

She was compelled to sit. Not to sit silently. She decides to strike up conversation with whoever was nearest her.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5