Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: goblin fortress  (Read 1290 times)

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
goblin fortress
« on: January 20, 2008, 12:28:00 am »

lol i tried my first fortress trying to survive with a goblin fortress nearby, lol i started on top of the fortress surrounded by ~29 goblins my first goblin survival fortress lasted about 20 seconds.

feel free to share your ridiculous experiences also.

NahNahNahNah_SLUGMAN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: goblin fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 04:09:00 am »

I started on a cliff near a one part of a goblin fortress, but far above the 4 other pieces. Somehow I managed to rush the top fortress and kill the 5 inhabitants. To stop the goblins from finding their way up, I floored over the stairs and started building beds and workshops in the fortress. Then I got the bright idea to start a lovely waterfall to cheer them dwarves up and subsequently teach the goblins to swim. Lag and boredom finally claimed that fortress, but the dwarves at least had a good laugh.

[ January 20, 2008: Message edited by: NahNahNahNah_SLUGMAN ]

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 08:52:00 am »

I got the exact same thing, except with kobolds, so I didn't even know I was in for trouble until the arrows started flying the second we arrived.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 10:07:00 am »

My first fort in 3d:
Me: oooh look free stuff in that tower, Hmm its not being stockpiled
couple of minutes playing round
Me: aaaah they're forbiden
I unforbid items
Dwarfs proceed into the tower and somehow manage to get quite far before being spotted
Goblins: Hmm these dwarfs sure are tasty

[ January 20, 2008: Message edited by: thatguyyaknow ]

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Fenrir

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 10:15:00 am »

My dwarves somehow got the wagon up to the very top of the tower and in the middle of a group of guards. Before you could say "Holy carp!", every last dwarf was gunned down.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »

The goblin towers are so fun to fight in. I got about 30 gobs before they got me. Bring lots of war dogs and ambushers if you want to survive. Just bring a tiny bit of food.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 07:28:00 pm »

I love starting out in such places.  I haven't ever started direcly in the middle of them like that, but I like to pick places with them, and the stray goblins have often spotted me all too quickly.  I like to immediately dig a dual-level mote (simply the height is enough to prevent things from getting to my wagon supplies) around my wagon, and dig into the earth.  Once indoors, one can strategically dig under rivers to begin one's farming operation, and begin hauling everything to store rooms.  Later, a drawbridge is built, which is only lowered when merchants and newcomers arrive, if at all.  It's the hermit approach to survival.  I find I can get a lot done by digging deep below the fortressed, and making alternate entrances while keeping drawbridges up, such that they bring the caravans near enough to the enemy fortress that they take care of much of it themselves.  Always remember to have traps in your cooridor, though: one time they noticed my alternate entrance and I, with still 7 dwarves lacking in any fighting skills, was quickly besieged by several goblins, which killed that digger.  They didn't get any more, as the cooridor was long, and I managed to get a wall built to block it off before so they could not proceed anyway.  The caravan just used the bridge that day...