Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sizzle: My first attempt at a dubstep/glitch track  (Read 682 times)

PkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • DJ ACE
    • View Profile
    • My Soundcloud
Sizzle: My first attempt at a dubstep/glitch track
« on: September 28, 2015, 01:33:26 pm »

My first attempt at a dubstep/glitch track. Please tell me what you think, cheers.
Any tips as how to make it sound better or if i should use different techniques or master the track better are welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/pkgamerprods/sizzle

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Sizzle: My first attempt at a dubstep/glitch track
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 12:44:52 pm »

It feels kind of...flat.  You've got a single melody going (all in the higher register), without really having any build up or distorted sections aside from the synth after the drop at 1:09.  Even then, it's unaccompanied.

As a matter of fact, I think the reason I find myself unsatisfied with the track is because a single melody without accompaniment is uninteresting.  For example, from 1:45 to 1:57 the interlude is decent - were it coming out of a heavily built up section, the single instrument break would be a welcome reprieve.  The problem is that the most of the track is just a single instrument (without many of the heavy bass/treble aspects common in dubstep (you're using a single keyboard, I think?)) with the occasional uninteresting hiss-snap of a high hat punctuating the beat.  Rockbands don't consist of a single guitar and a drummer - there's other things going on while the lead guitar is playing.  The bass player, the keyboard, vocals, sometimes even a secondary guitar.  You leave too much empty space, and while your beat is solid it suffers for it.  Even a simple, single, continuous note that slowly changes in pitch would give the ear something else to listen to while the lead melody does it's thing.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: Sizzle: My first attempt at a dubstep/glitch track
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 02:58:18 pm »

As far as production goes, everything sounds like it's at the front, there's no depth in the mix. You should work on your processing a bit more. Never be afraid of reverb, just keep it under your control. You can sidechain it in the mixer if you want a 'bigger' sound without carrying over into the rest of the mix, and apply exciters or other "analog" effects to give the synth a less straight-forward sound. For a good mono production, rule of thumb is low-pass will bring synths backwards in the mix/make stuff sound a little further away, high-pass will leave room in the back for your kick and should be sidechained if you want that hard thump of modern EDM (not that I make EDM, grain of salt etc.) Stuff like Maximus does an even better job of this by applying an attack/release curve to your filters like a boring old compressor, but you can accomplish that without maximus by clever use of an equalizer, automating its fader.

If you don't know sidechaining and mid/side processing I can help, otherwise if you do or you'd rather learn on your own, using some reverb on the side channel (if you're using FL Studio, Reverb 2 has a side-input option) is a nice way to thicken up your sound without affecting clarity of the mono (center) presence.

Let me know if I'm speaking gobbledegook/you need clarification, that's not my intent at all. I'd like to help :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:16:19 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044